PDA

View Full Version : 29-3 to the factory

mustanggt
05-21-2018, 12:07 AM
I bought a 29-3 S&W back in Feb. and couldn't get over my luck that I found one this nice for the price. It looked like it never been fired or very little. Took it to the range and tried out some trailboss loads in it at 825fps and moved on to 10 of Unique. Didn't shoot too well. Probably me since its been a few years since I shot a 44 mag. Got it home to clean and saw all kinds of bluing missing from the ciylinder and the bolt turn mark had gotten way more prominent. End shake was terrible and cylinder gap was .009" I checked over all the necessary points on buying a used revolver. They all passed my test. No way did those two loads cause the frame to crack from the bottom of the barrel through under lug of the crane housing. Sent it off to Smith and it's a total loss. I get a brand new one for my troubles. We'll see if it is made as well as the 29-3. I hope it will live up to its billing. real disappointed.

243winxb
05-21-2018, 02:01 AM
A free new gun? Lucky you. A new 44 mag will have the endurance package. My M29-2 didn't and is back for repair now.

mustanggt
05-21-2018, 06:19 AM
Well I did pay $1000 for the 29-3 so I'm out money for the one I really wanted and only put 40 half power rounds through it. I think it came with a flaw from the factory where the crack appeared. I'm ok with it and hope it looks and works as good as people say. Thanks

Forrest r
05-21-2018, 06:57 AM
My 4" bbl'd 29-3 has seen a couple rounds down the tube, actually a couple rounds too many.
https://i.imgur.com/2G8nnTn.jpg

Too bad about your 29-3, they are an excellent workhorse proving shooters with countless hours of quality range time.

Petrol & Powder
05-21-2018, 07:10 AM
I once purchased an old S&W model 12-2 that was unfired.

It was a beautiful, new in the box, 30+ year old revolver. I have experience with the model 12 and didn't wish to abuse that alloy frame. I selected some mild target loads and on the second cylinder full the groups opened up to shotgun patterns. The frame had cracked just under the barrel.

I didn't think S&W would warrantee that one but I asked anyway. I was right, they would not cover that one. So, I have a lot of spare Model 12 parts now, which is fine because I have another model 12. I lost the price of the gun but I was taking a chance when I purchased it and I knew it.

Thin Man
05-21-2018, 08:15 AM
Many years ago I bought a new M-19 (blue 6") and tried to duplicate Super Vel ammo by handloading. I built loads with 125 JHP bullets and SR4756 powder loaded as recommended by a Speer handbook. You know what's coming... The frame cracked under the barrel where the yoke closes. I found the damage during my cleaning routine after firing the revolver. Frustrated, and scared, I shipped it back to S&W for correction. The M-19 was a routine production item at that time so parts availability was not an issue. The factory fitted all of my original parts to a new frame and returned it to me at no cost. Since then I have stayed clear of hot charges with light bullets in the K-frames, actually most all hot charges with any bullet in the K's. This exercise in caution is more important now that earlier style frames are no longer available. That M-19 still gets to go out with me for the occasional fun day.

jdfoxinc
05-21-2018, 08:35 AM
Owned a 29 just after the Dirty Harry movies. Fired it maby 20 rounds and put it away. It hurt to shoot even with Hogue grips. Lost half the value when i traded it.

frkelly74
05-21-2018, 09:52 AM
I think I remember Dirty Harry saying he liked 44 special loads in his 44 mag and used the S&W 29 because he liked the extra weight of it. It has been a while and I do occasionally remember things that never happened, according to my wife.

Don Purcell
05-21-2018, 02:58 PM
You are correct.

mustanggt
06-10-2018, 08:42 AM
Well S&W called it irreparable. They sent me a brand new one free of charge. It turns out it is a better revolver than the -3. It has a better trigger and the blueing is nice as the -3. I've been shooting it this past week and like it a lot. I've been shooting 6gr of Red Dot and 8gr of Unique. Very nice accuracy and the recoil is just snappy enough to let you know your shooting a big bore revolver. Can't say a bad thing about it. Even the hole isn't that noticeable.

Texas by God
06-17-2018, 04:52 PM
I think I remember Dirty Harry saying he liked 44 special loads in his 44 mag and used the S&W 29 because he liked the extra weight of it. It has been a while and I do occasionally remember things that never happened, according to my wife.Magnum Force was the movie and he was talking to David Soul( Starsky&Hutch) when he said it.
I think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

mustanggt
06-17-2018, 05:18 PM
One thing I didn't like about it was the grips. Color is too light and they are too small for my hands. Good thing I still had the original stocks from the -3 those are nice and hand filling.

fatelk
06-20-2018, 01:05 AM
Too bad about the 29-3, but it sounds like you at least got a decent replacement.

An off topic comment, but I used to really stress about loss of value on a gun (or car, or tool). It really hurt to damage a valuable item. I've never blown up a gun, but it would have felt like the end of the world to accidentally destroy a $500 gun. Now, especially after a recent (minor) hospital visit that cost me $5,000, I wouldn't stress about it so much. It's just money, whatever.

mustanggt
06-20-2018, 05:52 AM
I've heard a saying that if your only problem is money you really don't have any problems. I try to tell myself that. I really am happy with that 29-10 classic so I'm over the -3. Now I'm looking for a pre 17 k22 masterpiece. Really like these old Smith revolvers.

Tatume
06-20-2018, 07:13 AM
I once purchased an old S&W model 12-2 that was unfired.

It was a beautiful, new in the box, 30+ year old revolver. I have experience with the model 12 and didn't wish to abuse that alloy frame. I selected some mild target loads and on the second cylinder full the groups opened up to shotgun patterns. The frame had cracked just under the barrel.

I didn't think S&W would warrantee that one but I asked anyway. I was right, they would not cover that one. So, I have a lot of spare Model 12 parts now, which is fine because I have another model 12. I lost the price of the gun but I was taking a chance when I purchased it and I knew it.

S&W has changed hands and policies. You should try again. They may fix it or replace it now.

fatelk
06-20-2018, 04:47 PM
I've heard a saying that if your only problem is money you really don't have any problems.

I like that. I’ll have to remember that, and occasionally remind myself of all the problems I don’t have. :)

Four-Sixty
06-20-2018, 08:54 PM
I listened to a podcast where they said a Smith and Wesson Representative told them at a trade show the average hand gun is fired only 15 times. I can believe it.

frkelly74
06-21-2018, 08:19 AM
Well, we knew we were all way above average, didn't we?

EMC45
06-21-2018, 09:40 PM
I listened to a podcast where they said a Smith and Wesson Representative told them at a trade show the average hand gun is fired only 15 times. I can believe it.

I think I have that licked Chris.

buckwheatpaul
06-21-2018, 09:56 PM
I think I remember Dirty Harry saying he liked 44 special loads in his 44 mag and used the S&W 29 because he liked the extra weight of it. It has been a while and I do occasionally remember things that never happened, according to my wife.

You are spot on with your memory in this case....he said so in "Magnum Force" ...... by the way my wife says the same thing about me!

square butte
06-22-2018, 07:45 AM
We have a motto around our house - Just because you don't remember it, does not mean it didn't happen - and conversely - Just because you remember it, doesn't mean it did happen. Being an older couple, we have a lot of fun with that.

murf205
06-24-2018, 10:19 PM
One thing I didn't like about it was the grips. Color is too light and they are too small for my hands. Good thing I still had the original stocks from the -3 those are nice and hand filling.
Yep, it seems that S&W went out of their way to make stocks that are ill conceived for big bore revolvers. Note to S&W... quit "improving" revolvers grips!

buckwheatpaul
06-24-2018, 10:52 PM
mustanggt, I bought a S & W 22 mag with 6" bbl back when 22 mag ammo was not available....when I got to shooting it I noticed that out of each cylinder one brass would be consistently ruptured.....I marked the cylinder with a pencil lead and then shot one shot until I identified the problem cylinder.....the pistol when I bought it would qualify for a 98% with no scratches or dents and a beautiful blue finish.....I sent a letter to S&W, in the fall of 2017, and explained what I just related to you plus there is no chance that any reloads were ever shot it the weapon, since i know of no way to reload 22 mag brass.....I gave them the make of ammo and all the other pertinent info and sent the gun in.....they researched it and charged me $198.00 for what was obviously a factory defect......the weapon shoots great and the long and short of this story is that you got a good deal on the new gun and I hope it works well for you. Whether or not they give or charge you is a **** shoot....but they did do a great job on my revolver....Paul

mustanggt
06-25-2018, 12:16 AM
I really do like it. I have been shooting it weekly since I got it. For those of you with small hands the new grips will be to your liking. However they are too small for mine. Fortunately I have the big target stocks from the -3 and they are perfect for my hands. Glad I remembered to take them off before I sent them off.

beagle
06-25-2018, 10:35 PM
I can believe that. Several years ago I picked up a S & W Model 30 for my wife's carry gun. Some rust specks and original box. Came from an old woman who gave it to a friend for a painting job. Been in the drawer in the box for eons. Came with a box of .32 Auto with six rounds gone. I'll bet that was all it had ever been fired./beagle

am44mag
06-25-2018, 11:40 PM
I bought a 29-3 S&W back in Feb. and couldn't get over my luck that I found one this nice for the price. It looked like it never been fired or very little. Took it to the range and tried out some trailboss loads in it at 825fps and moved on to 10 of Unique. Didn't shoot too well. Probably me since its been a few years since I shot a 44 mag. Got it home to clean and saw all kinds of bluing missing from the ciylinder and the bolt turn mark had gotten way more prominent. End shake was terrible and cylinder gap was .009" I checked over all the necessary points on buying a used revolver. They all passed my test. No way did those two loads cause the frame to crack from the bottom of the barrel through under lug of the crane housing. Sent it off to Smith and it's a total loss. I get a brand new one for my troubles. We'll see if it is made as well as the 29-3. I hope it will live up to its billing. real disappointed.

The newer ones shoot just as well as a good classic one. I have a 629 made right after they started putting the Hillary hole on them. It'll shoot cloverleafs if you do your part.