PDA

View Full Version : "Wolf-like" creature shot in Montana.

Idaho45guy
05-25-2018, 12:22 PM
https://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/news/2018/05/24/wolf-dog-dogman-some-mysterious-creature-montanans-look-answers/634379002/

Was it a wolf, some type of hybrid, or a creature that hasn't been seen in Montana since the Ice Age?

On May 16 a lone wolf-like animal was shot and killed on a ranch outside Denton. With long grayish fur, a large head and an extended snout, the animal shared many of the same characteristics as a wolf; but its ears were too large, it's legs and body too short, its fur uncharacteristic of that common to a wolf.

So far, the exact species is a mystery

So what was it? At this point, no one is 100 percent sure.

More: Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks' official response

"We have no idea what this was until we get a DNA report back," said Bruce Auchly, information manager for Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks. "It was near a rancher's place, it was shot, and our game wardens went to investigate. The whole animal was sent to our lab in Bozeman. That's the last I ever heard of it."

Social media from around the Lewistown area was buzzing last week; with many people chiming in on what they believed the creature to be.

"Maybe a dire wolf," wrote another, "because I don't believe they are all gone."

Speculation roamed as far as identifying that animal as a crypto-canid species said to roam the forests of North America.

"That could very well be what’s being called Dogman," one poster suggested. "They’re spotted each day and the government quells any and all reports. Several people report being strong armed into keeping quiet about their reports by men wearing black suits. These are just facts. Look into if if you don’t believe it."

375supermag
05-25-2018, 04:20 PM
I suspect a wolf/coyote or wolf/dog or coyote/dog hybrid.

birch
05-25-2018, 04:33 PM
I live about 7 miles from where the "Legend of the Dogman" song was inspired--Luther, Michigan. I remember being a little peeler (7 or 8 years old) when the old timers would tell the tale around campfires everywhere. It used to spook the hell out of me.

Gewehr-Guy
05-25-2018, 04:40 PM
I don't expect to see much demand for that poor quality fur if they become a trappable subspiecie :D

Driver man
05-25-2018, 04:47 PM
Looks like it has a scent gland spot on its tail which pretty much makes it a wolf.

nagantguy
05-25-2018, 05:51 PM
I live about 7 miles from where the "Legend of the Dogman" song was inspired--Luther, Michigan. I remember being a little peeler (7 or 8 years old) when the old timers would tell the tale around campfires everywhere. It used to spook the hell out of me.

I grew up on those tales as well and in 2011 had my own encounter with “dog man”.in Kalkaska MI Don’t care what anyone else chooses to believe I know what I saw and what happened! Anyhow my father who was a Upper Peninsula lumber jack when I was born, the old Finnish wood cutters still
Talked about the “dire wolf” or “dog man” around Gaylord MI and even for double wages and with armed guards they would not go into the woods to cut ,they were replaced by a crew
Of Polish Jacks and after one day they refused to go into the woods as well even for triple
Wages .

Ballistics in Scotland
05-25-2018, 06:48 PM
Wolfdogs aren't uncommon, and although they can be as civilised as any other dog, are liable to be dumped in the wild by an owner who doesn't know how to deal with them, and hasn't complied with legal requirements. Wolves around the world vary a lot in size, conformation and colouring, and even human families can have an unusual line in ears.

I used to see Arabian wolves from time to time, and they were scrawny little beasts with ears on the big side, possibly evolved for the same reason as the fennec fox's, which are like Dumbo's in order to act as a cooling radiator. They have to live on small rodents and insects sometimes, not pull down moose. They would stand 300 yards off and watch me wake up in the morning, and I never felt at all unsafe in the way I did with panhandling baboons.

The article seems to have collected various opinions in a feat of amateur authorship. Wolves can be very exclusive about their group, but I don't think it is anywhere near as much a matter of territory as it is with domestic dogs. Dogs and wolves are nowhere near unique in being able to produce dependably fertile "hybrids". That is the most authoritative definition of a species, making them different races of the same species, and no more different (please excuse me if I give you mental pictures you do not want to have) than a blonde Swede and a blowpipe-wielding Andaman Island pygmy. Mules are almost invariably infertile (not quite always), and human-Neanderthal hybrids possibly part-way between those extremes.

Those certainly look like canid feet. Pursuit predators almost invariably have toes long relative to the pads, and ambush or stalking predators, like cats, the reverse. Nothing definite was said about size, but any complex hybrid might conceivably uncover genes like those of lion-tiger hybrids. The tigon (male tiger and female lion) isn't bigger than either species. But the opposite, the liger, lacks a growth-limiting gene found in the lioness. and can reach around double their weight, with obese zoo specimens considerably larger still.

Idaho45guy
05-25-2018, 07:00 PM
I grew up on those tales as well and in 2011 had my own encounter with “dog man”.in Kalkaska MI Don’t care what anyone else chooses to believe I know what I saw and what happened! Anyhow my father who was a Upper Peninsula lumber jack when I was born, the old Finnish wood cutters still
Talked about the “dire wolf” or “dog man” around Gaylord MI and even for double wages and with armed guards they would not go into the woods to cut ,they were replaced by a crew
Of Polish Jacks and after one day they refused to go into the woods as well even for triple
Wages .

I love those types of stories!

There was a single girl in my Bible study last year that is Finnish and from the UP. Beautiful woman and has 8 siblings. Won't give me the time of day, though.

bikerbeans
05-25-2018, 08:03 PM
Guys,

I know what it is, my ex-wife.:kidding:

BB

MaryB
05-25-2018, 09:27 PM
MN DNR claims coydogs don't exist... but there are several packs of them near me. Destructive, they kill for the hunt not to eat. Local ranchers and hog farmers let people hunt their land if they are after them.

popper
05-26-2018, 09:40 AM
Does anybody besides the paid pros care? Like the meals I got in Germany - 'animal that runs in the woods' - I ate it and didn't grow a tail. Or GMO grain - From what the Mexicans tell us, corn was 'naturally' modified to be what we now eat - but was known in Israel? What is the difference between 'natural' selection and GMO? Other than the patent and price?

trapper9260
05-26-2018, 10:00 AM
MN DNR claims coydogs don't exist... but there are several packs of them near me. Destructive, they kill for the hunt not to eat. Local ranchers and hog farmers let people hunt their land if they are after them.

There is coydogs here in Iowa and had got 2 puppies from the wild as pets and one live to be just short of 12 years old and the last one of 16 years old that i had to put to sleep the is past Nov. They where my kids. I got one now that is form a lady from Canada he is now 4 years old.They are there.

Idaho45guy
05-26-2018, 12:23 PM
Looked up photos of Dire wolves based on skeletal remains and it does look quite similar...

Would be amazing if a few had survived somehow undetected in the wild. However, I'm leaning more towards a wolf/large breed dog mix.

MT Gianni
05-26-2018, 08:37 PM
In general the GF Tribune is well respected and accurate in its reporting.

MaryB
05-26-2018, 09:33 PM
There is coydogs here in Iowa and had got 2 puppies from the wild as pets and one live to be just short of 12 years old and the last one of 16 years old that i had to put to sleep the is past Nov. They where my kids. I got one now that is form a lady from Canada he is now 4 years old.They are there.

I had a coydog pup. He was to protective and had a bad tendency to bite people on the rear no matter what I did to try and break him. I see him weekly on a friends farm, he is still my dog but they take care of him out where he isn't going to bite a kid walking in the street.

Greg S
05-26-2018, 10:20 PM
What they have there is a true werewolf.:kidding:

smokeywolf
05-26-2018, 11:00 PM
There absolutely are coydogs. Mom and Dad had a male collie when they lived in the woods in Angeles National Forest, back in the early '50s. Their collie would sometimes take off into the mountains for 2 or 3 days at a time, but would always come back. One of Dad's friends who worked at the saw mill, commented that he had seen a coyote ***** with collie/coyote pups. There was no mistake about what he saw.

Most people know less about wolves than they think they know. First of all, there hasn't been any such critter as a "wolf hybrid" since 1992 when the domestic dog (Canis lupus familiaris) was reclassified as a subspecies of the wolf (Canis lupus). Technically, the term has been obsolete since then. Wolf and dog cross, is just plain a "wolfdog".

With regard to the critter in the article; from what I can see from the pics, he's at least part wolf. Pretty substantial difference in length of K9s between dogs and wolves.
Most reliable and obvious difference between wolves and domestic dogs is the slope of what might be called the forehead. Dogs nearly always have a noticeable upward angle from the top of the muzzle to the top of the head. Wolves on the other hand, have a taller muzzle to accommodate larger teeth, resulting in the top line of the muzzle continuing in an almost straight line to the top of the head.
Ears are too tall for a pure wolf. Also, the chest doesn't look to be as deep as what I've typically seen on wolves.

The "Dire Wolf" (Canis dirus) was the predecessor to the wolves we know today as, the "Grey Wolf" (Canis lupus) There are some folks out there who have been trying to breed several different domestic dog breeds together to create a wolf looking dog. One of these people is calling their effort "The Dire Wolf Project". I think what they started with was an "American Alsatian". It would be silly however, to assume some Canis lupus has not been snuck in somewhere along the way.

If you're in the company of a dog that has been purported to be wolf or have wolf in him or her. Watch how they trot. When wolves trot (their favorite gate when traveling) their rear paws plant almost perfectly in the the prints that their front paws just made. This is called, "single-tracking".

lightman
05-26-2018, 11:15 PM
It will be interesting to see what the DNA test prove. I hope they publish it.

gnostic
05-26-2018, 11:17 PM
It sort of looks like Hillary Clinton without her makeup...

smokeywolf
05-27-2018, 12:42 AM
It sort of looks like Hillary Clinton without her makeup...

Terrible thing to say about that poor wolfdog.

Traffer
05-27-2018, 01:32 AM
Back in the early 70's hippie days. I knew a guy who owned a female wolf. He bred her with dogs and sold the pups. The DNR in Wisconsin took the wolf away because he didn't have it kept in a proper concrete floored kennel. A couple weeks after they confiscated it, it died in their care. It was his pet.

john.k
05-27-2018, 03:05 AM
Any kind of wild dogs bred with domestic dogs,especially very large dogs are a nightmare for farmers......They have all the cunning and savagery of wild dogs,but no fear of human scent....They dont restrict themselves to sheep,but tear cattle to pieces, hunting in small groups....They are too smart to form large packs,and restrict to small family groups..........They are extremely difficult to shoot,and rarely frequent the same spot .

GhostHawk
05-27-2018, 07:41 AM
The only dog I ever saw who regularly caught fox squirrels all on their own was a cross.

Part wolf, part coyote, part dog. She was scary smart. She would lay out on the front lawn and watch the silage pile. When the squirrel got far enough from his tree she would be off, a low gray streak. And she did not run at the squirrel, she ran for the tree. She'd take it right off the trunk some 3-5 feet up as she flew by.

And for the next 3 hours she'd lay out there chewing, head first with the squirrel tail bobbing up and down with every chew.

She saved my hide one day when a rather nasty bull had me tree'd on a gate post. And he was fixin to take that post down and stomp me.

She heard my yell, came a running, took one look, sized up the situation. Faced the bull head on, when he charged she grabbed him by the nose. I saw him spin her 3 times around no part of her touching ground. Then she had her feet on the ground and was leading him away. When she was ready she released, slipped through his legs, nipped at a heel, and ran him out to the pasture a quarter mile away and back 3 times. Yipping and nipping and teaching him a lesson.

2 weeks later that bull almost killed the boss. Broke 3 ribs. And then me and the wolf were both there getting him clear. We ate that bull, dang good hamburger.

Loved that wolf. She was a good one.

JSnover
05-27-2018, 09:12 AM
Terrible thing to say about that poor wolfdog.

Shot for mistaken identity?

Traffer
05-27-2018, 02:53 PM
The only dog I ever saw who regularly caught fox squirrels all on their own was a cross.

Part wolf, part coyote, part dog. She was scary smart. She would lay out on the front lawn and watch the silage pile. When the squirrel got far enough from his tree she would be off, a low gray streak. And she did not run at the squirrel, she ran for the tree. She'd take it right off the trunk some 3-5 feet up as she flew by.

And for the next 3 hours she'd lay out there chewing, head first with the squirrel tail bobbing up and down with every chew.

She saved my hide one day when a rather nasty bull had me tree'd on a gate post. And he was fixin to take that post down and stomp me.

She heard my yell, came a running, took one look, sized up the situation. Faced the bull head on, when he charged she grabbed him by the nose. I saw him spin her 3 times around no part of her touching ground. Then she had her feet on the ground and was leading him away. When she was ready she released, slipped through his legs, nipped at a heel, and ran him out to the pasture a quarter mile away and back 3 times. Yipping and nipping and teaching him a lesson.

2 weeks later that bull almost killed the boss. Broke 3 ribs. And then me and the wolf were both there getting him clear. We ate that bull, dang good hamburger.

Loved that wolf. She was a good one.

Thanks for sharing that great story.

Walks
05-27-2018, 03:35 PM
I read once that at the start of the colonization of the America's that the Indians had their own unique species of dog but not a wolf-dog hybrid. It's been extinct for over a 100yrs. Maybe a few survived on their own and live in the deep woods and/or mountains of the North.

What ever it is it can't be a dire wolf. Those things stood over 4ft tall at the shoulders and had less flexible leg joints than modern dogs or wolves. Dissected, that would show up immediately.

smokeywolf
05-27-2018, 05:38 PM
Shot for mistaken identity?

Possibly, I don't know enough of the details to make a any kind of educated guess, and I won't make an uneducated one.

We've had 3 wolfdogs over the last 20+ years. You really must know what you're doing with them or you'll paint yourself into a corner. They're considerably smarter than the average domesticated dog in that they seem to be able to understand "cause and effect". GhostHawk's story is a pretty good illustration of that.

Wolfdogs also seem more capable of reading your moods and intentions than their fully domesticated cousins.

Anyone thinking about getting a wolfdog, consider this; they're not good watch dogs. Throw them a steak and they'll show you where the TVs or valuables are.
Unless they perceive that you are in trouble, as you are the alpha in the pack, they see it as your job to protect them, not the other way around.

If you think you want a wolfdog, study first, study second, then look for low content and ideally mixed with Malamute or maybe American Alsatian. I've seen quite a few wolf/German Shepherd crosses that resulted in odd looks and inconsistent temperament.

jonp
05-27-2018, 06:34 PM
Hybred. Uncommon as a wolf pack is more likely to kill a stray dog than let it into a pack but not unheard of. A coyote-dog hybred has never been confirmed through DNA that I'm aware of but it's been a few years since I was doing the lab testing.

Eddie17
05-27-2018, 07:21 PM
Like write up an info smokeywolf.
Thanks for the info.

Southern Son
05-29-2018, 06:16 AM
Don't know how it ended up in the US, but that is a rare sub species of Drop Bear (the Long Legged Drop Bear), native to Australia.

texasnative46
05-29-2018, 06:31 PM
jonp,

FYI, our official TEXAS STATE DOG (the TX Blue Lacey) is a sort of coydog. = The Lacey family won't tell anyone EXACTLY what breeds were used to "create" the Blue Lacey Stock Dog but coyote is ONE of those canines.

Fwiw, we used to own (or were owned by??) a GSD/wolf cross. = Her "call name" was "Donna" & her ALPHA was my late wife.
("VK" called her "my shadow that goes in & out with me". = Lord help the person who bothered her, as "Donna" was very protective & was always within touching distance of her left hand. ===> "Donna" often went on her photo shoots & if you looked carefully at the Black Velvet whiskey magazine ads (YEP, the lady in the white evening gown was my wife.) in ESQUIRE magazine in the Fall of 1978, you can see the tip of Donna's tail in the photo, peeping out from behind a big vase of roses..)

yours, tex

Hardcast416taylor
05-30-2018, 04:06 PM
Did they finally put Roseann down?Robert

Mr_Sheesh
05-31-2018, 08:29 AM
Out, anyways, but we can hope :)

richhodg66
05-31-2018, 08:30 AM
When they found it, did it have a Chinese menu in its hand, walking through the streets of Soho in the rain? (Warren Zevon fans will get it)

Bulldogger
05-31-2018, 08:47 AM
When they found it, did it have a Chinese menu in its hand, walking through the streets of Soho in the rain? (Warren Zevon fans will get it)

For to get a big dish of beef chow mein

richhodg66
05-31-2018, 09:04 AM
For to get a big dish of beef chow mein

From a place called Lee Ho Fooks, of course.

Mohawk Daddy
05-31-2018, 09:54 AM
From a place called Lee Ho Fooks, of course.

And his hair was perfect.

nagantguy
05-31-2018, 09:58 AM
Better stay away from him he’ll rip your lungs out Jim!

Three44s
05-31-2018, 10:17 AM
..... Ah hooooo........ !

Three44s

clum553946
05-31-2018, 02:23 PM
Better stay away from him he’ll rip your lungs out Jim!

I’d like to meet his tailor!

Loudenboomer
05-31-2018, 08:05 PM
And his hair was perfect.. Great Line!! I know I got it.:)

richhodg66
05-31-2018, 09:26 PM
This should get it out of everybody's system;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIPvljWfH00

"Draw blood!"

osteodoc08
06-01-2018, 11:00 AM
A pina colada at trader vicks sounds good about now. Ah hoooooo.

DoubleAdobe
06-01-2018, 03:26 PM
Lawyers, guns and money!

hwilliam01
06-01-2018, 11:23 PM

Was he looking for a plate of beef chow mein?

Idaho45guy
06-02-2018, 11:48 AM
I figured out the mystery...

Simple wolf/dog hybrid in which someone took an Irish Wolfhound and bred it with a wolf...

+

=

smokeywolf
06-02-2018, 03:14 PM
Idaho45guy, I think that's a pretty good possibility.

Pic of the black wolf reminds me of our 2nd wolfdog, Smokey; the origin of my screen name.

wulfman92
06-03-2018, 11:41 AM
Being a religious listener of Coast to Coast AM, I concur with the dogman theory, in which, it came out a portal too

Geezer in NH
06-03-2018, 01:54 PM
Good looking Pup!

Idaho45guy
06-03-2018, 03:24 PM
Being a religious listener of Coast to Coast AM, I concur with the dogman theory, in which, it came out a portal too
Ha! I just heard a snippet of a show the other day in which the guest was talking about how some alien named "Zorg" used a portal to "import" around 24k bigfoots to the US in order to rescue them from their dying planet.

Some of the crackpots on there are hilarious!

There is one guest that is actually credible and fascinating. He's the guy that wrote the Missing 411 books which detail odd and widespread disappearances in National parks...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Paulides#Missing_411

Following his work on Bigfoot, Paulides' next project was Missing 411, a series of self-published books,[15][16] and a documentary,[17][18] documenting unsolved cases of people who have gone missing in national parks and elsewhere.

According to Paulides, his work on this subject began when he was doing research in a national park when an off-duty park ranger found him and expressed concern about the questionable nature of some of the missing person cases which occurred in the parks. The ranger knew Paulides' background and requested that he research the issue.[citation needed] Paulides obliged, and asserts that he uncovered multiple lines of evidence suggesting negligence on the part of the park service in failing to locate the missing people.[citation needed] He broadened his investigation to include missing people from across the world, and this led to his belief that he has uncovered a mysterious series of worldwide disappearances defying logical and conventional explanations.[19][20][21][22]

As of 2017, Paulides has written six books on this topic. According to A Sobering Coincidence, he does not yet have a theory on what is causing the disappearances, although he indicates the "field of suspects is narrowing." Paulides advised that his readers go outside of their normal comfort zone to determine who (or what) is the culprit.[23][24]

The interest in the book series prompted the creation of a documentary based on the Missing 411 books; this film was released in 2017.[17][18]

edp2k
06-05-2018, 01:40 AM
The best Coast 2 Coast show was the one where they interviewed the person with 3 heads.
#1 was a white female, #2 was a white male, and #3 was a blk male.
It was hilarious! :)

Ballistics in Scotland
06-05-2018, 08:12 AM
The Irish wolfhound is a synthetic breed, recreated from the Scottish deerhound, Great Dane and various other breeds when it was at the very least nearly extinct. The significance of this is that mental and physical characteristics stay in the breed a lot less reliably than they do with the much longer process of natural selection, a bit like beer keeps its bubbles longer than soda. I've seen a collie-whippet outrun an Irish wolfhound without even having to try manoeuvrability, and Lanty Hanlon the Irish terrier regularly looks for trouble with one not over four times his weight. It's nothing very serious - just "I don't threaten dogs smaller than me, no matter what they do, so shall I explain why you don't either?" The wolfhound looks extremely threatening as he stands six and a half feet high against his garden railings, themselves well above street level, and Lanty can't see the poor misunderstood brute's tail wagging behind the flowerbed.

Hybridisation is notoriously uncertain, even leaving out of it the eventual union of two parents with the same dormant gene. I've mentioned lion-tiger hybrids, in which the lioness carries a growth limitation gene, but the tigress, which doesn't, can produce offspring more than double the weight of either species. Things like that may apply to many other combinations too. Some hybrids may be extremely rare in one direction, common in the other. So it isn't impossible that some long-vanished gene may resurface.

In Russian fur-farms they have found something which for me, defies all explanation. Nothing much can hybridise with the arctic fox, and there is no reason for fur-farmers to allow it. But foxes isolated and used to human company for many generations frequently have non-erect ears. I've seen a lop-eared dog come running from another room when he hears, quite literally, a pin drop. I don't think superior hearing in the wild would make erect ears indispensable in that timespan. We don't know all about how animals change.

wulfman92
06-11-2018, 07:19 PM
Ha! I just heard a snippet of a show the other day in which the guest was talking about how some alien named "Zorg" used a portal to "import" around 24k bigfoots to the US in order to rescue them from their dying planet.

Some of the crackpots on there are hilarious!

There is one guest that is actually credible and fascinating. He's the guy that wrote the Missing 411 books which detail odd and widespread disappearances in National parks...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Paulides#Missing_411

Following his work on Bigfoot, Paulides' next project was Missing 411, a series of self-published books,[15][16] and a documentary,[17][18] documenting unsolved cases of people who have gone missing in national parks and elsewhere.

According to Paulides, his work on this subject began when he was doing research in a national park when an off-duty park ranger found him and expressed concern about the questionable nature of some of the missing person cases which occurred in the parks. The ranger knew Paulides' background and requested that he research the issue.[citation needed] Paulides obliged, and asserts that he uncovered multiple lines of evidence suggesting negligence on the part of the park service in failing to locate the missing people.[citation needed] He broadened his investigation to include missing people from across the world, and this led to his belief that he has uncovered a mysterious series of worldwide disappearances defying logical and conventional explanations.[19][20][21][22]

As of 2017, Paulides has written six books on this topic. According to A Sobering Coincidence, he does not yet have a theory on what is causing the disappearances, although he indicates the "field of suspects is narrowing." Paulides advised that his readers go outside of their normal comfort zone to determine who (or what) is the culprit.[23][24]

The interest in the book series prompted the creation of a documentary based on the Missing 411 books; this film was released in 2017.[17][18]

I listened to him, David Paulides, on the show. Even had to read a 411 book. It was interesting and entertaining. I have no doubts weird things happen in national parks!

wulfman92
06-11-2018, 07:20 PM
The best Coast 2 Coast show was the one where they interviewed the person with 3 heads.
#1 was a white female, #2 was a white male, and #3 was a blk male.
It was hilarious! :)

Any idea when this was? I'm a coast insider and would search the archives for it!

wulfman92
06-11-2018, 07:23 PM
I haven't seen this in the media lately, has it been resolved?

JSnover
06-11-2018, 09:29 PM
I haven't seen this in the media lately, has it been resolved?

I've been watching for it too. It's just shy of a month since the shooting, I wonder how long it will take for DNA samples to be processed.

Santa Lee
06-11-2018, 09:45 PM
what they have there is a true werewolf.:kidding:
" where wolf "

pete501
06-12-2018, 09:59 AM
The last thing I saw on this story is that the remains were sent to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Forensics Laboratory in Ashland Oregon. I have not seen any results from their findings.

gray wolf
06-15-2018, 06:40 PM
Any idea when this was? I'm a coast insider and would search the archives for it!

Just go to you tube and type in George knapp + David paulietes.
Knapp did most of the interviews.

Wise Owl
06-15-2018, 06:44 PM
The last thing I saw on this story is that the remains were sent to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Forensics Laboratory in Ashland Oregon. I have not seen any results from their findings.

Don't hold your breath on any results being released. Not going to happen.

robg
06-16-2018, 02:28 PM
I used to be a werewolf but I'm alright noooow.

JSnover
06-18-2018, 05:48 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/06/18/mysterious-wolf-like-creature-killed-in-montana-idd-through-dna-test.html
“The lab compared the animal’s DNA with thousands of other DNA samples from wolves, coyotes and dogs. The conclusion was clear – this animal is a gray wolf from the northern Rocky Mountains," the statement read.

Montana FWP officials initially weren’t certain what the creature was when a rancher fatally shot it on his property.

The agency said an inspection of the animal at its laboratory “revealed a relatively normal looking, dark brown wolf.”

“The wolf was a non-lactating female, which means she didn’t have a litter of pups,” they explained, noting that “any unique physical features she has might also appear in her siblings or parents and may continue to be passed along by others in her family.”

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service geneticist Mary Curtis says it’s not unusual for there to be physical variations of animals within a species."

Idaho45guy
06-18-2018, 08:13 PM
Yep. Dire wolf...

smokeywolf
06-18-2018, 08:23 PM
Yep. Dire wolf...

Canis Lupus Dirus? You'd have to go looking for that DNA chain in the amber or possibly at the Rancho La Brea Tar Pits. Dire wolf disappeared about 10,000 years ago.

imashooter2
06-18-2018, 08:24 PM
DNA results are back. It’s a gray wolf.

ETA, as pointed out right above. [smilie=1:

Idaho45guy
06-19-2018, 07:32 AM
Canis Lupus Dirus? You'd have to go looking for that DNA chain in the amber or possibly at the Rancho La Brea Tar Pits. Dire wolf disappeared about 10,000 years ago.

I was joking...

After all, it WAS the government in charge of identifying the species...

Ballistics in Scotland
06-19-2018, 07:45 AM
...in an effort to rival internet conspiracy theorists who haven't seen it. I am mindful of Ockham's Razor. The ordinary straight razor, which was quite old-fashioned in the Middle Ages because complicating it couldn't make it work better, if as well. Similarly, for any phenomenon, the simple explanation is more likely to be true than a complicated one.

MrWolf
06-19-2018, 10:06 AM
Government said it was a weather ballon or light refecting off of fog or an ordinary wolf. Take your pick [smilie=1:

Rick Hodges
06-19-2018, 11:59 AM
Well now I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. The outcry over the senseless murder of an endangered and lovable creature....the gray wolf. The protests and mobs demanding the head of the rancher, they will have named the poor deceased creature....the murder of Wanda Wolf....and the ensuing demand for justice.

Thumbcocker
06-20-2018, 01:39 PM
DNA results are back. It’s a gray wolf.

ETA, as pointed out right above. [smilie=1:

Welll that's what the govmit Wants you to believe anyway.

JSnover
06-20-2018, 02:37 PM
Welll that's what the govmit Wants you to believe anyway.

C'mon, you wouldn't believe it if you'd tested the DNA in your own lab :kidding:

shooterg
06-20-2018, 03:48 PM
I thought werewolves reverted to human form when dead....lol

JSnover
06-20-2018, 04:16 PM
I thought werewolves reverted to human form when dead....lol

Indigenous werewolves, yes. This one was a "ZombyWoof," bred in a top-secret laboratory at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen.

Geezer in NH
06-20-2018, 05:39 PM
And if it had been taken in the right season when fur prime I would call it a big coyote!!!