PDA

View Full Version : Roland Southgate Rifles

azoldbiker
09-14-2008, 05:10 PM
I am looking for any and all information on two of Roland Southgate's long rifles. My wife has her lat father's collection. Included are two very fine pieces from Mr. Southgate. One is a cap and ball (sorry don't know the correct terminology) serial #4 The other is a flintlock serial #346. I believe he bought both directly from Mr. Southgate. Both are in excelent condition for their age. The cap and ball was used for hunting and shows a little wear on the bluing. The flintlock looks like it was never shot... She also has a black powder pistol and a derringer...

Thanks,

Joe

TCLouis
09-14-2008, 09:59 PM
that actually used to help Southgate. He should be a wealth of info.

floodgate
09-14-2008, 11:53 PM
The name, I believe, was ROYLAN Southgate. He was one of the "Old Timers" who survived into the Post-WWII muzzleloading renaissance. I corresponded with him in the '50's, but - regrettably - never acquired one of his fine rifles or rifle/pistol sets. But he did make me - and I still cherish - a .40 cal. RB mould to fit another piece.

That serial #4 rifle would be a real treasure!

Fg

Buckshot
09-15-2008, 03:30 AM
..............Years ao the American Rifleman had a nice article about Mr Southgate and his rifles.

..............Buckshot

northmn
09-15-2008, 12:02 PM
For possible pictures and help, I would suggest you go to the American Longrifles site. There you will find a lot of people that collect and are very knowledgeable on collecting.

Northmn

azoldbiker
09-15-2008, 03:56 PM
TCLewis, Thank You

azoldbiker
09-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Northmn, Am. Long Rifles referred me here... Thanks...

TCLouis
09-16-2008, 05:56 PM
See his comments

Those are two early rifles by Royland Southgate (you see why he used his initial). Obviously #4 is very early. He numbered rifles from 1 to 1008. I recently saw a photo of an early Southgate which was not numbered. It was signed in script but had not number.

I would be grateful if you could send me photos of the two rifles and give some details of construction; lock plate, wood, barrel length, etc.

R. Southgate rifled his own barrels throughout production and cast his own lockplates, trigger guards, and butt plates on some early production.

JC Kelly
03-30-2011, 08:25 PM
I'm putting together a list of Southgate rifles, serial # vs year of mfg. Yes, I know there is one in Dixie but there are a couple of discrepancies. Would appreciate any help you could send my way.
The Rifleman article on Royland Southgate is in the July 1952 issue. I scanned it in, if you'd like, I can email you a pdf.
1952 I'd like to have had one but couldn't even pronounce "$125" at that time. Should have a small caliber caplock coming soon by UPS! Just took 59 years.