PDA

View Full Version : Ohaus 10-10 scale part

abunaitoo
05-21-2018, 05:03 AM
I was looking at the Ohaus I have and noticed the label for the 10ths is missing.
Any suggestions on getting a replacement????

metricmonkeywrench
05-21-2018, 05:50 AM
I feel your pain on that one, both Ohaus and RCBS have quit supporting these scales. May be worth giving them a call to make sure that there's not one on the back shelf almost forgotten. Otherwise it's down to watching eBay for a parts scale. Both the 10-10 and it's little brother the 5-10 have the same poise indicator.

Worst case snip out a piece of tin/aluminum, glue it on set the scale to a 0 (weight almost fully to the right) then get to turning and marking at each 10th (or every other) with a scribe or exacto knife. Chech with the weights and adjust accordingly.

Ole Joe Clarke
05-21-2018, 07:30 AM
I received a replacement label from RCBS, but the lines are not correct. It works, but I have to count the revolutions of the dial when I setup to check powder charges.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

abunaitoo
05-21-2018, 06:02 PM
Sent them an email.
Hope for the best.

abunaitoo
05-23-2018, 04:09 AM
Nothing so far.
I also sent an email to RCBS.
Same scale, should be the same label.

abunaitoo
05-23-2018, 11:09 PM
This is what I got from RCBS
"Sorry those are no longer available"
I think I the wrong person got the email. Most of the time they are a lot more helpful.

Bazoo
05-23-2018, 11:44 PM
Had an idea. Perhaps someone with an intact indicator can offer the spacing of the marks via .001s. Wouldnt be that hard i'd think to space them exactly with a computer, and print them off. If they were spaced evenly, you could adjust the actual spacing by enlarging or shrinking the image until it prints to the correct size.

Dryball
05-23-2018, 11:50 PM
I, too, feel your pain. Especially since my eyes have a hard time focusing on the shiny metal. The wheel is aluminum...I used Birchwood Casey's Aluminum black. Clean, and treat the surface, then rinse with water. For the final step I used a fine needle and scraped out the lines and numbers. Far better than that old sticker IMHO

Walks
05-24-2018, 12:01 AM
GEEZ, It's hard to believe & Very DEPRESSING that the BEST SCALE EVER for RELOADERS is no longer made or even supported. I saved & scrimped for 3 months to buy mine. Back when I was a starving student on the G. I. Bill, I still use it to verify all my other scales.

abunaitoo
05-25-2018, 03:16 AM
Had an idea. Perhaps someone with an intact indicator can offer the spacing of the marks via .001s. Wouldnt be that hard i'd think to space them exactly with a computer, and print them off. If they were spaced evenly, you could adjust the actual spacing by enlarging or shrinking the image until it prints to the correct size.

I am trying to do just that.
I have a RCBS 10-10 with the label.
My camera is not good enough to catch a good picture.
Maybe someone else will have better luck.
The length is 1.397

Omega
05-25-2018, 07:29 AM
You would think someone can laser engrave a piece of aluminum to scale with a little trial and error.

Ole Joe Clarke
05-25-2018, 08:26 AM
What is the pitch of the thread on the barrel screw? Need to know that to space the marks correctly.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

fast ronnie
05-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Don't know what you have in your shop, but the threads will be a given pitch. Divide "1" by the given pitch and it will tell you how many thousanths it will advance per revolution. Then, you can use a scribe on the mill to advance the lines like on a 6" scale.
Is the lines still on the drum? If not, they could be put on with an index head on the mill. Most are not going to have the mill, though.

ulav8r
05-25-2018, 10:45 PM
Or just draw it based on abunaitoo's measurement and picture.221034 Print it and check the length with your dial caliper. Adjust the scaling if needed and reprint. Once it is the correct size, laminate it and then affix it to your scale.

jimkim
05-26-2018, 02:34 AM
I'd contact Ohaus, and see if they have one.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

abunaitoo
05-26-2018, 03:15 AM
I sent Ohaus a email about a 10-10 on Amazon. Two listings.
This is what I got from Ohaus today.
Not much help.

Ohaus does not sell direct, we sell through distributors. Part number 30332167 is not an active part number. We no longer produce reloading balances.
These are the only mechanicals we have currently available:
https://us.ohaus.com/en-US/Products/Balances-Scales/Mechanical-Scales-Balances

Perhaps this seller on Amazon is selling our old reloading balance.

Sincerely,
Maggie Mahon
Inside Sales Team

OHAUS Corporation | 7 Campus Drive, Suite 310 Parsippany, NJ 07054
Phone: (973) 377-9000 ext. 7851

abunaitoo
05-26-2018, 03:18 AM
Or just draw it based on abunaitoo's measurement and picture.221034 Print it and check the length with your dial caliper. Adjust the scaling if needed and reprint. Once it is the correct size, laminate it and then affix it to your scale.

I would have tried that, but old camera will not give me a sharp picture.
Printer, Lazer, will not give me a clear printing.

EDG
05-26-2018, 05:58 AM
I just checked the thread pitch. It is 24 threads per inch.

A good ink jet or laser printer could print that on paper until you get the scale perfect. Then print it on mylar or similar matl used for overhead transparencies.

The scale could be drawn up with a CAD program and then it could be transfered to a metal sheet by a drafting supply or blue print printing house.

Ole Joe Clarke
05-26-2018, 07:35 AM
I just checked the thread pitch. It is 24 threads per inch.

A good ink jet or laser printer could print that on paper until you get the scale perfect. Then print it on mylar or similar matl used for overhead transparencies.

The scale could be drawn up with a CAD program and then it could be transfered to a metal sheet by a drafting supply or blue print printing house.

Thread pitch, line spacing, is .0416, center to center.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

ulav8r
05-26-2018, 12:46 PM
I am trying to do just that.
I have a RCBS 10-10 with the label.
My camera is not good enough to catch a good picture.
Maybe someone else will have better luck.
The length is 1.397

If 1.397 is the distance from 0 to 10, then the thread pitch does not matter. The print I posted above (221065) was drawn in CAD with a length of 1.397 from 0 to 10.

Edit to add: The picture seems to show that the drum is marked to show .1 grain increments and that one revolution would equal 1 grain. If so, then the label should show one revolution moving from one mark to the next. I can't scale the picture accurately, but it looks like the distance from 0 to 10 is about 7/8 of an inch. That would give a movement of approximately .0875 per revolution, equivalent to 11.4 threads per inch.

A blank label could be laid out on the scale using the drum to position the marks if no one can measure an actual label and provide dimensions.

abunaitoo
05-27-2018, 03:49 AM
The 1.397 is the total length of the label.
I should have been more clear.
Sorry
When I have some time, I'm going to cut/form a a piece to replicate the label.
I'll then try to mark the lines on it.
My thinking is the lines are just a rough reference. When turning the drum from 0 to .9, it would be the true measure.
Make sense???

05-27-2018, 07:55 AM
Just an observation here - the label is a little shorter that the framed housing to allow a little wiggle room to line up the zero on the label and the zero on the barrel.

EDG
05-27-2018, 07:57 AM
You are correct. The drum rotation governs the location of the drum weight. The scale is just a convenient reference for your eyeballs.

If you look at the end of the brass screw you will find a screw slot that permits zeroing of the drum.

Sorry
My thinking is the lines are just a rough reference. When turning the drum from 0 to .9, it would be the true measure.
Make sense???

ulav8r
05-27-2018, 09:48 PM
Sorry
Make sense???

Been a long time since I saw a 1010, does one rotation of the drum equal one grain? With 24 threads per inch, one rotation would only move .0417 inches, ten rotations would be .417 inches, twenty would be .833 inches. What is the distance from 0 to 10 to the nearest .001"?

abunaitoo
05-28-2018, 05:27 PM
One rotation of the drum is 1 grain. Correct.
O to 10 looks to be about .414.

ulav8r
05-28-2018, 08:31 PM
Redrew it at .0147 per graduation. 221243

05-29-2018, 05:32 AM
It's also worth considering, while we are talking about these fine old scales, what parts are interchangeable with other scales. For example, the beam of the 10/10 is exactly the same as the beam on the 5-10.

All the regular RCBS scales, the 502, 505, 5-10, 10/10 (and their Ohaus badged equivalents) use exactly the same agate bearings and bearing side plates. All the pan stirrups, pan hangers and pans are the same (you will need to adjust the tare weights as the parts are never the same weight)

The adjusting foot of the 502, 505, 5-10 are the same. The damper magnets of the 5-10 and the 10/10 are the same. The body of the 502 and 505 are the same.

The whole range use the same knife edge, it's a press fit in the beam and can be changed without too much trouble. So, the next time you see an incomplete scale going for a song in a yard sale it might be worth stashing it away, bearing in mind that RCBS no longer support these scales.

kokomokid
05-29-2018, 08:41 AM
It's also worth considering, while we are talking about these fine old scales, what parts are interchangeable with other scales. For example, the beam of the 10/10 is exactly the same as the beam on the 5-10.

All the regular RCBS scales, the 502, 505, 5-10, 10/10 (and their Ohaus badged equivalents) use exactly the same agate bearings and bearing side plates. All the pan stirrups, pan hangers and pans are the same (you will need to adjust the tare weights as the parts are never the same weight)

The adjusting foot of the 502, 505, 5-10 are the same. The damper magnets of the 5-10 and the 10/10 are the same. The body of the 502 and 505 are the same.

The whole range use the same knife edge, it's a press fit in the beam and can be changed without too much trouble. So, the next time you see an incomplete scale going for a song in a yard sale it might be worth stashing it away, bearing in mind that RCBS no longer support these scales.

Have you ever sharpened the knife edge on the beam?

05-29-2018, 09:45 AM
Have you ever sharpened the knife edge on the beam?

Yes, many times. :)

Here's a Redding that needed some work:
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=np2XyJlN3Js