PDA

View Full Version : For those who have tumbled to long...

Kevinakaq
05-28-2018, 08:10 AM
I purchased one of these a few weeks ago and have found it extremely useful/reassuring and thought I would share for the fellow forgetful. I have tumbled brass for longer than I care to admit multiple times, once (very recently) I left the heater on my Lubrasizer on and discovered a mass of carnuba red encompassing the sizing die, and I’m always worried about leaving the lead pot running.

This device is easy to use and gives me a little bit more insurance to make sure that I don’t get in the way and do something unfortunate. Costs 11.99 on Amazon and is a Century Smart Digital Countdown. They also have many other makes/models. This particular one was cheap enough for me and fit the bill. Just plug in your device and press the duration length. Works great.

Maybe I should just invest in some Ginko Biloba...

Anyway hope this helps,
Kev

lightman
05-28-2018, 09:32 AM
I got the optional timer when I ordered my Big Dawg tumbler. I'm happy that I did, its nice to just push the button for the time desired and go do something else. I think mine is a Woods brand.

earlmck
05-28-2018, 10:10 AM
Oh yeah! I better get three of those! Pot, lube heater, and tumbler -- I've left those on waaay to long several times.

JBinMN
05-28-2018, 10:52 AM
I have a few of the old analog ones that I use on occasion for other things. It could be used on the tumbler as well as other items as you mentioned.

https://cdn-tp2.mozu.com/17007-26268/cms/26268/files/0c4f1bec-a6b1-4ec5-a079-ffaf6936137e

It is a good idea & you are not the only one who has left the tumbler run a bit longer than intended.
;)

Kevinakaq
05-28-2018, 10:55 AM
I have a few of the old analog ones that I use on occasion for other things. It could be used on the tumbler as well as other items as you mentioned.

https://cdn-tp2.mozu.com/17007-26268/cms/26268/files/0c4f1bec-a6b1-4ec5-a079-ffaf6936137e

It is a good idea & you are not the only one who has left the tumbler run a bit longer than intended.
;)

Thank you for your comments. I have a couple of those just like yours but I was afraid I’ll leave them on for longer than a day and they’ll repeat the cycle. I wanted one to count down once and then stay off permanently until I reinitiated. Still think the ginkgo biloba is a better idea… Ha!

Kenstone
05-28-2018, 11:48 AM
Thank you for your comments. I have a couple of those just like yours but I was afraid I’ll leave them on for longer than a day and they’ll repeat the cycle. I wanted one to count down once and then stay off permanently until I reinitiated. Still think the ginkgo biloba is a better idea… Ha!

um...just remove all the "on" dogs and turn it on with the little roller switch.
It'll shut off when it gets to an "off" dog, and stay off, without turning back on in -24 hours.
:mrgreen:

Hickory
05-28-2018, 12:12 PM
I went to Amazon and searched Century Smart Digital Counter and came up with everything but what was pictured in the OP.

Web search, I found it!

Kevinakaq
05-28-2018, 01:14 PM
I went to Amazon and searched Century Smart Digital Counter and came up with everything but what was pictured in the OP.

Wed search, I found it!

Oops, Century Smart Digital Countdown Timer, sorry about that.

Grmps
05-28-2018, 01:32 PM
Make sure whatever timer is heavy enough (will handle the amperage) your device requires.

I use a timer function on my cell phone to remind me when brass cleaning is done.

https://www.amazon.com/Century-Digital-Countdown-Repeat-Function/dp/B01D3QEK4E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1527528597&sr=8-3&keywords=Century+Smart+Digital+Countdown+Timer

Rated 125V, 60 Hz, 15A/1875W Resistive or General Purpose, 10A/1250W Tungsten and Electronic Ballast, ½ HP, TV-5.

Kevinakaq
05-28-2018, 02:34 PM
Make sure whatever timer is heavy enough (will handle the amperage) your device requires.

I use a timer function on my cell phone to remind me when brass cleaning is done.

https://www.amazon.com/Century-Digital-Countdown-Repeat-Function/dp/B01D3QEK4E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1527528597&sr=8-3&keywords=Century+Smart+Digital+Countdown+Timer

Rated 125V, 60 Hz, 15A/1875W Resistive or General Purpose, 10A/1250W Tungsten and Electronic Ballast, ½ HP, TV-5.

Thanks Grmps, looks like it is rated for my ProMelt which is 15 amp resistive I do believe. I have used it with it already and it worked well.

Gunslinger1911
06-01-2018, 07:27 PM
But doesn't the brass come out REALLY shiny !!!!! Been there, done that, getting those timers

respiegel
06-01-2018, 09:51 PM
I had to order the wife a Belkin timer for her curling iron she always forgets on. Cheap piece of mind, set and forget

GhostHawk
06-01-2018, 09:59 PM
My 2 arrived today. Many thanks OP, looks like good product.

I have always worried a bit about starting a fire by leaving the pot on. No more.
No more bending over to plug it in and unplug it either. Push of a button will do.

Lloyd Smale
06-02-2018, 06:54 AM
looks handy enough that I just ordered one. thanks.
I purchased one of these a few weeks ago and have found it extremely useful/reassuring and thought I would share for the fellow forgetful. I have tumbled brass for longer than I care to admit multiple times, once (very recently) I left the heater on my Lubrasizer on and discovered a mass of carnuba red encompassing the sizing die, and I’m always worried about leaving the lead pot running.

This device is easy to use and gives me a little bit more insurance to make sure that I don’t get in the way and do something unfortunate. Costs 11.99 on Amazon and is a Century Smart Digital Countdown. They also have many other makes/models. This particular one was cheap enough for me and fit the bill. Just plug in your device and press the duration length. Works great.

Maybe I should just invest in some Ginko Biloba...

Anyway hope this helps,
Kev

EddieZoom
06-02-2018, 07:03 AM
Pretty cool. I like how "idiot proof" it makes the timing process....lost track of how much time spent futzing with those rotary/tiny button timers ;-)

Lloyd Smale
06-07-2018, 07:47 AM
got it last night. Worked great. set it for 3 hours and walked away. Came back it is was off. I don't know how many times ive forgot to turn them off and they ran all night.

GhostHawk
06-07-2018, 08:16 AM
Plugged in my lead pot yesterday. Set it for an hour. Was casting in 10 minutes. After about a 40 min session pushed the on/off button. Little green light went out and I walked away. Awesome little device. Thank you OP.

Kevinakaq
06-07-2018, 08:38 AM
Happy to hear people have found it useful. Definitely gives some peace of mind and having one less thing to worry about 'aint' half bad.

KenH
06-07-2018, 09:20 AM
Got one ordered - thanks for the thread.

Loudy13
06-07-2018, 10:03 AM
Got one in my wishlist, Thanks

fast ronnie
06-07-2018, 11:12 AM
I need one of those to turn off my loading bench lights at night. Especially when I'm sitting there.

M-Tecs
06-07-2018, 11:42 PM
Oops, Century Smart Digital Countdown Timer, sorry about that.

Thanks going to order a couple.

Jackpine
06-11-2018, 02:49 PM
I think the digital, countdown is cool, but being cheap, I will keep the old $3 timer which is like JB listed in post #3, which I have probably used for 15 or 20 years. I solved the problem of it turning the tumbler back on by removing all the little plastic start and stop clips except one stop, which is set at 12:00. If I want two hours, I simply turn it to 10:00 and walk away. I figured I would probably loose the other clips, so I taped them to the outside of timer and they are still there all these years later, tho I doubt I will ever use it for anything else.

Again, I think the one posted is way cool, but if you have an old on laying around, it will do the job just fine.

Jackpine

Tikka
06-17-2018, 06:18 PM
I need one of those. I've left mine on for a few days before. Don't use it much since I switched to ss tumbling.

Loudy13
06-18-2018, 09:30 PM
Mine showed up on Saturday, cant wait to use it!!

Creepin
06-27-2018, 11:00 PM
This is a good idea, Thanks

David2011
06-28-2018, 05:47 PM
Wish those had been available when I got timers. I ordered a couple of the timers like you see on tennis courts and in locker rooms. Mine will go up to 8 hours, just twist to the desired time and forget it. I put them in metal electrical boxes with duplex outlets on them. There's one on the polisher and another for the lead furnace.

mjwcaster
07-14-2018, 01:17 AM
Still think the ginkgo biloba is a better idea… Ha!

I bought a bottle of ginkgo biloba many years ago.
A friend asked if it was working.
I told her I have no idea, I keep forgetting to take it.
The timer looks good.
I have had really shinny brass before.
Tumbler in a detached garage, been forgotten for days at a time before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom W.
07-15-2018, 11:22 PM
I like shiny brass. But there are times when I went back to the shed to make sure everything was unplugged. Then one night I looked out the window and saw that the lights were on. I could have sworn I had turned them off. Chemicals will do that to you......

Kenstone
07-16-2018, 10:32 AM
I think the digital, countdown is cool, but being cheap, I will keep the old $3 timer which is like JB listed in post #3, which I have probably used for 15 or 20 years. I solved the problem of it turning the tumbler back on by removing all the little plastic start and stop clips except one stop, which is set at 12:00. If I want two hours, I simply turn it to 10:00 and walk away. I figured I would probably loose the other clips, so I taped them to the outside of timer and they are still there all these years later, tho I doubt I will ever use it for anything else.

Again, I think the one posted is way cool, but if you have an old on laying around, it will do the job just fine.

Jackpine

Echo...
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?361663-For-those-who-have-tumbled-to-long&p=4378657&viewfull=1#post4378657
great minds, well, you know
:bigsmyl2:

JeepHammer
07-21-2018, 05:57 PM
Leave the vibrator on FOR A WEEK because you thought you would shine up a few while the wife got ready for vacation (takes as long as the vacation),
Come back a WEEK later (9 days actually), the motor is smoked and the brass is REALLY shiny, your brand new media is dust...

My cleaning is done in a cement mixer, hard to forget that's running! ;)

robg
07-22-2018, 03:33 PM
My wife tells me to switch that racket off so I don't need a timer��