View Full Version : Rhubarb Crumble

Hickory
05-21-2018, 07:22 AM
Rhubarb Crumble

This is a two part construction recipe.

3 cups rhubarb
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour

Clean and cut rhubarb into 1" pieces . Mix rhubarb, sugar and flour together. Place in the bottom of a greased 6"x10" baking dish set aside and make topping.

Topping.
1 egg slightly beaten
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Mix first three ingredients until crumbly, sprinkle over rhubarb. Drizzle melted butter over crumbly mix. Sprinkle nutmeg overall.
Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes.

MaryB
05-21-2018, 09:13 PM
Rhubarb crisp is on tonight's menu! Same but no egg in the topping. Mix butter, flour, sugar, cinnamon until crumbly. Top rhubarb in a baking dish, bake at 350 until browned and bubbly.

Silfield
05-22-2018, 08:43 AM
Fresh rhubarb is high on the list of summer treats for us-love the stuff!
Did you know that it is one of the only plants that you can hear growing.

MaryB
05-22-2018, 08:53 PM
Fresh rhubarb is high on the list of summer treats for us-love the stuff!
Did you know that it is one of the only plants that you can hear growing.

Stand next to a hop plant... they grow a foot a day in spring...

Lloyd Smale
05-23-2018, 05:38 AM
Heck being this far north. Mine is just a couple inches high so far.

Hickory
05-23-2018, 05:50 AM
Heck being this far north. Mine is just a couple inches high so far.

Then you have plenty of time to try this wonderful recipe.

Silfield
05-23-2018, 08:56 AM
Stand next to a hop plant... they grow a foot a day in spring...

Wow! Don't have any hops in the garden but have a clematis that is putting on 4" to 5" a day.

trapper9260
05-23-2018, 09:07 AM
I am working on my 2nd picking ,because of it is already going into seed. I have not had it this way in years. Will have to have some soon. Thanks for the reminder.

MaryB
05-23-2018, 08:34 PM
Make rhubarb sauce by slow simmering with sugar and cinnamon. Then use that to make a milkshake...

Hickory
05-24-2018, 05:32 AM
Make rhubarb sauce by slow simmering with sugar and cinnamon. Then use that to make a milkshake...

I've tried that and it was great.
I always wondered why there are so many people who don't like rhubarb.

Lloyd Smale
05-24-2018, 07:13 AM
strawberry/rhubarb pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. doesn't get any better then that. Especially if both come out of your own yard.

trapper9260
05-24-2018, 07:50 AM
strawberry/rhubarb pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. doesn't get any better then that. Especially if both come out of your own yard.
I like strawberry /rhubarb pie and jam also .That is one of my top to eat. For how things are for me I am not able to eat ice cream for some years.I like it but things tell me different.

MaryB
05-24-2018, 08:46 PM
Rhubarb bread too, great for breakfast. Same base recipe as banana bread, I just sub double the amount of rhubarb pieces that I have rolled in sugar and cinnamon. Creates a little rhubarb sugar pocket in the bread...

Lloyd Smale
05-25-2018, 07:14 AM
yes mam that rhubarb bread is great. I'm not much on bananas and don't care for banana bread but will eat me some rhubarb bread. I sometimes add some strawberrys to it too.
Rhubarb bread too, great for breakfast. Same base recipe as banana bread, I just sub double the amount of rhubarb pieces that I have rolled in sugar and cinnamon. Creates a little rhubarb sugar pocket in the bread...