PDA

View Full Version : Any interest in Bullet Casting DVDs?

BrassMagnet
05-25-2018, 08:12 AM
Any interest in Bullet Casting DVDs?
Can any of our newer boolit casters use these?

These are DVD videos on how to cast boolits.

JimB..
05-25-2018, 08:39 AM
I’d love to watch them once and then pass them on, if that’s what you’re suggesting.

BrassMagnet
05-25-2018, 08:48 AM
I’d love to watch them once and then pass them on, if that’s what you’re suggesting.

This was a loaner set for viewing, but that kind of died out. No one has watched them once and then passed them on in a long time.

They can be watched and then passed on or they can be watched and then saved to show new prospective casters.

I will keep the pictured set to show others, but there are more sets!

rvenneman
05-25-2018, 09:59 AM
Any interest in Bullet Casting DVDs?
Can any of our newer boolit casters use these?

These are DVD videos on how to cast boolits.

I would be interested in watching them and then pass them on.

Sent from my iPad from Yuma AZ using Tapatalk

kevin c
05-25-2018, 02:45 PM
I got my Introduction to Boolit Casting 101 from various YouTube channels. I imagine many do the same.

Still, YouTube and the internet can't always be relied on for 100% reliable information so having alternative sources is useful. And you hope that, if someone is going to the trouble to produce a video, that they will want to make sure that what is on it is correct.

skeettx
05-25-2018, 08:40 PM
WOW
What a wonderful offer to assist the new casters
YEEEEE HAWWWW
What price are you asking for these :)
Mike

pjames32
05-25-2018, 09:27 PM
I'd consider buying a set and passing them on. Cost?

BrassMagnet
05-25-2018, 11:45 PM
WOW
What a wonderful offer to assist the new casters
YEEEEE HAWWWW
What price are you asking for these :)
Mike

No cost

nagantguy
05-26-2018, 12:06 AM
Is that about casting projectiles from lead? I hear that’ll blow your gun up, and even if it doesn’t they are terribly in accurate.

In all seriousness what a wonderful resource to keep someone from stumbling around in the darkness by offering repeatable instruction !!!

Walks
05-26-2018, 12:16 AM
I have the old hardcopy magazines from the 1990's & the DVD's.

I've bought 3 sets of the DVD's & given them away. The 1st to My Brother-in-Law. He spent over a $1000. on RCBS Pro-Melt & 1/2 dozen molds, Lube-Sizer etc... Ten years ago & still hasn't poured a single bullet yet.

Pilgrim Sojourner
05-26-2018, 12:25 AM
I am interested in purchasing a set.

Oily
05-26-2018, 03:05 AM
Saw the title and was getting ready to put on my leather apron and steel toed boots and goggles. Then find somebody with a camcorder and start smelting and fluxing, pouring, sorting, sizing, gas checking, coating, weighing etc. etc. Came to my senses and decided my language (profanity) and my sometimes lax following of the safe casting rules might leave me open to legal jeopardy. Still haven't found a way to make money from my passion.

BrassMagnet
05-26-2018, 09:36 PM
There are still more left.

aws1963
05-26-2018, 09:41 PM
I'd be interested. Relatively new caster here.

BrassMagnet
05-27-2018, 04:22 PM
So here is where we stand:

I don't know how many who have posted in this thread so far want a set to watch.
I don't know how many who have posted in this thread so far want a set to watch once and then pass on to another.
I don't know how many who have posted in this thread so far want a set to watch once and then keep to use as a training aid to help others later.
I also don't care if you keep them or pass them on or keep them as a training aid for later training! It doesn't matter as long as you watch them!

I am pretty sure I have a set for every one that has expressed an interest so far.
So far I see five interested members. They are:

1. JimB..
2. Rvenneman
3. PJames32
4. Pilgrim Sojourner
5. aws1963

I am not sure if Kevin C is interested or not.

If you have posted that you are interested, and you are listed above, then PM me your name and mailing address and I will get a set in the mail to you.
If you are interested and are not yet listed above, post that you are interested and then PM your name and mailing address. If there is too much demand for the available supply, then I will pick and choose who gets the sets that are left after the first five receive their sets. There is no cost to receive a set.
I purchased these Casting DVD video sets a few years ago to use as loaners for new casters to watch and then forward on. The Casting DVD video lending library was busy for a while and then it turned into "out of sight, out of mind" and these videos just sat on a shelf. Now they need to go on to new homes and be used again.

Jake McCracken
05-27-2018, 08:50 PM
I'd love to watch them. I'm still learning the do's and dont's, and sadly Youtube is becoming more and more anti american if you know what I mean.

BrassMagnet
05-29-2018, 06:49 AM
6. Jake McCracken

The above link to the Lending Library has a dead link to the new rules because the lending library is forever closed. This thread with the bad link:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?272161-New-Lending-Library-LINK-to-new-Rules

So now you know where these DVD videos came from.

BrassMagnet
05-30-2018, 08:24 AM
Do I need to put the rest of these in Pay it Forward (PIF)?

RIHP
05-30-2018, 10:19 PM
I would like to try a set if there are extras.

BrassMagnet
05-31-2018, 06:37 AM
7. Rihp

PARRR
05-31-2018, 08:39 PM
Hello I would like to be considered for the DVD's. I am new to casting and am looking to gain all the information I can. Thank you for the consideration.

BrassMagnet
05-31-2018, 09:08 PM
1. JimB..
2. Rvenneman
3. PJames32
4. Pilgrim Sojourner
5. aws1963
6. Jake McCracken
7. RIHP
8. PARRR

2011redrider
05-31-2018, 09:21 PM
I also would like to be considered. Been casting about a year and need all the help I can get!

BrassMagnet
05-31-2018, 09:41 PM
1. JimB..
2. Rvenneman
3. PJames32
4. Pilgrim Sojourner
5. aws1963
6. Jake McCracken
7. RIHP
8. PARRR
9. 2011redrider

Closed!

901S
05-31-2018, 09:44 PM
I missed this by two minutes. Story of my life.

What do you guys think of FortuneCookie45LC and ElvisAmmo on youtube?

Jake McCracken
05-31-2018, 09:58 PM

I have watched Elvis Ammo a lot. He is pretty funny and informative. I'm still new at this myself so I cant vouch for his accuracy, but judging by the comments on his videos, he seems to know his stuff.

As for being 2 minutes late... I'd be happy to send you the videos I'm getting after I watch them. Just shoot me a PM with your address and I'll send them along after I finish watching. That is as long as BrassMagnet is cool with it.

BrassMagnet
06-01-2018, 07:57 AM

Actually three minutes, but not everything that is over is really over. One set is reserved for a local who may pass on them. Likewise, most of the selectees have not provided a mailing address and they may become disqualified. Besides, Jake or one of the others may just send their copy to you.
I think 901S may have planted the seed to grow a newer and informal lending library.

Jake McCracken
06-01-2018, 10:47 AM
Jake or one of the others may just send their copy to you.
I think 901S may have planted the seed to grow a newer and informal lending library.

I'd be happy to pass them along, and a lending library would be great if it would keep going! I'll keep my eyes peeled at yard sales and gun shows. Worst case it will make good PIF or helping hands Materials.

As soon as I receive and watch them I will move them along, provided he (or someone else) sends me an address. ;-)

BrassMagnet
06-02-2018, 12:11 PM
Disqualified:

2. Rvenneman

DukeInFlorida
06-03-2018, 10:44 PM
As the former "Librarian" of the DVD Lending Library, I should have put myself in for a set.
Shucks. Maybe George will sneak in, drop off a set, grab some goodies from my amazing inventory of reloading stuff, and make off with all my booze (hahaha, George, I am not drinker, unless you consider home roasted coffee to be of interest!)

It's a wonderful thing you are doing, Ron. God Bless you!

BrassMagnet
06-04-2018, 08:25 PM
DVDs should be arriving today and tomorrow.

Jake McCracken
06-05-2018, 09:50 AM
DVDs should be arriving today and tomorrow.

mine came yesterday, watched them last night. Learned a lot! Took lots of notes.

Ready to FWD on tho the next person. All I need is an address

BrassMagnet
06-05-2018, 12:20 PM
I suggest 901S

retread
06-05-2018, 12:34 PM
Ron, I am starting to mentor of few fellows and I think a set would be good for them to get a feel for what I am trying to teach. A set would be really appreciated.

Jay

Sorry did not se the closed post till I posted this. :roll:

RG1911
06-05-2018, 01:14 PM
Ron,

If there are any sets remaining, I would very much like to purchase one. Youtube is okay, but I hate to be stuck in front of my computer.

Thank you,
Richard

BrassMagnet
06-05-2018, 01:39 PM
Since some people want to keep these and some just want to watch them once, I say we send them on to the next in line until they all end up with someone that wants to keep them.

retread
06-05-2018, 03:26 PM
If anyone wants to pass a set on after viewing, I would like to receive a set. Thanks, Jay

Jake McCracken
06-05-2018, 04:18 PM
I suggest 901S

I've been hinting for him to send me a PM with an address. But it seems he hasn't caught the hint. So I just PM'd him directly.

DukeInFlorida
06-17-2018, 11:01 AM
I was the librarian for these for a long time. However, when Ron (who paid for the DVD's, God bless him!) asked for them to be sent to him, I obliged.

As an NRA reloading Instructor, I sure would love to have one of the sets for lending to my students. So, if anyone would consider sending me one of the sets, it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DaveTNC
08-03-2018, 10:43 PM
I’m just getting everything together to start casting and would like to view these. If anybody has watched them and wants to pass them on, I would send them to someone else after watching them.

If you have a set you’re willing to send me, please PM me for my address.

Thanks!

Dave

2011redrider
08-04-2018, 12:24 AM
Dave
I got one of the sets and loaned them to a friend of mine who casts. I can check and see if he is done with them and if so, you are welcome to them. They are very basic and directly from you tube videos.

DaveTNC
08-04-2018, 10:10 PM
Thanks. Basic is OK, since I’m just starting out and haven’t cast my first bullet yet. I’m trying to gather all the info I can.

Dave

dbosman
08-05-2018, 04:48 PM
Casting can be a complicated as you wish to make it, but there is a point where practice will do you more good than more study. One great point about casting is that you can hide your early mistakes.

Thanks. Basic is OK, since I’m just starting out and haven’t cast my first bullet yet. I’m trying to gather all the info I can.
Dave

DaveTNC
08-11-2018, 11:18 PM
Casting can be a complicated as you wish to make it, but there is a point where practice will do you more good than more study. One great point about casting is that you can hide your early mistakes.

Thats a good point, true of a lot of things. I’ve got enough stuff together to start casting and will probably try it for the first time tomorrow, but since the DVDs arrived yesterday I’ll watch them first. I might pick up something that will help. There’s still a couple of things I’m a little unsure of, but I think I’ve learned enough to try it.

Dave

DaveTNC
08-12-2018, 05:43 PM
Well, I finally cast my first ones today. (I posted a thread in the Cast Boolits forum titled "My First Cast Bullets" but don't know how to link to it.)

I've watched the DVDs that 2011redrider sent to me and are ready to send them on to the next person that would like to see them. I'll send them out to the first person to PM me saying they want them.

"Bullet Casting 101" is a basic overview of the process, starting with safety gear and ending with range testing bullets that were cast during the video.

"Casting Premium Bullets for Handguns" goes into a little more depth, but is still pretty basic. But I did like the section on inspecting and troubleshooting bullets that told what caused different defects in the castings.

All in all, I found a few things interesting since I had never cast a bullet before. Someone new to casting might learn a few things like I did. But if you've been doing it for any length of time the videos are probably too basic to do you any good.

One thing in the videos that I haven't seen discussed anywhere else is the use of a "sprue cooling fan". The guy in the video had a small fan that he held the mold in front of for a few seconds before opening the sprue and releasing the bullets. I don't plan to do this, but wondered if anybody else does. I'm slow enough that I think doing that would cool my mold off too much.

Dave

DaveTNC
08-18-2018, 11:04 AM
The DVDs are on the way to retread. 8-)