PDA

View Full Version : I don't plink...

montana_charlie
09-14-2008, 02:47 PM
I used to shoot 'just for fun' about half of the time when I had a firearm out to use. For the last twenty (or so) years, it seems that when I pick up a gun, it is for something serious. Range sessions to verify my hunting rifle is still capable of a humane kill is not plinking, in my book, it is just as serious as that moment when you are squeezing on yonder buck or bull. That isn't to say I don't enjoy shooting, it just means I never go out to just whale away at some casual target.

I bought my Sharps in December of 2005, and have not shot it as much as I would like to. Seems that 'time' is always in short supply...or it isn't the right gun for the job when some shooting chore comes up.

Back when I got the Sharps, I was given a big disc off a heavy plow. It has been sitting in my shop...just daring me to have some fun...but I keep working at 'load developement'. That requires thought, concentration, and serious note-taking if it is to succeed.

Well, I cut down some alfalfa a while back, waited for it to cure, and it got rained on at exactly the time when it was ready to bale. And, the rain kept up for a week, with light showers every day. After that, it took the better part of another week to get dry enough to finish up.

During that two weeks of 'just waiting', I kept fiddling around out in the shop...with nothing really constructive that needed doing...and that disc was nagging at me.
So, I scrounged through my 'might come in handy scrap' and built a frame to hang it in. I set it out on my 'home range' where I have (up to) 440 yards measured off...but where I have never used more than the 100 yard mark.

One of my neighbors (the guy who gave me the disc) has shown some interest (mainly just curiosity) in my Sharps. He expressed a desire to 'try it', but my (occasional) crowing about my 'latest best group' seemed to put him off from seeking a chance to 'look bad'.
While cogitating, then actually working, on the frame construction, I would chat with him now and again (about hay, and stuff), and I invited him over for some casual plinking.
He agreed to come if I picked a day when neither of us was 'busy'.
I had never shot gongs before. He had never shot a large caliber, single-shot rifle, loaded with black powder and 'monster' bullets.

I have a bunch of 45/90 (200 rounds) that was given to me by a guy who had to sell his rifle. Since the ammo is loaded, he had me drive to Missoula to pick it up, because he was afraid to try to mail it. The deal is I am to expend all of the powder and shot, then mail him the 100 R-P cases...and keep the 100 Bell cases (which I have been searching for a supply of).
With so much to shoot up...and not being my 'load developement ammo'...it seemed perfect for some plinking.

Well, yesterday was the day. BOY! Did we have fun!

I started us out at 100 yards to make sure we could hit the two-foot 'gong' with this unknown ammo. First shot was three inches left, and centered. In only a few tries, the newby...getting his first look through 'peep sights'...was 'dinging' with regualrity. We even tried offhand a few times, without him having much trouble.

When I suggested moving back to 200, he said Ok, but he could only stay a short while longer. Seems his wife had plans for the evening. Two shots to get the sight set, and we were both hitting on every try. He was having so much fun, he missed his deadline for getting home.
Just before he left, I gave it a try offhand...and connected.
He went away suitably impressed.

After he left I fired about ten more from the bench, and decided to try 300. When I got the bench set up I discovered that a slight rise in the 'flat field' was hiding the dinger from view at 300 yards. So, I set the bench up in the bed of my pickup. That worked.

After a few sighting shots, regular dings were easy to get. I shot until I was getting bored (again) but it was about time to head in for dinner.
While packing stuff away, another neighbor came driving by. I was close to the road, and he slowed down to chat, so I invited him to have a try.
He said 'hell, yes' and almost jumped the fence.

As another guy with no 'peep sight' experience, I ran him through a quick explanation of sight picture, and how to use a set trigger. His first shot missed, and so did his second.
I offered to 'do one' just to give him confidence in the rifle being able to hit the target. When I mounted the gun I discovered that the sun was so low behind us the insert in the front globe was 'washed out' and almost invisible.
I did manage to hit the steel, giving him the required confidence, but I knew what his problem was. So, I stood behind him, making my shadow fall on the globe sight. That 'blackened' the insert so he could get a good sight picture...and his shot connected.

You could see his reaction coming...
He watched the gong swing till it stopped...then he held the rifle in his lap and looked it over while he stroked the wood and fiddled with the tang sight. He stood up, set the gun on the rest, and said that was a good place to stop (as in) 'quit while you're winning'.
Then he looked me in the eye and said, "Charlie...I GOTTA GIT ME ONE OF THOSE!!

We probably talked for thirty minutes with me telling him some of the many things there are to consider about getting into BPCR shooting. I told him to browse around on the Shiloh site to get an idea of the many possible configurations for a Sharps rifle...and start to decide which one suits him.

We talked so long I was late for dinner, and in trouble (again) with SWMBO.

But I think I have become a missionary...and have my first convert.
CM

Catshooter
09-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Sometimes it's the small things in life we treasure most. Good on you.

Cat

coyotebait
09-14-2008, 03:18 PM
MC
Its good to hear you took the time to enjoy a little plinking and get some neighbors involved in too. It is a hoot to hear the steel ring at long range with a big ol slow boolit. I have invited nonshooters that show an intrest in my hobby to give it a try with my equipment and they have had for the most part positive experiences.
coyotebait
ps: hope your hay didnt get too black waiting to dry out.

Scrounger
09-14-2008, 03:49 PM
You caught two new 'fish' today. Way to go!

JeffinNZ
09-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Another addict. Charlie, how do you sleep at night getting innocent folk hooked like that? :-D

Freightman
09-14-2008, 07:26 PM
I will quit shooting when it gets to be serious! that is a hard statement but from the time I was 20 until I got hurt I worked serious to make a living. Never had time to shoot, fish or hunt just work aint going to do that no more period so when shooting gets to be work I will be through.
Those that shoot you guns might learn that there is more to life than "work" and have some fun. Wish I had learned the lesson when my boys were younger and had a few less things and had more fun.
Now I am old crippled and hurt every day, if I had learned to temper work with a little fun I would not be beat up broke down and hurt as much
Have fun quit taking life so seriously before you know it your boys will be gone and your grandkids will be grown and you will be old.

montana_charlie
09-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Another addict. Charlie, how do you sleep at night getting innocent folk hooked like that? :-DHe doesn't know the half of it, yet.

Once I get him armed with a BPCR, I'll hook him on black powder...and hook him on casting bullets...and hook him on making homemade lube.

I'm hoping, by next fall, to have him casting under the harvest moon while wearing a thong...and looking for newts to pick the eyes out of.
CM

SharpsShooter
09-14-2008, 08:44 PM
....and that gents is how to properly bring a new shooter along and plant the seeds that will require them to add another room on just to contain the "needed" struff. Those plow discs are a blast!

SS

jjamna
09-14-2008, 10:27 PM
If a neighbor would of had me shoot a Sharps long ago I would have been hooked long ago. For me I got a Marln cowboy and after reading some of you guy's post. Loaded some up with Blackpowder. To make a long story short I then got me a H&R Buffalo Classic in 45-70 and 38-55 and just love shooting them old disc. Mine is at 200yds. One of these days I will get me a Sharps. I have wanted one for a long time. I haven't loaded these cartridges with smokeless in over a year now
I do thank you guy's for all the info you give. I havn't had so much fun shooting a gun since I was a kid. Love those BP Cartridges

Bigjohn
09-14-2008, 11:18 PM
Hook, line & sinker! :Fire:

Who knows, you may be able to start your own 'Gong' shoot, with a beer and BarbieQ afterwards.

Good work, Charlie.

John

montana_charlie
09-14-2008, 11:31 PM
Who knows, you may be able to start your own 'Gong' shoot,
Might get somewhat crowded with forty-leven barley farmers shooting at one gong...
CM

Bigjohn
09-15-2008, 12:18 AM
Just think of the lead you would be able to mine from around it.

John.

Buckshot
09-15-2008, 03:13 AM
...............Shooting at paper is an essential part of shooting and we all know why. But shooting at paper for a new shooter, and ESPECIALLY someone who has never shot a gun before, is a dead end. There is definately something extra special about shooting at a target that DOES something or makes a noise.

When we lived out in the sticks I had made up some steel targets using RR iron tie plates with short re-bar legs welded on the bottom. They'd clang and fall over. I bought a dueling tree for 22rf and it was great fun. My daughter liked to shoot, but it wasn't something she'd just up and suggest doing untill after having experienced that. She and the neighbor kid would burn through a brick of 22 ammo in no time flat.

I suppose a part of it is the specialness of doing something here, and then having something happen over there. Or the anticipation of it.

................Buckshot

09-15-2008, 07:44 AM
Couldn't agree more with Buckshot. I teach muzzleloaders at a boys & girls summer camp. By far most of the kids have never shot a gun or even seen one really. I go over the basics, they shoot paper a couple of times and then come the reactive targets. Big water jugs at 25 yards, large cans to tip over, 55 gal drum lids, and whatever else I find to use. The group goes from near boredom (hard to believe) to engaged and excited once the targets change.

montana_charlie
09-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Just think of the lead you would be able to mine from around it.
You know...that brings up another subject.

We were shooting into the concave side of the disc, and it was hanging about eight inches above the ground.
I thought I would find dead and decaying bullet parts lying around that gong.

After forty rounds, there was an 'eroded' goove in the dirt (in front of the gong) which had a curve that mirrored the shape of the plow disc.
But the only lead I found in there was a particle about half the size of a corn kernal and a thin disc...thinner than a dime and about the diameter of a nickel.
All the rest of that three pounds of lead was 'spirited away'.

Perhaps it now lies in a small pile on the surface of the harvest moon...ya think?
CM

Don McDowell
09-15-2008, 02:32 PM
Even at 800 and 1000 yds the only substantial pieces of lead you can find are misses. Unless the bullets were keyholing and struck sideways, then they'll be flattened on one side pretty severely.

montana_charlie
09-16-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks for chiming in, Don.

I asked somebody on another forum (can't remember who or where) some questions about soft lead hitting steel targets. I was trying to get an idea of how far away a gong needed to be to have a good chance of recovering most of the lead.

He replied that most of his bullet parts were scattered to the sides and below...and a little bit in front of...the target he shoots at. But, I can't remember how far away it was. My impression is that he said it was around 500 yards.

I'll keep my eye open for a short piece of culvert with a diameter large enough to hang my disc inside. Maybe that will act as a 'lead collector'.

CM

Bigjohn
09-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Yes, I know all about the little disc's of lead. The club I shoot at is IPSC based and when the weather is as bad as it can get down here (Gale force winds, horizontal rain etc) they set up all steel plated courses.

The range floor is littered with these things. The down side of it is that a lot of the boolit is vapourised. What a waste.

John

Don McDowell
09-16-2008, 11:33 PM
CM if you can find a big ol dead cotton wood that someone is slicing up for firewood try and get a chunk about 3ft thick from near the base of the tree. Those buggers will hold an awful lot of lead.
You can try the culvert deal, but I suspect most of the dust from the bullet will be pretty touchy to gather up.
One of the neat things about spotting at one of the long range gong matches , when the sun gets right and you can watch the bullet into the target and the , splat, a big silver splash and a new mark on the target.

montana_charlie
09-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Hmm...
From the way you describe it, the lead may resemble a liquid more than a fragmenting solid.
As a matter of fact, it might even get hot enough on impact to be a liquid during the 'splat phase'...no?
CM

Don McDowell
09-17-2008, 02:42 PM
I don't know if it turns liquid or not, but the splash sure looks that way. I think it's mostly a fine dust that's probably almost liquid.
You should be able to see the lead wash on your disc blade after a few hits. It'll give the thing silver highlights. If you spray paint the target black the splash will really show.

crabo
09-18-2008, 12:47 AM
I love shooting steel because it is instant gratification. I made a bunch of knockdown targets that I can easily move around. The crossbar has 2 90 degree pins that fit into a sleeve that is welded to the top of the T bar. The targets simply hook over the bar. You can set up an entire range in a few minutes and it all stores flat for transport.

Paint one side white and one side black for varying light conditions.

Southern Son
09-18-2008, 05:52 AM
Charlie, I saw somewhere on the internet an idea from a bloke. He had a round steel plate and around the outside of, sitting slightly in front of he put a tractor tyre. Some one had told him that most of the splash back did not run parallel to the face of the target, it would deflect off at somewhere between 10 and 20 degrees. So he swung the steel plate and put the tractor tyre just in front of the plate on a frame. He planned to put a hole in the bottom of the tyre and a bucket under the hole to catch the lead that fell freely out of the tyre. If the lead stuck in the tyre, he was going to scrub it loose with a wire brush, letting it fall out the hole down the bottom. Unfortunately, I lost the website and thread and don't know how it turned out (or if he even did it).

montana_charlie
09-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Charlie, I saw somewhere on the internet an idea from a bloke. He had a round steel plate and...
Could it have been this... http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=16122 ...?

That bloke still hasn't figured out how to hang the tire...or if it will catch any lead.
CM

Southern Son
09-19-2008, 07:04 AM
Montana, it could well be, although I seem to remember the poster intending to swing the plate on one frame, and then put the tyre infront of the plate on a second frame.

I take it that you never got around to executing your plan? If you did, how did it go?

I am starting to worry about this lead stuff, I can't remember half of what I see or get told, and what I do remember, I can't remember when or where I saw it or why I was told. Although I do remember that my memory was bad back before I started casting lead, but I can't remember if that is important.

georgewxxx
09-19-2008, 01:34 PM
SS

I think that's called dis remembering.

As for as using reactive targets, getting kids suckered into shooting a .22 at stationary clay birds mounted on a stump or railroad tie is a real way to get 'em hooked. A case of them store bought or even broken ones picked up at the trap range is what we do. The only problem is being a referee deciding who gets to shoot next. .....Geo

montana_charlie
09-19-2008, 02:59 PM
I take it that you never got around to executing your plan? If you did, how did it go?
No, "Son", we all have memory problems.
I keep forgetting that I want to try it. And, when I do remember...I can't remember where I stored the tire.

When I happen to run across the tire (while doing something else), I don't have time to think about it long enough to remember why I still have the damn thing.

My haying will be finished for the year after I pick up and stack the final 500-odd bales.
Perhaps then I can steal some time for foolishness...
CM