PDA

View Full Version : Star Heater?

Fixxah
09-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Any ideas for using a heater other than the one Magma makes? I am new to casting and stumbled onto this forum. So much reading, so little time.:-D

Artful
09-15-2008, 12:52 AM
Any ideas for using a heater other than the one Magma makes? I am new to casting and stumbled onto this forum. So much reading, so little time.:-D

I don't use one on mine now that I'm in Arizona just put it out on the back porch and it's heated for me, but when I was in Oregon used to wrap with the heating wires used for wrapping the pipes to keep from freezing - you plug it in and it heats up warm but not hot. I used a spiral then put foam over it help keep the heat in. It was cheap and I think I remember getting the tip from NRA magazine back in the 70's.

EDK
09-15-2008, 02:07 AM
Midwayusa has one that fits the STAR, LYMAN, RCBS and SAECO lubri sizers for around $43 in the current catalog. It has worked well for me for years. I'm a little nervous about heat and electricity, so I just bought one rather than try to "jury rig" something.

:Fire::castmine::redneck:

copdills
09-15-2008, 02:24 AM
Welcome to the forum

garandsrus
09-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Fixxah,

I just warm the press with a hair dryer for a few minutes. I am not using super hard lubes though.

John

Fixxah
09-15-2008, 06:32 PM
I just broke down and ordered one from Magma. Thanks for the replies. I use Star's Red lube which requires heat.

After I set up Star on Sat. I preheated with a heat gun but got it too warm. After a little cooling, I used a 100w light bulb but it was a PITA. Banged out 600 LRN in about 2 hrs. which I consider an accomplishment, all things considered.

Fixxah
09-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Welcome to the forum

Thank you very much, I plan on learning a lot.:)

jawjaboy
09-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Midwayusa has one that fits the STAR, LYMAN, RCBS and SAECO lubri sizers for around $43 in the current catalog. It has worked well for me for years. I'm a little nervous about heat and electricity, so I just bought one rather than try to "jury rig" something.

:Fire::castmine::redneck:

Sure does. Has mounting bolt patterns for all four of them. Got one myself. Works like a champ.

colbyjack
09-15-2008, 10:51 PM
i use a iron and a 1/4" plate it works well heats up fast then i shut it off and it stays warm for a hour.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/hawgz/firstboolits007.jpg
-chris