PDA

View Full Version : Indoor range fees?

ShooterAZ
06-01-2018, 11:30 AM
I normally shoot outdoors for free, but the forests and public lands are all off limits to shooting due to fire restrictions. Just wondering what you all are paying for shooting at your local indoor range. I have never shot at an indoor range, our new range charges $18/hour. This does not seem too unreasonable, but it's not quite as good as free!

Reloading Rod
06-01-2018, 11:33 AM
Mine range between $15 to $20 for indorr, I have a outside range that is $50 a year.

marlin39a
06-01-2018, 11:55 AM
I've got an indoor range in Prescott Valley, about 35 miles away. I won't pay to shoot, and have to leave my brass. Just doing a lot of casting and reloading. Illegal to discharge as much as a BB gun here due to fire restrictions. They just closed off a big piece of the Prescott National Forest this morning. Hoping for some good monsoon rains.

ShooterAZ
06-01-2018, 12:04 PM
Yeah, this year has been really bad. They implemented the first fire restrictions here in April...earliest I can remember. I think we're probably looking at late July at a minimum before they open the forest back up.

farmerjim
06-01-2018, 12:09 PM
How can you start a fire with a gun?
I have read stories of lost hunters that tried to start fires by shooting into kindling, pulling the bullet and shooting into kindling, and all they did was disperse the kindling. A flare gun or a tracer might do it.

reddog81
06-01-2018, 12:15 PM
My local indoor ranges advertise $20 per hour, but will let you stay as long as you want for $20 assuming no one else is waiting for your lane.

ShooterAZ
06-01-2018, 12:16 PM
I guess if a bullet strikes a rock it can create sparks. I think just walking in the dry grass around here could start a fire, it's that dry.

Idaho45guy
06-01-2018, 12:17 PM
We had a big forest fire here last year (in fact I'm taking my ATV riding up there today) that was started by target shooters.

Of course, they were shooting containers of tannerite, so...

marek313
06-01-2018, 02:29 PM
My local indoor ranges advertise $20 per hour, but will let you stay as long as you want for $20 assuming no one else is waiting for your lane.

Same here as long as nobody is waiting I've shot 2 hours and paid for 1. I prefer to shoot outside and since local PD just closed up our sand pit I signed up to local outdoor range which was $250/year. Only range that allows reloads go figure but its nice and people are nice so I dont mind.

skeettx
06-01-2018, 02:33 PM
http://www.texaspanhandlepistolclub.com/
$110 per year :)

bangerjim
06-01-2018, 05:40 PM
Down here in the valley Caswell's charge $15/hr.

Not bad in the 110F heat and when the northern part of the state of AZ is pretty much shut down due to fire hazards. And yes, guns CAN start fires! If the terrain is dry enough and there are any stray pieces of burning powder out the barrel. It has happened before and NOT from boolits striking a rock! You definitely do not want to shoot steel targets with steel-tip FMJ's up north right now!

Rain will come! My buddy and I are waiting for it so we can go to Heber area and shoot all day long for FREE!

JCherry
06-01-2018, 06:20 PM
Bangerjim,

Let me know when you make it up to Heber and I'll go with you.

Have Fun,

JCherry

Gray Fox
06-01-2018, 06:22 PM
Bangerjim: Boy, does your thread bring back memories of wandering the area between Heber, Clay Springs, Pinedale and Snowflake chasing jack rabbits and 'yotes in the early '60s. Went to ASU for a couple of years, ran out of $ and did 25 years in the Army. Been retired for almost as long. Down here in the Hotlanta area we've had rain every day for the last couple of weeks and can't go to an outdoor DNR range. I don't care to leave my .45 AR brass at an indoor range, either. All I have to do to make it rain is to even think about setting up a bottom pour pot and a mold out on the rear deck. I hope the monsoons do materialize for you this summer. GF

1911sw45
06-01-2018, 07:14 PM
18 per hr. Only 25 yard range. They will let u keep ur brass as long as it’s behind the red line and u tell them up front you want to keep it.

dragon813gt
06-01-2018, 07:22 PM
It varies from $20 - $50 an hour. You have to buy a yearly membership if you want to even have a chance at getting a spot. There’s no hourly charge in this case. But it costs $500 for the privilege to shoot your own ammo. There’s a reason I don’t shoot at indoor ranges around here. It’s called ridiculous pricing. I won’t elaborate to much but I can tell you all of them have very substandard HVAC equipment. They aren’t performing enough air exchanges per hour. I’m glad I’m able to shoot outside year round. It may be hot or cold but you get a lot more for your membership fees.

bangerjim
06-01-2018, 07:43 PM
Bangerjim,

Let me know when you make it up to Heber and I'll go with you.

Have Fun,

JCherry

Eacellent! Let’s keep in touch by PM! I love meeting fellow casters/CB fellows.

Our PHX valley boolit group has gone to the range in Payson a couple times. Not a bad range. Fees very reasonable. And the gethering for food/drink afterwards is AMAZING!

Looking for late July for rain?!?!?!?!? Hope springs internal!

Banger

bangerjim
06-01-2018, 07:47 PM
Bangerjim: Boy, does your thread bring back memories of wandering the area between Heber, Clay Springs, Pinedale and Snowflake chasing jack rabbits and 'yotes in the early '60s. Went to ASU for a couple of years, ran out of $ and did 25 years in the Army. Been retired for almost as long. Down here in the Hotlanta area we've had rain every day for the last couple of weeks and can't go to an outdoor DNR range. I don't care to leave my .45 AR brass at an indoor range, either. All I have to do to make it rain is to even think about setting up a bottom pour pot and a mold out on the rear deck. I hope the monsoons do materialize for you this summer. GF

As you know from your past........rain in the rim area happens regularly in the summer. I am hoping it holds this year! Been here for 30+ years and rain in pretty much a given in July/August up north. The “monsoon” we get here in the valley every year is touch & go the past couple years. As Al Bore says......”global warming”!

Bangerjim

GhostHawk
06-01-2018, 09:53 PM
20$ a session or 200$ and no other fee's for the year. Just ammo and targets.

We have a underground rifle range with 6 lanes, 3 paper, 3 electronic.
Pistol range with 25 lanes, air rifles, classrooms.

There is a free range 20 miles away but it is unsupervised. It can be a little wild west out there. Don't much care for it anymore.

If I needed to as a member I could volunteer time as RSO or desk and if I did 40 hours in a year next years membership would be free. I'm not that tight on money anymore. I feel it is very reasonable. If I went every week it would be 4$ a week.

Pistol range is not air conditioned but the lounge is. If I get warm set the gun down and walk away.

I have accidentally left Magazines behind. Got a call within half hour. Bill were you shooting a hipoint at lane ?? this afternoon? Why yes I was, why? Left a mag behind. Just ask at the desk your next trip. It will be waiting for you.

I have zero concerns there. You walk away, no one touches your guns, no one looks at your stuff.

DerekP Houston
06-01-2018, 09:58 PM
15-20 per hour is the average I have seen here in Texas between Houston and Ft Worth.

ShooterAZ
06-01-2018, 10:20 PM
OP here, I'm going to go tomorrow and check these guys out. They told me I can keep all my brass, and pick up any other unclaimed brass outside the lanes. It's a brand new, supposedly state of the art facility, just opened on Memorial Day. And no, I don't do Facebook but apparently they think it's good for their business model. If I like it, I may buy a membership. I'd rather shoot outdoors (for free) but can't right now:violin:

https://www.facebook.com/TimberlineFirearmsandTraining/

bstone5
06-01-2018, 10:42 PM
Member of the Tomball Gun Club. Have been a member for over 30 years. The annual fee is $150.00, the membership is kept full and a person wanting to join may take a couple of years.
Both of my sons are also members of the club. My wife, my wife's sister and I go regularly so the girls can shoot their revolvers. My grandson and I go in the summer while he is out of school.
Lots of fun, still shoot a lot at the age of 72.
Make and powder coat all of the pistol ammo bullets. A

DerekP Houston
06-01-2018, 10:53 PM
OP here, I'm going to go tomorrow and check these guys out. They told me I can keep all my brass, and pick up any other unclaimed brass outside the lanes. It's a brand new, supposedly state of the art facility, just opened on Memorial Day. And no, I don't do Facebook but apparently they think it's good for their business model. If I like it, I may buy a membership. I'd rather shoot outdoors (for free) but can't right now:violin:

https://www.facebook.com/TimberlineFirearmsandTraining/

I dunno about you, but shooting outdoors in Texas stops being fun past 100f to me ;). I'd rather pay a tad more since I "save" all my money reloading.

Bazoo
06-01-2018, 11:54 PM
Anybody in my area need a place... please PM and yall can come out to the farm and we'll do some plinkin... Range fee will be an ice cold coke.

ghh3rd
06-02-2018, 02:10 AM
Bazoo I’ll remember that offer! 🤗.

The indoors range that I frequent is 20 minutes away and costs $11 to shoot as long as you wish and has electronic target retrieval. Tuesday’s half price cause I’m a ‘senior’. I did just get a 3 month family membership there for $50, and I’ve been stopping by on the way home from work to empty a few magazines .

The outdoor covered range about 25 miles away costs $20 for non members to shoot as long as you want... or a $70 initial membership fee and $130 per year.. and has 5 to 100 yard ranges. The third range that I use is outdoors covered... $14 for non members unlimited time, or $300 to join and $70 per year... up to 200 yard ranges, about 50 minute drive and is actually in the woods where I hunt.

I guess that I should feel fortunate.

Thin Man
06-02-2018, 05:26 AM
Our local range is indoor only, 8 lanes for any handgun and 4 for rifle but the heavy magnum are taboo due to past damage to the deflector plates. They offer range memberships for either a daily or annual fee. Daily the price is $20, stay on the lane as long as you want to stay, leave your brass or take it with you but do not scrounge brass that was already on the floor. This cost allows 1 shooter on 1 lane. A second shooter on that one lane is allowed for an additional $5, stay as long as you wish. There is a maximum of 2 shooters on a single lane. Can't remember the cost of the annual membership but if you show up one a month you will easily cover the daily cost.

ShooterAZ
06-02-2018, 08:20 AM
I dunno about you, but shooting outdoors in Texas stops being fun past 100f to me ;). I'd rather pay a tad more since I "save" all my money reloading.

Well it sounds like you need to move to Flagstaff, We have never seen a 100* day in recorded history. As I type this at 5:18 am 6/2/18 it's a balmy 37 degrees! Forecast high today is 82*.

Idaho45guy
06-02-2018, 11:05 AM
Well it sounds like you need to move to Flagstaff, We have never seen a 100* day in recorded history. As I type this at 5:18 am 6/2/18 it's a balmy 37 degrees! Forecast high today is 82*.

But it's Arizona! Arizona is hot and inhabitable!

Was just talking to my neighbor yesterday after I got back from an ATV trip into the Idaho mountains and I was lamenting how I missed Arizona. Told him how the roads weren't gated off and there were so many cool things to explore like old mines, ghost towns, homestead sites, etc.

He said he couldn't take the heat. I told him where I lived, it was similar to here only with a milder winter. He couldn't believe it.

I'm always amazed at just how ignorant Americans are of the geography and climates across their country.

ShooterAZ
06-02-2018, 02:54 PM
Well, I went out and shot at the new indoor range. It's a very nice facility, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The only complaint I had was with the overhead lighting. I was having a difficult time picking up my front sight. I told them about it, and they said I wasn't the only one who had mentioned it. Hopefully they will address that particular issue. All in all, it was a good experience.

DxieLandMan
06-02-2018, 03:53 PM
My LGS has a shooting range and it is indoor and costs $10 to shoot. Retired folks can shoot free on Monday, military and first responders can shoot free on Tuesday and ladies can shoot for free on Wednesday. There are other ranges too but they require a membership and costs a lot more. I can go on our land and shoot for free if I feel like it too.

Outer Rondacker
06-02-2018, 08:10 PM
The public range by me is 450 a year plus 15 for a half hour per day use. Max half hour per day. You have to buy your ammo their.

I am a club member at a different place for 75 dollars a year. It has an indoor range I can use 24/7/.

maxreloader
06-02-2018, 09:07 PM
I'm a member of an outdoor "club" that has trap, rifle and pistol ranges. $90 for the year for "family" membership. Every member can bring 2 guests with them to shoot whenever they want. Unsupervised, 1,000 members and it's never crowded. If you do an hour of "work" for the club by cleaning ranges, raking berms, rebuilding target stands etc... they shave a single dollar off your membership fee. I figure I collect 3 to 4 five gallon buckets of brass per year so they pretty much pay me to shoot there. Open year round, heated room in the pistol range for the sissies. 9am to sunset. Yes, I am spoiled.

Bazoo
06-02-2018, 10:10 PM
ghh3rd, You aint planning on coming to the birthplace of lincoln are ya?

MstrEddy
06-02-2018, 10:35 PM
Down in SoFla an indoor range can be a blessing in our wonderful 150% humidity and not to mention all the rain we've had the last month.
One I go to is a gun shop and range. 10 pistol lanes and 6 rifle, all 25 yards with electric retrieval systems They charge $15 per hour, but are not too picky on the time if they aren't busy. For mil/LE it's $9 per hour. They have no problem with me sweeping up brass, and some of the guys will save me some sometimes.

marlin39a
06-03-2018, 02:39 PM
Well, I went out and shot at the new indoor range. It's a very nice facility, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The only complaint I had was with the overhead lighting. I was having a difficult time picking up my front sight. I told them about it, and they said I wasn't the only one who had mentioned it. Hopefully they will address that particular issue. All in all, it was a good experience.

How were the fees? Much activity? Are they gun sellers also? How far from the Amtrak station?

Geezer in NH
06-03-2018, 02:46 PM
40 years ago when I lived in MA, I belonged to two clubs one was #75 per year the other was $100. Both required time on club maintenance or extra fee of $100. Not to bad but both were over 45 minutes to get to at the best traffic times.

Being a PSO I got to shoot at some indoor ranges for free. In Boston one was owned by a friends father who was a retired cop. I never paid to shoot there and was considered a charter member.

I was also compensated for MIT's range that was state of the art in the 80's!!

Due to circumstances I had to move away to protect my family. I chose rural NH. Indoor shooting begins late November when the snow plow pile is big enough. It is around 10 yards. benefits is all lead is recovered in May.

The sad part is for law enforcement many ranges were available for free and they were mostly empty except for the normal shooter type guys, yep even Law guys some are us.

Now retired and unknown, indoor shooting is only when cold enough and when snow pile big. Although some times old retired LEO's friends do show up and the pile gets assaulted!!!!!!!

Love lead donations I do.

ShooterAZ
06-03-2018, 02:51 PM
The fee was 18/hour, I thought it was not too unreasonable. And yes they are gun sellers, I didn't browse that part much though. The Timberline range is on the east side of town past Horsemen's Lodge. I'll definitely go back again

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Timberline+Firearms+and+Training/@35.3125508,-111.5411651,15.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xf9fc313c970ccf64!8m2!3d35.31 30895!4d-111.5427341

http://www.timberlinefirearms.us/

marlin39a
06-03-2018, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the information. I just can't bring myself to pay to shoot. I'll stop by the next time I'm up that way to take a look.

Biggin
06-03-2018, 09:41 PM
The only indoor range I frequent is 25 miles away $20 to shoot all day unless they are busy then they limit you to an hour at a time. No reloads and you don't get to keep your brass. I don't go there often for those reasons. I'm not really fond of indoor ranges anyway or paying to shoot, but if the weather is really nasty it beats nothing.

Bazoo
06-03-2018, 11:07 PM
I've never been to an indoor range. The closest thing I ever been to a public range was when I took the CCDW class they had a range set up on one of the instructors farms. I've always been blessed to have the family farm to shoot. I'd HATE not to have that, so I let all my friends come shoot whenever they like. And i'll extend that to anyone here that needs a place and is respectful and decent.

John D
06-04-2018, 12:13 AM
The indoor range I belong to is about a 15 minute drive. Ten lanes (50 feet) with target trollies. Cost is $75 yearly plus a $100 (first year) initiation fee. Any handgun up to 50 cal. lead boolits only and .22 RF. No rifle or shotgun. From Oct. thru Mar. they shoot Bullseye, Falling Plates and sporter Rifle. You do not have to be a member to shoot these events. The only downfall is they don't allow guests (except for the above events when the RSO's are on duty). You can pick up the brass if no one claims it and even get a bucket or two of range scrape now and then. Been a member going on 23 years.

justashooter
06-04-2018, 02:05 PM
south central PA, not far above baltimore, the baltimorons come north into Free America to pay 35 per year plus 15 per hour for an indoor place. i shoot off the front porch for free. when i want an indoor range, i just open the back window and shoot from the dining room...

gwpercle
06-05-2018, 06:39 PM
Indoor range here is $15.00 all day , senior citizens get a discount $12.00 all day and when I went on my birthday .... they charger me $0.00 , I got to shoot for free ! What a place !
Gary

RU shooter
06-06-2018, 06:32 AM
I'm shocked and awed at some of the prices some of you guys pay yearly for gun club memberships yikes! Around here most small to medium size towns have gun clubs or least each county in the more unpopulated ones average yearly dues are 30-50 bucks that's outdoor rifle pistol, shotgun stuff , archery ect. There's only one indoor handgun place near me open to walk ins and there 10 an hour , have handgun rental if you wanna try something out can shoot your own and get to keep your brass . I just hate shooting indoors due to the extra concussion and noise factor.

NyFirefighter357
06-06-2018, 06:53 AM
This is the list of fee's. I've never shot at an indoor range. These fee's may make you sick! http://bluelinetactical.com/pricing/

ThomR
06-06-2018, 02:45 PM
The only indoor range in my area charges $20 per hour, or $45 per month. There is an outdoor range that charges $200 per year. Unfortunately there isn't really any public land around, and I don't own any land. That being said, there usually isn't anyone at the outdoor range when I go there.