PDA

View Full Version : Lyman spartan

nagantguy
05-17-2018, 11:08 PM
Came across some equipment today and ended up with a old Lyman Spartan press, it is missing the handle and long has what I believe to be the large primer assembly does anyone know which if any other press handle is compatible with the spartan? Also where a fellow may find other priming arms and maybe even a primer catch tray? Thank you.

EDG
05-18-2018, 12:09 AM
Threads are US standard sizes. Anyone with a lathe can make a handle.

Walks
05-18-2018, 12:15 AM
I believe LYMAN style sells the complete primer arm assembly. At least I've seen them on flea-bay in new packaging.

Primer Catcher's are scarce as hen's teeth. And about as expensive.

The handles are screw in. I don't know of any other handle that would fit, as every other manufacturers use a pass through secured with a nut.

fivefang
05-18-2018, 03:24 AM
I bought a wheel -lug of the same thread & welded a portion of a lug wrench to it & topped it with a Q-ball, it works great, Fivefang

JBinMN
05-18-2018, 05:41 AM
If you need any dimensions from the handle, I have a Spar-T press (I think the handle is the same) and can take it off, measure things & pass on the measurements to you so you can have one made/make one. Or, If I find the manual( not sure if I still have it as I bought the press used.), I will look for the parts list and get the part number for you to help look for the part that way as well.

Up to you. Let me know. Just trying to help out.
:)

Semper Fi!
;)

gunarea
05-18-2018, 07:24 AM
Hey nagantguy
The Lyman Spartan is my dearest of all reloading tools. 220617
Purchased for me by my parents, it was a gift on my 14th birthday. Still in regular use as of yesterday. The handle is half inch with standard fine threads. An optional longer length handle was added during my Hi-power days. When going longer it is necessary to bolster even hardened steel rod with schedule 60 pipe and post tensioned with double grade eight nuts. The primer arms are standard fare on all but the newest Lyman presses. You will be disappointed to learn how difficult it is to locate the primer tube head.
The primer catcher trays are gone but upgrade replaceable.
220623 This is my latest design and is now twenty years in service. Although not 100% effective, it easily bests the original. The electrical box was fairly easy to cut with a Dremel and finish with a soldering iron.
You got questions about a Lyman Spartan press, go ahead, ask.
Roy

nagantguy
05-18-2018, 08:35 AM
Thank you all so much, this spartan was an old reloaders only press for his whole run,he recently got out of the game and couldn’t find the handle or any swag to go with it,I’ll put it to good use even if i don’t find the primer assembly