PDA

View Full Version : 45 AutoRim/ACP Loads

lead_her_fly
09-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Recently I sent a few (about 30) to a forum member on another forum to try. He has been having a terrible time with leading in his M625JM. I happen to have one of those too and have had next to no problems with leading. I also cast my own so it was a neat thing to have someone else shoot your bullets and give you a report. It turned out OK for him and I was glad to help.

Well, the Bible says: "You reap what you sow" so I got a blessing by getting some bullets from our forum member Paul5388. We were talking in a thread on another forum about aluminum versus cast molds and he offered to send me some of his to bullets try. (Just one more time when scripture has been proven true!)

Before I forget, I want to say a GREAT BIG THANKS to Paul for giving me some cool bullets to try.

Here is a picture of his compared to one of my favorites:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/Sackettwannabe/Boolits/45240_250_270.jpg
The one on the right is from an Ohaus mold that is supposed to cast a 270gr bullet. The ones I got weighed in right at 280gr! Imagine an almost 300gr bullet from the 45AR! The one in the middle is a 250gr and I think from a Lyman mold, maybe RCBS, Paul will have to straighten that out! ;) Then last but not least, the one of the left is my H&G #502 which as cast weighs right in there at 240gr. This has been one that I have been very pleased with in my M625JM. I have also shot this in my PT1911 with some success. The POI is different though by 6"!

My original quest was to see if I wanted to purchase a mold for a "H&G #68" type of bullet, I got these others as a side benefit and thought I would give a range report on all of them.

Paul sent some of his from a Lee mold and I have a few commercially cast to test them against.

It is raining cats and dogs here today so a trip to the range may have to wait until Monday.

At any rate, here are the loaded bullets.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/Sackettwannabe/Boolits/45bullets.jpg

From left to right:
Paul's 200gr, commercially cast 200gr, H&G 240gr, 250gr and the 270gr.

The loads for the 200gr are a target load of WST powder. I am looking for a light recoil competition load for plates or paper punching. Something around the 750fps area.

The load for the 240gr, which I have reported on in my "FREIGHT TRAIN" load thread on another forum, has a different powder under this bullet, which is SR4756. Guess where I got the data from! ;)

The load for the 250gr and 270gr is a replication of Paul's load for both bullets using 2400. One thing I thought was of notice. By volume the load for the SR4756 and 2400 are exactly the same. The weights are significantly different but the volume is exactly the same. It will be interesting to see how they turn out velocity wise!

Another thing to note is the substantial crimp on the 45AR bullets. I am anticipating quite a bit of recoil from these babies!

Should be a fun time. I think I need to take some pins and video of those behemoths!

Oh, yeah, one more thing of note. The 270gr as loaded wouldn't fit in a standard MTM 45ACP cartridge box! I guess I should have gotten out some of the 44Mag or 45Colt ones to put them in!

More to come!

Shiloh
09-13-2008, 06:06 PM
What powder and charge do you use for the 250 and 270??
I have been toying with a heavier slug in the S&W 625
Thanks

Shiloh