PDA

View Full Version : Lube on tip of Button nose wadcutters

pkchwy
05-20-2018, 07:36 PM
Hi all, I just got my first Lubesizers and have tryed to set it up. I am getting lube in the rings, But i am also getting 6 spots of lube on the point of every bullet, I think it could be lube transfer from the holes in the die but not sure, can some one help me out on how to fix this

thanks

tazman
05-20-2018, 07:52 PM
You may be running your boolit to deeply into the sizer.
Most wadcutters only need lube on the bottom couple of grooves. Many who can shoot well enough to tell say to lube only the bottom groove.

ReloaderFred
05-20-2018, 08:06 PM
Yep, the bullet is too far down into the die when the lube is applied. You don't say what kind of sizer you're running, but if it's an "up and down" sizer, such as Lyman, RCBS or Saeco, then adjust the depth so the bullet isn't pushed so far into the die. If it's a Star, then adjust the top punch so the bullet isn't so deep when the lube pump is activated.

Hope this helps.

Fred

oldhenry
05-20-2018, 09:24 PM
Sometimes the Star will do this if you have too much lube reservoir (not the pump) pressure.

Henry

Oily
05-21-2018, 05:21 AM
Taz and Fred are correct. Had this same situation when I first started lubesizing 45 ACP 185 button nose swc in a Lyman 450. Boolit was going too far into the die and was leaving lube dots on the swc nose. Simply back your depth adjustment out until you are only lubing the groove or grooves you want. No problem. And have fun on the learning curve, and don't hesitate to ask questions. I have only been casting for 15 years so I am still a newbie and refer to this site for info I might need. When you have a problem go to the stickies section and you will probably find your answer there

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-21-2018, 10:08 AM
pkchwy,
welcome to the forum.
Judging from your previous posts, I assume you are lube-sizing in a Star.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?360594-M-A-Systems-Collator-for-the-Star-Sizer&p=4365759&highlight=#post4365759
Too much lube pressure and/or too much heat (if you are heating the lube).
Also, there is a learning curve to setting up (adjusting) the top punch...so once you get the pressure/heat dialed in, then work on top punch height.

9.3X62AL
05-21-2018, 12:21 PM
No worries, Pkchwy. I am new to the hobby as well (37 years along) and I trip over something new every now & then. Welcome to the site.

pkchwy
05-21-2018, 05:46 PM
thank you all, I will try then and see if i can get it working