PDA

View Full Version : Belly band vs IWB holster

Repass
05-31-2018, 08:22 AM
What are the pros and cons of a standard IWB holster (https://www.shootingaz.com/iwb-holster/) and belly band? I'm thinking a BB for the first time. Any ideas would be appreciated.

35remington
05-31-2018, 10:26 AM
The band is sweat inducing in warmer weather and many examples are more floppy than is desirable and gun retention is poor should you be involved in a more vigorous activity or get in an entangled situation. Further, having the gun above the waistband and outside the pants makes it a lot more “printy.”

A lot of belly band wearers, quite frankly, would be better off losing the spare tire around their middle that makes them consider the belly band in the first place. Overall it is a second rate solution.

The only “pro” I am aware of is if your jeans fit you like a sausage casing because they are too small for your girth the belly band may be more comfortable in cooler weather, but in that case a belt holster with a covering garment atop it is a vastly better answer to the problem anyway.

Said by a guy who has had friends consider it briefly, then discontinue its use due to one or more of the reasons above.

Kraschenbirn
05-31-2018, 12:59 PM
Admittedly, I've got a bit of 'spare tire' but nothing like lots of folks I see at the range. Two reasons the belly band didn't work for me: 1) as stated by the previous poster, band (and gun) tend to shift around during any kind of physical activity and 2) the band I tried placed the gun way too high for any kind of smooth access. Couple years back, got an Alien Gear IWB and have never looked back.

Bill

Combat Diver
06-02-2018, 01:05 AM
Depends totally on your clothing. Both have their uses. IWB for when wearing a belt/trousers. Belly band for sweat pants/running shorts. I wear an old Banichi belly band with my 442 when running. Beats my old fanny pack (M9/M1911) which bounces around (run in foreign countries with two and four legged critters). Fanny packs still have their uses too like on the beach/diving.

CD

Dan Cash
06-02-2018, 07:46 AM
A belly band holster will "squirt" your piece when it is most inconvenient. I carry a gun so I don't have to run but the few times my wife forced me into sweat pants, my Milt Sparks IWB on a belt around my waist worked fine. I put the belt and holster on then the sweat pants. Running shorts, for me, conjures an image to horrible to contemplate.