PDA

View Full Version : 32 Long Colt Sizing Die

BCB
06-03-2018, 12:30 PM
I had one made for me 15 years ago or there about…

It was made using a 7/8” x 14 stud bolt for a truck wheel. The machinist did a good job, using the dimensions I gave him, and I have been using it since then. But, it doesn’t seem to resize the case enough as I have been learning during my recent resurrection of reloading for that little cartridge…

I e-mailed RCBS about a custom die and I got no reply back…

Is there a factory die for some other cartridge that might work to resize this case, or is custom likely the only way to go?...

Thanks…BCB

jimkim
06-03-2018, 12:34 PM
Have you seen this set?

https://www.buffaloarms.com/32-long-colt-die-set-4d-4d32longcolt

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

Guesser
06-03-2018, 12:40 PM
CH4D catalogs dies for 32 Colt, Long & Short.

corbinace
06-03-2018, 12:41 PM
Jimkim's link is to the same manufacturer I was going to mention.
My CH4D dies work great. I believe they sell direct as well and their customer service is super.

BCB
06-03-2018, 01:18 PM
Are these 2 or 3 die sets?...

Guess they would need an expander die for straight wall. So, maybe 3-die set?...

Thanks...BCB

corbinace
06-03-2018, 02:23 PM
Mine is three and then I have another special die for crimping from (Old West Bullets???) (old timers kicking in)

BCB
06-03-2018, 02:36 PM
Mine is three and then I have another special die for crimping from (Old West Bullets???) (old timers kicking in)

Yea, I have that crimping die also...

I have rigged my reloading equipment for the 32 LC for sometime...

I think it is time to get a good set of dies...

I use a 9mm Luger seating die to seat the heel boolits I shoot!...

Thanks...BCB

AntiqueSledMan
06-03-2018, 05:01 PM
BCB,

I thought I read somewhere that someone was using a LEE .314 Bullet Sizing Die as a sizer for 32 L.C.
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0000690044/lube-and-size-kit-point314-diameter

AntiqueSledMan

Petrol & Powder
06-03-2018, 05:17 PM
Redding offers 3 die sets for the 32 Long Colt but they are only available as custom dies. I would imagine they are pricey.

jimkim
06-03-2018, 06:03 PM
Redding offers 3 die sets for the 32 Long Colt but they are only available as custom dies. I would imagine they are pricey.I'm wondering if they are outsourced to CH4D. I read, in a very dated article, that CH4D does some work for Redding, and several other companies, one being Pacific, another one Herters. Did I mention it was dated?

Petrol & Powder
06-03-2018, 06:38 PM
I don't know if CH4D makes products for Redding but I sort of doubt it.
Redding is headquartered in NY and CH4D is in OH. Redding is rightfully proud of their machining skills and I don't see them farming out work like that. I don't know for sure but I think Redding is more than capable of producing any type of die they want.

BCB
06-03-2018, 06:47 PM
BCB,

I thought I read somewhere that someone was using a LEE .314 Bullet Sizing Die as a sizer for 32 L.C.
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0000690044/lube-and-size-kit-point314-diameter

AntiqueSledMan

That's interesting. I never gave that a thought. It sure would be less $$$$$$ if it would work...

Will check out the dimensions of the 32 LC to see if it might be possible...

Thanks...BCB

BCB
06-04-2018, 09:38 AM
Have you seen this set?

https://www.buffaloarms.com/32-long-colt-die-set-4d-4d32longcolt

Went there and looked: OUT OF STOCK...

Those seem to be the most common words used today, no matter what you are buying...

Good-luck...BCB

Wayne Smith
06-06-2018, 08:00 AM
Give Dave Davidson (CH4D) a call. He usually keeps his stock up.

jimkim
06-06-2018, 01:53 PM
Sorry it was out of stock. I didn't see that when I looked. If nothing else, you can use the Lee bullet sizing die, that was mentioned earlier. I'd put(actually I would just make my own, if I couldn't find one, but not everybody has that option) it in a lathe(or have it done at a shop), and face off the chamfer though. After you get the sizer, I guess you could use any 32 pistol cartridge seating die.

I looked a hardened steel and carbide drill bushings earlier. If you could find one with the right diameter, you could ream a die body out, and press a bushing in it. If you do, don't forget the loctite.

If you have a trade school nearby, you can probably get them to make something usable.

NoZombies
06-06-2018, 01:56 PM
As a sizing die, the Lee bullet sizing die can work, although I didn't find I really needed to size my brass much. For forming brass you'll need some other steps in between.

Chev. William
06-08-2018, 11:03 PM
A Letter Size "O" Drill bushing is .3160" diameter; which will size a case to fit a Chamber designed for .32 Long (RF) or .32 Long Colt (CF) cartridges.

McMaster-Carr or Granger are other Commercial Suppliers of Drill Bushings.
Conservatively, a !/2" Outside Diameter Bushing would have enough wall thickness to withstand ANY Sizing forces involved in a .32 Long Colt Case.

Chev. William

Chev. William
06-25-2018, 01:15 AM
I ran a .327 Fed. Mag. case into a "O" (.316") Drill Bushing mounted in a machined PT&G Blank Reloading Die body and it came out ~.315" at the Mouth and ~.317" at the Web area. The rim was NOT touched.

I took my time making up this experimental Sizing Die and only tried it for the first time swaging a case today. Earlier I checked it with purchased .32 Colt Long cases; with no issues found.
I did Lube the case BEFORE attempting the swaging process!
Unlubed Brass WILL 'stick' in Hardened Steel Alloy Drill Bushings from my direct experience.

Chev. William