PDA

View Full Version : leading

funk
09-14-2008, 12:48 PM
with a clean barrel has anyone tried prelubing the barrel with a patch full of bullet lube before firing to reduce leading?

Sprue
09-14-2008, 01:19 PM
No, but ever since I went to sizing boolits with a lubersizer and felix lube, leading no longer exists. I can shoot all day long without leading.

Previous to the lubersizer method I thought that leading was a given if using cast. Not so.

I mainly shoot 38's 44's and 45's..... I enjoy shooting 10 fold now.

Slug your bore / throats and use a good lube while keeping your velocity down...... problem solved.

However, you didn't mention what you were shooting but the above should apply

Good Luck & Welcome to CB.

funk
09-14-2008, 02:07 PM
im shooting cast performance 335gr gc out of a S&W 460 with 39gr of lilgun

August
09-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Yes, Funk, I do prelube my black powder rifles for just the reason you mention. It really helps to reduce the fouling problem and eliminates leading entirely. But, then, I'm using bullets that carry a LOT of lube in addition to the pre-conditioning.

Lloyd Smale
09-14-2008, 03:02 PM
never saw that it was nessisary. But then im one that rarely cleans a barrel.

S.R.Custom
09-14-2008, 03:34 PM
with a clean barrel has anyone tried prelubing the barrel with a patch full of bullet lube before firing to reduce leading?

Yep. I use a 50/50 mix of mineral spirits and Liquid Alox on a patch after I clean a barrel. It's quite effective at delaying the onset of leading, particularly if the barrel isn't 'seasoned' yet, or if you do something silly like shoot jacketed bullets through it.

44man
09-14-2008, 04:01 PM
I shoot thousands of rounds starting with a clean bore. I rarely clean my guns for months. The proper lube will not let lead gather and it shoots out with each shot anyway.

44man
09-14-2008, 04:06 PM
I have to ask how you "season" a barrel? Do you fry bacon in it?

TEXASFIVEGUN
09-18-2008, 11:44 PM
A proper setup will never need the barrel cleaned. A revolver with a smooth bore with no tight spots, all the same size or smaller at the muzzle. Smooth, centered forcing cone with the proper angles and correct sized cylinder throats. A well desined bullet (bearing serface, lube grooves,base and shape) sized for the gun, out of appropriate aloy and lubed with a good lube. Load with the proper powder at a appropiate veolcity and you can shoot thousands of cast bullets without cleaning the barrel and with great accuracy.

Three44s
09-19-2008, 12:46 AM
Pre-lubing a bore?

I use Corrosion X

Three 44s