PDA

View Full Version : New LAR 15 5.56

Calamity Jake
09-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Ok guys I just picked up my new RRA LAR 15 Varmit 24" 1 in 12, for cast only, and I would like to pick some brains for your favorite loads with the Lyman 225415 or the RCBS 22-055 cast in 50/50 WW/Lino which should be hard(18 BHN) enough but I can HT if I need to. I have a lot of different powders to work with starting with GD and going down the scale to 4064 including some of the surps (4759, CMR100,4895, and 852). 2400-2700FPS is my goal with good accuracy!!
I know I can search here and look in my manuals but there is so much knowlage here I just can't help but ask first.

Thanks in advance

GabbyM
09-14-2008, 01:23 AM
What you think of this 60 grain Saeco bullet? It's designed for the AR platform.
I've a box full cast up in the white. Lathesmith made me a .225” size die for my Star. Just need to finish some up.

I've this mold set up for my Magma Master Caster. They just fly out once you get up to temp. Need to go very fast just to keep the mold hot with the fan blowing on it. I think I did 700 in one hour? Had a bunch with bent bases from not cutting the spur fast enough. Slow learning curve on my part. It's a rush to see how many bullets you get from an ingot of lead.

If you'd like to try out these heavy 22's I'd be happy to send you a bag full in the white.
If you don't have your dies and stuff yet I could finish them up . Would need to be compensated for the gas checks or swap for some bullets. What ever works.

I'd like to see this 60gr bullet shot side by side with the two you listed. Do you have those molds yet or are you still shopping?
BTW the back ground in this photo is standard 20# copy paper. You are looking at a large image of a small bullet. Boolit is .670" L. without GC.
Nose looks like a Lyman Postal on a stamp. ?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=151

Calamity Jake
09-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Gabby I've got everything I need to load the 22's execpt the M die expander, just haven't got it made yet. Yes I would love to try some of them Saeco 60 grainers(I love Saeco moulds), can tread boolet for boolet if you want to try some of my 22's or something else, I have supplies of 6, 6.5, 7, & 8mm ,25, 270, 30(.310 to .315Ø) 38, 44 & 45 pistol. take your pick or I have cash.

Still looking for some load data?

GabbyM
09-14-2008, 03:27 PM
A one up swap would be good for me. I'd love to try both those 22 bullets you have.
You've lots of stuff their Jake. I'll email my bullet list for you to look over.

Did you see the thread over in (hunting with cast bullets) "Fallow deer Yesterday"? Deer shot with 223 down in New Zealand? Very impresive photos. 42gr pill over 7.5gr of Unique. Amazing.

I've got to get some work done now. I know it's Sunday.