PDA

View Full Version : FWI: Central New York

BD
09-13-2008, 06:35 PM
I was in Tim's Guns outside of Elbridge yesterday to buy a shotgun. While there I happened to notice a couple of original cases of M 44s with bayonets @ $110.00 each and a case of Yugo SKS's with bayonets for $249 a piece. And about a half case of K 98s. I was sorely tempted by the M 44s, but I'm behaving myself for now. Nice to see a "real" gun shop.
BD

trickyasafox
09-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Tim is a great guy! I deal with him very regularly. He's a retired Syracuse Police Officer. he is the go to guy for surplus in our area.

crowbeaner
09-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Yeah, Tim is good people. Even if he doesn't have what I need, I try to buy the things I have to have from him when I go in. If he didn't want so much for those K98s I'd have one by now. The wife won't let me spend the $$. He had a good looking Marlin .22 the last time I was there. Maybe he'll have it when I go Christmas shopping; the kid needs one.

Bret4207
09-14-2008, 08:24 AM
Drat! I wish we had shops like that. Around here it's all 7 mags and 300WSSM/RUM stuff.

bruce drake
09-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Bret,

Drive down to Van Tassel's Gunshop in Evans Mills on RT 37. They are a family gunshop and run a good shop with a decent selection of C&Rs and new equipment. Mary is the nice one.

I can't wait to get back down there and shop again.

Now if I can swing further south to Elbridge I'd definitely hit that store for those Mausers.

Bruce

BD
09-14-2008, 06:13 PM
I went to the gun show in Syracuse today with my wife. It was the best show I've ever attended. Kept both of our attention completely for 5 hours and we had to rush through the last two isles as they were closing the show at 3:00 PM. A lot of booths, and a number of very nice collections on display. There were many flintlocks, caplocks and hundreds of nice older double shottys of all description. I must have looked at 30 or 40 sharps, maybe 25 trapdoor springfields, a few m1 carbines and many Garands. Plenty of examples of all of the 20th century military rifles, I saw M44s for $90 and I saw a guy pay $295 for a M96 Swede stamped #2/6.52. However, I must have fell asleep under a tree somewhere since I last looked at Krags (1,000) or M1 carbines (750 to 1,500). I saw quite a number of things I'd only seen in books prior to this, including a japanese matchlock and a Singer 1911 (85,000 on the tag!).

It was fun. My wife said it was great! Shes a big fan of the M1 carbines and those little gallery .22 pumps. I behaved myself pretty well as I'd just bought the shotgun a few days ago. It could have been bad if I'd have been feeling flush. I did find an original elevator for my old Winchester M67's rear sight and a forearm for the Mossberg, but in general I behaved myself.

BD

crowbeaner
09-14-2008, 08:14 PM
It's been so long since I went through Evans Mills I forgot about Van Tassel's. I usually just zing up to the Theresa exit and cut over that way. Stop and say hi to Louis Panunzio if he's open. Nice old guy; I bought a few rifles from him in the past. He's on 37 too.

Bret4207
09-15-2008, 05:58 AM
Yeah, I stopped at Louies last week but he was gone. Maybe this week. Van Tassels is just far enough away that I never get there.