PDA

View Full Version : 45-75 Reforming Brass from 50-110? Close to buying a Chapparel 1876

jonp
05-27-2018, 06:18 PM
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Chapparel 1876 45-75. The brass is obviously the problem. I read on a different post about forming it from 50-110. Is this possible and has someone done it? Buying a rifle that I can't reform brass for has little interest to me. Thanks

Hootmix
05-27-2018, 07:34 PM
Hey,, jonp ,, I think you can use 348 winchester brass to resize to 45-75,,, keep us posted ,,,my chappie is a 40/60 ,,, I use 45/70 gov. resized ,

coffee's ready ,,, Hootmix.

jonp
05-27-2018, 08:09 PM
I've read here and other places about the 348 brass but it seems pretty hard to come by. I'm interested in something I can shoot, not something I stare at on the wall!

indian joe
05-28-2018, 02:44 AM
I've read here and other places about the 348 brass but it seems pretty hard to come by. I'm interested in something I can shoot, not something I stare at on the wall!

Jon
Everywhere I have looked of late 348 brass is "out of stock" - midway currently has 50-110 around a dollar a case - was I going that way I would order a set of Lee dies and get a second full length size die and have the neck size portion of that that honed out to .482 - my fired cases measure .4835 outside and the normal LEE FL die squeezes it down way too much (I dont rezsize at all - not even neck size this calibre) ----- when reducing neck size its easy to go too quick or try to do too much in one step and if a case neck crinkles its almost impossible to get it right afterwards. For me the look of that milk bottle shape 45/75 case was part of the attraction - a 45/60 just would not have been the same (some of us are strange) - I actually bought my brass before I ordered the rifle to make sure I got it (turned out a smart move which is unusual for me!)

ps - If there is one gun in my rack that I might wear out - its possibly that 76 !!!!

veeman
05-28-2018, 09:01 AM
If your going to buy a Chapparel, be advised that the vast majority of them are junk right out of the box. You will likely spend a small fortune getting it to work right before you can enjoy it. Some got lucky and got a good one, but they are few and far between. You would be better off spending a few hundred bucks more and getting a Uberti. As for brass, there are a few places where you can get made up brass, but they are expencive. Lots of info here. http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,89.0.html This thread had info on brass. http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,60965.0.html

KCSO
05-28-2018, 10:23 AM
I hope you have better luck with Chappy than I did. Other than looks mine was junk!

EDG
05-28-2018, 10:36 AM
50-110 brass was the parent case for the .348 Win.

Hootmix
05-28-2018, 12:59 PM
veeman ,,is correct,, a lot of the chappies were ( are ) rough,,but if the chamber is good ,,,the rest can be fixed. I have said " IT " before buy original WINCHESTER parts ( used mostly ) they require a small amount of fitting ,, I think the 76 chappie's are just beautiful ,,so if price is good ,,go for it . Veeman gave you the place's to look ,,use'm!! Besides ,,,were here to help you !!!

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix .

salpal48
05-28-2018, 03:58 PM
50/110 is a good choice by starline but 50 Alaskan is better . less trim. . there are so many variation with Rim size. using The 2 cases will not Extract If you have an original Winchester . original 45/75 has a rim size >628-.630. Starline uses a rim size .617

indian joe
05-28-2018, 08:57 PM
veeman ,,is correct,, a lot of the chappies were ( are ) rough,,but if the chamber is good ,,,the rest can be fixed. I have said " IT " before buy original WINCHESTER parts ( used mostly ) they require a small amount of fitting ,, I think the 76 chappie's are just beautiful ,,so if price is good ,,go for it . Veeman gave you the place's to look ,,use'm!! Besides ,,,were here to help you !!!

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix .

I used to see adverts for chap 76's in your mags for under 1K - my Uberti ran me $2350 AUD --It would have took a couple of guns with REALLY rough innards to cure me of the attraction of that low price for a chapparral 76 .............the Uberti worked straight out of the box - luckily I had done a lot of manual labour so I had enough strength in my right pointer finger to get the trigger pulled on a loaded round (NOT kidding here the trigger pull was bloody atrocious - twelve pound I reckon) - I got that sorted - its a big, Elegant Rifle - accurate - easy to shoot ...............................................

us

bob208
05-31-2018, 09:47 AM
better choice would be get one in .45-60. just as power full as the the .45-75 unless you are loading black powder. the .45-60 advantages are it works better with smokeless brass is very easy to get just shorten .45-70. I would get the uberti .