PDA

View Full Version : Haul for the day

TaylorS
06-01-2018, 05:01 PM
My father in law handed me about 15# of lead pipe and stained glass window solder and frame. Should all this be about pure lead? Or what would the likely alloy be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bangerjim
06-01-2018, 05:34 PM
The solder is at least 50/50 Sn/Pb. Stain glass window cane is generally almost pure. Pipe is pure

Chill Wills
06-01-2018, 08:01 PM
Don't assume the window came (spelled with an "M", came) is almost pure Pb. It is most likely some kind of alloy. Window came relies on strength pure lead does not have. Common strong came alloys can be had in many variations.

One supplier states "We start with 100% pure lead to which we add exacting quantities of tin, antimony, copper, and bismuth."
And goes on to say:

Choose from a variety of five different lead alloys. Custom alloys are also available for projects that have specific certification requirements.

Extra Soft Came - Commonly used by artists who like a malleable product to work with.
Regular Came - Most popular in restoration projects.
#2 Alloy - Medium strength and also our best selling lead came (Do not confuse #2 for percentage of antimony).
4% Antimony - Significantly stronger than #2.
6% Antimony - Our strongest alloy.

bangerjim
06-01-2018, 09:33 PM
All came (thank you computer for correcting what I REALLY meant to type!) I have ever found in many years in the scrap yards was darned near pure Pb. I treat it all as pure. There mabe be many variations/evolutions in new stuff sold today, but the old antique stuff I find is very soft.

The old stuff I get in scrap yards is soft and very plyable.

New stuff———-the sky’s the limit. I rarely see new came (checked the spelling B4 posting, thank you!!!!!!!!) in the scrap yards.

Bangerjim

dikman
06-02-2018, 02:19 AM
Should've checked "plyable" too. :lol: I don't think your computer likes you.....

jsizemore
06-02-2018, 09:10 AM
I melt came separate from pure because of the solder joints. Tin in the mix ain't pure lead. Period. Pipe with solder joints get the same treatment.

lightman
06-02-2018, 09:15 AM
Thats a good Father in Law!

TaylorS
06-02-2018, 02:43 PM
Indeed I’ll probably cut the purer parts off for soft loads and add the rest to the alloy pot for ingots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbosman
06-03-2018, 07:44 PM
Some came has a layer of zinc. Use a sharp knife to section some and look at it under a magnifying glass. You can see the ply if there is one.