PDA

View Full Version : 94 Loading gate problem.

mallard1
09-13-2008, 02:13 PM
I gave my sil a 94 and after deer season last year he cleaned it and apparently messed with the screws on the gun. It now will not allow a cartridge to be loaded into the loading gate . It will not depress enough for a shell to enter the magazine tube. Anyone have any idea what is needed to fix this? Thanks

Scrounger
09-13-2008, 03:24 PM
I gave my sil a 94 and after deer season last year he cleaned it and apparently messed with the screws on the gun. It now will not allow a cartridge to be loaded into the loading gate . It will not depress enough for a shell to enter the magazine tube. Anyone have any idea what is needed to fix this? Thanks

With the action closed?

oneokie
09-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Sounds like the lifter is not returning to the rest position.

mallard1
09-13-2008, 05:31 PM
For all above:

The action was closed. The lifter is staying in the cartridge guide position and not lowering when the action is closed.
Any idea why this is happening and any idea how to fix without taking to a gunsmith?

Thanks

wmitty
09-13-2008, 06:36 PM
I checked my '94 and I think I might be able to help. By fully opening the action and removing the lever retaining screw the lever can be slid back and down slightly to allow it to disengage from the lifter. I took a small driver and pressed the lifter down until the loading gate is free to drop (allowing a cartride to be loaded) . I then moved the action lever back into alignment with the receiver and replaced the retaining screw. ( the lever can be completely removed from the receiver if you want but it isn't necessary and if the bolt moves out of positon the ejecter can fall out and sometimes be a pain to get back in position and allow the bolt to close). Hope this helps!

David

Scrounger
09-13-2008, 06:41 PM
Is this a Marlin or a Winchester?

mallard1
09-13-2008, 08:31 PM
This is a winchester

wmitty
09-14-2008, 01:39 PM
sorry, fellers; It finally dawned on me we were working on a M 94 Winchester:groner: