PDA

View Full Version : New utility trailer!

Idaho45guy
05-31-2018, 07:57 PM
I traded in my pickup for an older 2005 GMC Yukon to pay off some bills and the aftermarket warranty I had on the pickup had some credit I was owed. Got the check for $1700 last week and needed a utility trailer for hauling my ATV, building materials, pontoon boat, yard waste, etc. so I started shopping around.

I originally was just going to get a little 5' x 10' utility trailer but since I'm selling my Jeep, I was considering getting one of those new UTVs, or side by sides. I starting looking at measurements and the ones I liked are a bit wider at 66". A 60" wide trailer wasn't going to do.

Drove around five different trailer dealers looking at configurations and prices. I wanted to spend under $1500. Not going to happen for a quality trailer with sides.

I finally found a 2018 Summit 6' x 10' with a 3500lb axle, fully boxed frame, 2900lb capacity, LED lights, 15" tires, and built in ATV ramps for $1725. It was originally $1850 and came with silver painted wheels. I got the dealer to install black wheels to match my Yukon's. Just got it home!

Should be perfect for hauling toys into the woods and getting landscape materials. It tows beautifully and is very well built. I couldn't believe some of the shoddy paint jobs and welds I saw on the other trailers.

dverna
05-31-2018, 09:56 PM
I think 10 ft is going to be a bit short for most UTV’s.

osteodoc08
06-01-2018, 01:36 AM
Please do not tie down your atv to the top rails. Install correct anchor points into the floor if not there already.

Ten feet is gonna be a bit short for many UTV’s.

metricmonkeywrench
06-01-2018, 08:03 AM
Great find, I'm jealous of the high walls. Did something similar and sold off a dual axle 7x16 box trailer for a single axle open trailer that is "contractor" grade with the HD suspension. It was nice to get a 2 yard load of topsoil for the yard and not to have to shovel it out of the truck right away. Here in Virginia dual axle trailers require both brakes and a yearly inspection and as a bonus Dads moving company has officially been closed.

Idaho45guy
06-01-2018, 12:12 PM
I think 10 ft is going to be a bit short for most UTV’s.

The one I want is 61.4" wide and 9.8' long; it's the Cub Cadet Challenger 750.

snowwolfe
06-01-2018, 01:33 PM
Just a suggestion, but I would check the load capacity of the tires then subtract the weight of the trailer and spare. This will give you a more realistic idea of the carrying capacity.
Carrying capacity always comes down to the weakest wink.

Silvercreek Farmer
06-02-2018, 07:19 PM
Glad it worked out. I bought one ten years ago and use it all the time. Practically built our farm from scratch with it.

jonp
06-02-2018, 07:33 PM
Anchor points in the floor are the only way to go. I bought a flat trailer and built my own sides from pressure treated. Worked pretty good.
Nice trailer

white eagle
06-03-2018, 09:37 AM
that should serve you very well
looks like its really well built
went through the same as you about trailers but decided to keep what I have
nice score on your part