PDA

View Full Version : Gander is back.

Texas by God
05-25-2018, 05:38 PM
I walked in and was pleasantly surprised at the real world pricing. Hopefully they have learned their lesson and want to stay competitive.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180525/a4e0c4596663c5e46677b3ef802dc173.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Rcmaveric
05-25-2018, 06:54 PM
Hmmm, i always did enjoy window shopping there. Great looking store with a great diverse selection of everything and was one of only a couple stores within an hours drive that carried reloading stuff. Prices were horrid though so never bought anything them unless it was a sale going on for something i been keeping an eye out for. Its hard to find a good sporting goods places. Academy sports and Midway usually get my business. Green Achres is another place i can get lost in, but their prices are outrageous. Wife makes me give her my credit card and then she makes keep one hand in my pocket and then she holds my other hand. Luckily my gun range has a members only reloading section that has a reasonably powder selection at 22 a lb and primers at 32 a case.

Thought they were moving for more of an online sales scheme?

sparkyv
05-25-2018, 07:27 PM
Where is that one located Texas by God? There's one supposed to be opening up in the Spring area, but no word on the other Houston former locations.

MyFlatline
05-25-2018, 07:39 PM
They have a long way to go to earn my business back

bikerbeans
05-25-2018, 08:00 PM
Their store on the northside of Dayton, OH is shuttered.

BB

Outer Rondacker
05-25-2018, 08:20 PM
They came into Utica, Syracuse NY and put all the small shops out of business. Then closed the doors. Very little in the lines of gun shops left in the wake.

Boolit_Head
05-25-2018, 09:04 PM
Where is that one located Texas by God? There's one supposed to be opening up in the Spring area, but no word on the other Houston former locations.

There was one on Westhimer not to far from Dairy Ashford if I remember the cross street right. When I drive by it on the way to work I can't see the front so I am not sure if they are reopen or not.

lefty o
05-25-2018, 10:20 PM
i will never set foot in there!

sparkyv
05-25-2018, 10:33 PM
There was one on Westhimer not to far from Dairy Ashford if I remember the cross street right. When I drive by it on the way to work I can't see the front so I am not sure if they are reopen or not.

Yeah, that's the one I used to go and "window shop" in. The one in Spring had a great indoor pistol range. Got my SR22 from that one...just had to have it.

Boolit_Head
05-25-2018, 10:35 PM
Yeah, that's the one I used to go and "window shop" in. The one in Spring had a great indoor pistol range. Got my SR22 from that one...just had to have it.

Yeah I went in once right after they opened and when they said they would not get any relading stuff in I left and have not gone back.

ghh3rd
05-25-2018, 10:38 PM
They opened up one here in Tampa that lasted for a year or two before closing up. The prices were high, but I lined up a few times outside of their door for 22s when they weren’t available, except for there. I scored a few times... my boss also enjoys shooting and understood why I came in late once in a while.

ghh3rd
05-25-2018, 10:40 PM
ps Sparky , I like my SR22.

Boolit_Head
05-25-2018, 10:40 PM
Did you slide him a box of 22's when you came in late?

Rick R
05-25-2018, 10:51 PM
“They” are not the same them they was before. ;-)

The old company burnt, capsized, sunk, filed bankruptcy and sold e v e r y t h i n g including the door bumpers in the restrooms. The new guys just bought the name, intellectual property, and location, location, location. Then their CEO said something about Trump supporters didn’t need to shop there. Then I was perusing their website and it doesn’t show any of those “Assault Rifles” or “High Capacity Magazines”. Not a necessity but a 2nd Amendment canary in the coal mine.
I’ll be visiting their new store in Shiloh PA this weekend. They get one chance...

dragon813gt
05-26-2018, 08:08 AM
It’s not the same company. The old one went completely under. The CEO of the new company has a penchant for bringing back companies. He liquidates everything that the old one had, rebrands and slowly opens up new stores. He’s done really well at it. I haven’t heard about him mentioning Trump supporters. So now I need to search that one out. My point is that it’s not the old store. It’s under different ownership.

375supermag
05-26-2018, 08:12 AM
Hi...
Gander Outdoors opened here in York, Pa couple of weeks ago.
Prices on firearms seemed more reasonable than the horribly overpriced firearms at the former Gander Mountain.
Not much in the way of reloading supplies and no used guns on hand.
I didn't check the prices on ammunition or the price and quality of the clothing they sell.
Employees seemed to be friendly and willing to assist customers.
I will check back in a few weeks or months and see if used guns and reloading supplies are going to be part of their business model.

Don Purcell
05-26-2018, 08:44 AM
Don't know why a businessman would open a chain of outdoor sporting and hunting goods stores and then tell certain potential customers they are not welcome and expect to be successful.

Texas by God
05-26-2018, 08:50 AM
This one is in Lake Worth, Texas. I didn't notice if they sold AR15 style guns, but they had parts to assemble one. A sample price is a 50 rd box of Aguila .22LR standard velocity for $2.50.
I was on a spying mission- didn't buy anything.

sparkyv
05-26-2018, 08:50 AM
Then their CEO said something about Trump supporters didn’t need to shop there. Then I was perusing their website and it doesn’t show any of those “Assault Rifles” or “High Capacity Magazines”. Not a necessity but a 2nd Amendment canary in the coal mine.
I’ll be visiting their new store in Shiloh PA this weekend. They get one chance...

Looks like there's something to this, Rick R. Online shows no ARs or AKs. In fact, I didn't find any centerfire semi-auto rifles on their website during a cursory search. But I also noticed their selection was very limited. I did find one type of 30 round magazines for ARs and AKs each. They are really pimping their "good sam" memberships...so we can get a "discount". Gotta say, NOT a fan of that.

DerekP Houston
05-26-2018, 09:20 AM
This one is in Lake Worth, Texas. I didn't notice if they sold AR15 style guns, but they had parts to assemble one. A sample price is a 50 rd box of Aguila .22LR standard velocity for $2.50.
I was on a spying mission- didn't buy anything.

That's fairly close to where I'm working now and staying, I'll probably swing by since its so hot next week. Would rather be fishin' or shootin'!

Texas by God
05-26-2018, 01:06 PM
Nothing like a week of 105 degree days to close out May! I hope this week isn't a harbinger!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Rick R
05-26-2018, 07:40 PM
I researched this again and apparently Camping World CEO Marcus Lemonis comment was made after the curfuffle over the ANTIFA/KKK rodeo in Charlottesville VA. At the time there was a lot of static going on over the ‘16 election and everything was POTUS Trump’s fault. I can’t find where Lemonis has continued to push any agenda, I’m willing to let it slide. Let’s just be aware and see if he goes astray.

My wife and I went to the Gander Outdoor in York / Shiloh PA today. Different store with a different feel than the old Gander Mountain. Not as much clothing or camping stuff. They still had fishing gear, some camping, canoes, kayaks, added a nice bicycle department. The archery and knife/axe/saw selection looked more intelligent than the old Gander.
The gun department is at least twice as large and they had a lot of semi auto rifles. I saw AR type guns from DPMS, S&W, Savage, Daniel Defense. I saw a TAVOR bullpup, SIG MPX, stacks of Magpul magazines in several capacities, along with AR parts and stripped lower receivers.
I think they “get it” for what modern rifle shooters want.
For those more interested in walnut and blued steel here were shotguns and boltguns from entry level to nice. Marlin and Henry leverguns. Semiauto handguns and revolvers. They had a cabinet with powders and primers but I didn’t see any dies, scales, bullets etc. Perhaps they are still waiting for delivery on reloading? Stacks of ammunition, holsters, gun cases and cleaning supplies.
Prices looked reasonable. It ended up costing me $150 to get my wife out of there. :D

woodbutcher
05-26-2018, 11:48 PM
:wink: I`ll give em two chances.The first and last.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Beagle333
05-27-2018, 01:04 AM
Ours has reopened here under the new name. The old Gander Mountain sold everything in there including the floor tiles and bathroom fixtures, so I don't have any idea what it looks like now. They did boast a 5000 gun library before the closure and I know that they did NOT liquidate the gun section during the big closing sale. Their "sale" prices were still higher than online stores and we have to pay local sales tax on top of that.
I haven't stopped at the new store. It was my understanding that they were going to be outdoor stuff, but not guns, but I haven't seen for myself, so I'll have to stop by and give a report. (The store is in Opelika, AL )

jonp
05-27-2018, 06:07 AM
I can’t find where Lemonis has continued to push any agenda, I’m willing to let it slide. Let’s just be aware and see if he goes astray.

I'm not willing to let it slide. He made it quite clear he wanted nothing to do with President Trump supporters and that we were not wanted in his stores. So be it.

Lemonis after Charlottesville and President Trumps comments attempting to defuse the situation which were taken entirely out of context and the MSM ran with it as usual to destroy the President:

"Lemonis, who is also the CEO of Camping World, said, “There’s no doubt that there is probably not many consumers in this country today that are in favor of what has been said in the last couple days and if they are, quite frankly, don’t shop at my business.”

"Speaking on CNBC’s Power Lunch, Lemonis was “horrified” by what he is seeing and hearing from the Trump administration."

"For those who believe the economy is being driven by Trump, Lemonis said the notion is “somewhat laughable” noting that “there’s good fundamentals that are happening with these companies.”

Good luck with the same leftest yuppies Dicks is going after because I have no use for you. If we continue to let stuff like this slide and make excuses for those that do it we will wake up one day and find our country gone