PDA

View Full Version : Ordered my first mold

wendyj
05-21-2018, 06:01 PM
Went for a cheap Lee 252 mold 2 cavity. Thought I'd try and ladle a few rounds out of a pot on turkey fryer and see if I'm any good before buying pot and sizers. I can always do that later. Only got 2 lbs of lead to start with. I hope it's something I enjoy. Watching videos and reading it looks like it would be relaxing and my gun range is shut down for 2 months to extend distance.

Tazza
05-21-2018, 06:10 PM
It's a good starting point.

I liked using my bottom pour pot with a lee 6 banger when i started, it did the job quite quickly, it wasn't unpleasant.

Years later, gear has changed to an automated master caster so i can focus on other things while it's making pistol food :)

Wayne Smith
05-22-2018, 07:54 AM
Wendy I started with an old kitchen 1qt pot and a Lyman Ladle on a Coleman camp stove. Stove is different but the pot is still filled with pure lead - and I'm still using the Lyman ladle almost 20 years later. Not in a hurry and I enjoy the process of ladle casting.

wendyj
05-22-2018, 12:08 PM
I'm going to do the same with exception of a ss dipper I bought and will drill a hole in it. I am not in a hurry either. I do want to see if I enjoy it which I think I will.

Walks
05-22-2018, 12:52 PM
You would do well to use welding gloves. A small pot over a turkey fryer is gonna be REAL HOT. You might also be better served by getting a GOOD dipper. The right dipper GOES A LONG WAY in casting decent bullets. If you're going to dipper cast don't handicap yourself by trying it with an inferior tool. I'VE TRIED IT, IT'S NOT WORTH THE FRUSTRATION. THE LEE dipper may work for round ball. But nothing else. You can still cast a great .45cal 535gr POSTELL out of a single cavity mold with an RCBS or LYMAN dipper.

MostlyLeverGuns
05-22-2018, 02:49 PM
Walks has it right. You need a decent dipper to successfully cast. I started with a single cavity Lyman, Lyman cast iron pot on a Coleman stove, had the LYMAN dipper, no Lee bullet molds in 1964. A LYMAN or RCBS lead dipper is a decent place to start. That Lee lead spoon will not help you.There are other lead dippers but the Lyman or RCBS have the boolit caster in mind.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-22-2018, 02:56 PM
I hope you don't get discouraged easily.

When I first started casting, before I ordered a Lee bottom pour pot, I tried to cast a few with a Lee ladle and a old used 45 cal 2 cavity Lee mold. I didn't have any success, but I was doing this while I was smelting scrap lead, and luckily for me, I did enjoy the smelting part enough to continue with casting.

Then, when I bought the Lee bottom pour pot, it was like night and day with getting good looking boolits from the mold...a bottom pour makes it quite easy compared to what you are about to attempt. There are many other hints, tips, and tricks you will learn along the way to make things even more successful. But all I'm just saying is, if you don't have first time boolit casting success with a turkey fryer/pot and homemade ladle, you wouldn't be alone...You'd be part of a pretty large group.

vagrantviking
05-22-2018, 04:36 PM
One important thing to help start on the right foot is to be sure you degrease the mold well before starting.

vagrantviking
05-22-2018, 05:09 PM
Oops. Double tap.

Lots of reading here will give you the best way to avoid common problems and the ability to troubleshoot any issues that do come up.

wendyj
05-22-2018, 05:34 PM
Will gun blaster work. It's what I get grease off my ar with. Does that mean the cavities or entire mold. Read somewhere about cleaning with dish soap and toothbrush. Boiling afterwards and air dry but not sure. Lees instruction said to clean cavities with a Q Tip and any degreaser. Lubricating moving parts with candle wax.

Landy88
05-23-2018, 03:59 PM
I'm going to do the same with exception of a ss dipper I bought and will drill a hole in it. I am not in a hurry either. I do want to see if I enjoy it which I think I will.

That bottom pour drilled ladle is something that I give much credit for allowing me to produce good bullets from my first casting session. It allows great visibility; and the fixed hole / flow removes a variable when, as a beginner, one is learning to adjust too many as it is.

I'd, only, suggest more alloy and less burner.

NoZombies
05-23-2018, 04:54 PM
Brake cleaner is fine, carb cleaner isn't. I prefer hot water, dawn dish soap and a toothbrush. Make sure the mold is hot before you start pouring, otherwise you will see things that look like you're silver prunes into the mold.

Don't use candle wax as a mold lube, it burns off and leaves a ton of carbon residue build up without doing a good job of lubing the mold, even at first. If you can find a small bottle of synthetic 2 stroke oil, that's what most of the commercial "mold lubes' actually are. It only takes a drop or two, I use a Q-tip. Once the mold is pre-heated, open it up, and use the Q-tip to apply a very light amount to the alignment pins and the sprue plate hinge (just touch them with the Q-tip that has a drop on it). Then cast a few times, after the second or third cast, strike the sprue off, and with the sprue plate open, but without dropping the bullets out, use the same Q-tip to lightly touch the top of the mold, I just use a line across the top on the block half that's nearest the open sprue plate, then you can drop the bullets. By leaving the bullets in the cavity, it prevents the oil from getting into the cavities, at least in theory.

The mold should then be sufficiently lubed for many pours. If you feel the cavities becoming more difficult to close, or the sprue plate resistance increasing, re-lube. A drop of 2 stroke synthetic on a Q-tip should be enough to lube everything on the mold that needs lubed, anytime it needs it. Too much and it can migrate to the cavities, giving you a whole different set of frustrations.

wendyj
05-23-2018, 06:02 PM
I can use a Coleman stove verses the turkey fryer. I just pulled it out to melt the 30-30 bullets into ingots since I'm not shooting 30-30 anymore.

Landy88
05-23-2018, 06:15 PM
I can use a Coleman stove verses the turkey fryer. I just pulled it out to melt the 30-30 bullets into ingots since I'm not shooting 30-30 anymore.

That's a good idea, I think, for both safety and comfort.

If you haven't seen it, this thread and its posts by NavyVet1959 are good on the drilled ladles:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?299585-Fabbed-bottom-pour-ladle

wendyj
05-23-2018, 06:29 PM
I watched. Video with Fortune Cookie 45 and a dipper he had drilled a 3/32 inch hole in the bottom. Looked like he was liking it better than his dipper. Only $4.00 so not out too much.

rsrocket1
05-23-2018, 07:21 PM
The right equipment makes a big difference as to whether you make casting fun or a chore. You can melt toy soldiers over a campfire and make musket balls like Mel Gibson did in The Patriot which is fine if you shoot no more than about 6 shots in an entire battle. Hand pouring pistol bullets 2 at a time with a modified spoon over a hot cauldron of lead is not going to be fun unless you truly want to cast just a few dozen bullets.

My first batch was with a Lee 4-20 and a six cavity Lee TL452-230-TC and it was a real joy to see a bowl full of bullets after just a few minutes of casting.

https://images3.imgbox.com/02/35/Cw4C2jjJ_o.jpg

Once I shot them, I was hooked.

https://images.imgbox.com/3a/4c/sLw9aKau_o.jpg

BrassMagnet
05-25-2018, 11:27 AM
Went for a cheap Lee 252 mold 2 cavity. Thought I'd try and ladle a few rounds out of a pot on turkey fryer and see if I'm any good before buying pot and sizers. I can always do that later. Only got 2 lbs of lead to start with. I hope it's something I enjoy. Watching videos and reading it looks like it would be relaxing and my gun range is shut down for 2 months to extend distance.

.252?
.452?

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-25-2018, 12:23 PM
.252?
.452?

I suspect he is talking about Lee's 45 cal 252gr SWC
https://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-452-252-swc.html

I have that mold, it's one that I like for 45 Colt, as well as 45acp Revolvers.

BrassMagnet
05-25-2018, 12:27 PM
I suspect he is talking about Lee's 45 cal 252gr SWC
https://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-452-252-swc.html

I have that mold, it's one that I like for 45 Colt, as well as 45acp Revolvers.

I think you're right!

Even I can be educated!

wendyj
05-25-2018, 05:41 PM
.452 .252. My rifle shoots .452 best.

tward
05-25-2018, 06:12 PM
Wendyj, I started out 58 years ago with a single cavity Lyman mold, Lyman pot and dipper. I still have the all that. A Lee Mold is a good place to start, scrub it well several times under very hot water a toothbrush and Dawn liquid. Dry and then heat it up by the lead pot or burner. Lube with 2 cycle synthetic oil then start casting. Be sure to leave a large puddle of lead on the sprue plate, you will notice a slight dimple on the sprue as it cools. A large puddle helps with good fill out. Remember all the sprue and bad Bullets can all be remelted so you aren’t,t wasting anything with the large puddle. Have fun and do get some cheap Harbor Freight welding gloves.
Be sure to post some pictures on the forum for a critique and helpful suggestions. We were all once where you are now! Tim

RED BEAR
05-25-2018, 06:41 PM
speaking as one who has a scar that covers a large portion of the back of my hand please invest in a pair of welding gloves! i started 45 years ago on the kitchen stove a few melted tiles on floor and took a 30 year break in my casting. ten years ago got back into it outside of course. started with lee pot not bottom pour and lee dipper and mold. still using the pot had to switch to lyman dipper but cast a lot of bullers with that lee dipper still use it for skimming. the mold is still going strong. i have molds from a lot of mold makers and still like the lee molds as good as any. lee has some good equipment at a good price. i just enjoy casting and probably have more cast than i will ever use. there is a lot of good info here just when ever a problem or question arises check the board pretty sure one of the members has run into it before. and don't be afraid to ask there are no foolish questions. now that i have run on to long i will just say good luck and welcome aboard.

wendyj
05-25-2018, 08:09 PM
My skillet was an 8 inch. Kitchen ladle too big. 2 lbs of lead not enough. I tried a few and mold wasn't hot enough. Had a few nice ones after mold got to right heat. Not many and will have to melt them again. Lead was probably 1/2 deep. I enjoyed it but need better equipment. Deeper pot decent ladle and more lead.

Landy88
05-25-2018, 08:30 PM
That's a good start, and it reads like you are a quick study. Your list of fixes for next time is spot on.

As a newbie, myself, I think that your biggest and best surprise will be how much better you do in your next session.

tward
05-25-2018, 11:00 PM
Wendyj, looks good! How’d you get them to stick upside down?:kidding: Tim

nagantguy
05-26-2018, 12:14 AM
A hand held torch or a cheap hot plate will help greatly in getting a mold up to “temp” quickly and is great for keeping molds hot while using more than one per session!

wendyj
05-26-2018, 08:36 AM
Wendyj, looks good! How’d you get them to stick upside down?:kidding: Tim

Took picture right side up. Lol. I don't know how it done it.

BrassMagnet
05-26-2018, 08:48 AM
Casting DVD videos would likely help you a lot. See my thread on them.

wendyj
05-26-2018, 08:49 AM
A hand held torch or a cheap hot plate will help greatly in getting a mold up to “temp” quickly and is great for keeping molds hot while using more than one per session!

I've got a quick start torch and used it to light my camp stove and turkey fryer. I had heat all the way up on the camp stove and after 10 minutes the lead hadn't melted at all. I moved it to the turkey fryer and just a few seconds to melt. I turned heat down to cast. Need a thermometer also. I fluxed with a piece of candle wax. It done good but with so little lead and it only being about a 1/2 deep it was hard to keep good deep clean lead. I cleaned my mold with dawn and a toothbrush. Lubed all necessary parts with Rem oil. Used candle soot to treat my mold cavities. I had it and the ladle in the upper end of skillet letting it warm up. I had the camp stove right beside of it with 3 more skillets and pans. I should have kept it lit to lay mold in another pan first.

I think my preference for a pot would have been about 4 inches around and maybe6-10 inches deep with more lead and a lot smaller ladle. I am confused of what to do with my mold now. I tapped everything off and used torch to clean the entire metal parts. Brought it back inside my loading room to prevent rust. Do I need to clean again like a new one??

BrassMagnet
05-26-2018, 08:58 AM
Get and watch the DVD videos!

nagantguy
05-26-2018, 09:38 AM
Also yard sales and Salvation Army stores are your friend! My deep cast iron pot for making my house alloy and a long paddle and some cast iron corn cob Ingot molds and my powder coating oven all came from yard sales as well lots of lead brass and pewter

wendyj
05-26-2018, 12:38 PM
Got about 10 lbs of wheel weights after 5 different tire stores. Zinc and steel I presume won't melt as lead will around 700-8-- degreee

Landy88
05-26-2018, 04:20 PM
Your turkey fryer will melt the zinc and ruin your lead alloy. Sort them out very well or wait til you have a themometer to help you keep the temp above lead's melting point but below zinc's.

You are correct that skillets are too wide and shallow to make good casting pots.

The Lyman and RCBS over flame ten pound pots are simply too small.

In cast a small Dutch oven and in stainless a heavy, restaurant supply, double boiler top; either of about a quart to two quart size works very well for casting - bigger can be better for smelting, but about this size is better for casting.

As you learned lead in ingots melts slowly. Priming the pot with some left in it or, at least, with smaller sprues and reject bullets will be much less trying of your patience.

wendyj
05-26-2018, 04:48 PM
I'm trying to decide if I want a bottom pour pot or just the Lee 4 lb pot. I reload and shoot and fish more than I will ever cast. I'm very Leary of the wheel weight I melted. Thermometer from kitchen said 750 degrees. Had a blue , red an orange tint on top of lead which took a few hours to get off. I put the lead in corn bread cast iron for ingots. More junk than lead. You real casters here probably do thousands a year where I'm happy with 200 a month. The tint on top of lead looked like crayons melted in it. I fluxed with candle wax and Lizard litter maybe 3 times. First go around and wheel weights were free so I'm out nothing but a little time. Lol. And a lot of sweat. My Coleman stove has issues since it took almost 30-40 minutes to boil water so I could check the thermometer. I di switch over to the turkey fryer for time. I won't ever use a huge ss dipper from Walmart anymore either. Couldn't get enough lead at one time. Need golf ball size for this 2 cavity mold. Even with my mistakes and learning curves I still find it relaxing and enjoyable. I need a place to buy lead at around 15 to 16 bh to mushroom out. The laser cast I have are a 22 bh and I would use on huge critters but nothing we have here. The Lee 4 lb pot looks like it would be ok for my needs. I'm not sure what to do with ingots I made today. Probably trash with the odd colors I was seeing.

Landy88
05-26-2018, 05:29 PM
I'm not sure what to do with ingots I made today. Probably trash with the odd colors I was seeing.

Remember that I'm pretty new, too; but the colors are likely rubber and road grime being burnt off. Zinc causes a pasty "oatmeal" consistency. Your ingots are likely fine.

I like ladling boolits: but would not consider that 4 pounder, due to such limited ladle access as much as low lead volume. Both Lyman and Lee make electric 20 lb ladle pots and RCBS a nice 25 lb..

BrassMagnet
05-26-2018, 05:31 PM
Watch the videos. Free!

tward
05-26-2018, 07:09 PM
Wendyj, if you have a Lee mold don’t worry about rust. The sprue plate can rust so just store the mold in it’s original box in a dry place. When you cast again just lube lightly as you did the first time. Dirty molds usually cast and drop more easily. Tim
P.S. thecaptain on our commercial selling page has nice clean lead at good prices. Also Rotometals has great lead and is a sponsor on our site.

john.k
05-26-2018, 07:32 PM
WJ,the bright colors are oxides of lead at high temp.....IMHO you are running too hot if your lead is oxidizing at that rate.Some powdered charcoal as top cover will reduce this oxiditation.The powder wont interfere with ladle casting ,if you use the right technique,as it is so light compared to lead.Dirt in the mix will cause more problems as it sticks to the pot,but floats up when disturbed,or stirred.The problems with bottom pour pots are mostly caused by dirt in the lead.

Tom W.
05-26-2018, 10:24 PM
You'll like the bottom pour pot, I believe. I have two, because the ten pound pot emptied out too fast after the mold came up to temp. You might like the RCBS- 270 SAA mold. It's not nearly as cheap as a Lee mold, but throws some mighty accurate bullets, at least for me. I never had any luck with any .45 Colt bullets until I got that mold.....

Echo
05-27-2018, 02:50 PM
Re Gloves: I use leather gloves I buy from Costco - 3 pair for less than $20, and do the job, while not being as clumsy as welder's gloves.
Re pot running out: I have a supply of ingots close to my casting station, and replenish as I go. I like to keep a full pot - that way as I put the hot sprue's back in and as I introduce a resupply of a warmed-on-the-lip-of-the-pot ingot, there is little change in the pot temp...

wendyj
06-10-2018, 12:27 PM
221892Well it's been about 3 weeks or so in now. Got the Lee 4-20 and bottom pour some and ladle some. Don't like my mold so ordered a NOE mold. Got to get a lube sizer yet. Don't care for the messy Alox lube. Cast these with 2 different Lee molds last Saturday and about a 100 yesterday. Really enjoying it. Glad I went with the 20 lb as even it runs through lead pretty quick with a 255 grain bullet. Got Rcbs thermometer and a hot plate. Found 50 lbs of lead on here and have another 50 lbs on its way. Anxious to get the Noe mold. Bought a sizing die and lubed up a bunch. Really enjoying the hobby. Almost as good as reloading.

toallmy
06-10-2018, 12:48 PM
Just wait until you shoot them , that there is some fun .:happy dance:

NoZombies
06-10-2018, 12:58 PM
221892Well it's been about 3 weeks or so in now. Got the Lee 4-20 and bottom pour some and ladle some. Don't like my mold so ordered a NOE mold. Got to get a lube sizer yet. Don't care for the messy Alox lube. Cast these with 2 different Lee molds last Saturday and about a 100 yesterday. Really enjoying it. Glad I went with the 20 lb as even it runs through lead pretty quick with a 255 grain bullet. Got Rcbs thermometer and a hot plate. Found 50 lbs of lead on here and have another 50 lbs on its way. Anxious to get the Noe mold. Bought a sizing die and lubed up a bunch. Really enjoying the hobby. Almost as good as reloading.

Congrats! Welcome to a great hobby!

wendyj
06-10-2018, 01:18 PM
Trying to see expansion on these but 2 soaked Atlanta phone books and about 1/2 piece of wood is still letting them go all the way through.