PDA

View Full Version : My brother had a huge stroke, prayers needed

bbogue1
05-17-2018, 10:59 PM
On Saturday the 4th my 65 yr old brother was not feeling right. EMT's took him to the hospital. No sign of stroke, BP a little high, Glucose at 180, not high for a diabetic. No history of strokes. He was not able to put words together to form a sentence and could not seem to understand what had happened. We thought about water build up in the cranial cavity since he has a history of fluid build up and does have congenital heart failure and we thought of drug interaction though no new drugs had been prescribed. CT scan proved normal. On Wed (after 2 days of denial) he finally consented to a MRI. The results showed a massive area of the left side of his brain had lost blood supply and had died. He still cannot communicate, is clearly angry and frustrated beyond words. One observer said he thought my brother (Scott is his name), was suicidal. He does not slur his words, he just does not make sense. When it is possible to guess what he's trying to say we are not sure he's able to make sense of what we're saying. He cannot write ledgeably. Right now he needs Jesus and some fervent prayer. Your prayers are needed for him and his wife. Thank you.

jmort
05-17-2018, 11:15 PM
Praying for your brother you, your family and all concerned.

lefty o
05-17-2018, 11:30 PM
sad to hear. some people can bounce back from it, but its a long hard frustrating climb.

fiberoptik
05-18-2018, 01:23 AM
Scott is praying [emoji120] for Scott. I lost my left frontal lobe in a motorcycle accident on the way to propose to my wife. I have a walnut sized dead spot there. It changed my personality 180 & made me mean for a while.
The VA said I had more damage than all the rest of the patients with frontal lobe damage. They couldn’t understand how I was the only one functional. One word answer: Jesus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adcoch1
05-18-2018, 02:35 AM
Praying...

Boaz
05-18-2018, 04:36 AM
Lord help Scott through this hard time . Please heal him and be with his family . Guide Scott and improve him , help this family draw strength from one another . Help him Lord as you are the source of all healing . Amen

daloper
05-18-2018, 06:09 AM
Father God, be with Scott and give him the healing that he needs. Be with the family and help them through this and give them the strength they need in this. We know that you can do all things and we give you the praise for all that you do. In the name of your Son and our Savior, Jesus Christ, I pray. Amen.

square butte
05-18-2018, 07:10 AM
Prayer sent up for Scott

USMC87
05-18-2018, 07:12 AM
Scott is added to our prayer list.

koehn,jim
05-18-2018, 07:47 AM
Prayer sent, my brother went thru this last July. He is getting better but it is a long hard road for all of you. Patience and love helps a lot. He will get frustrated a lot but stick with him.

Goatwhiskers
05-18-2018, 07:51 AM
Prayers of healing up for Scott, and for spiritual healing and understanding for the whole family. GW

jcren
05-18-2018, 08:23 AM
Prayers sent

GhostHawk
05-18-2018, 08:28 AM
I do not do this often. Frankly it scares the **** out of me.

"The Holy Spirit says" (The Lord is with him)
(Everyone is trying)
(But the Holy Spirit is afraid he is not going to make it)

That is what I was given. I hope it brings you peace.

Pray for him, pray out loud at his side.
Accept that living this way may not be something your loved one would choose to do.

If it were me I would be praying for release. If you truly believe, death is nothing to fear. Just a door that we will all walk through some day.

Your brother and your family will be in my prayers.

jamneg
05-18-2018, 09:02 AM
Scott and you family are added to our prayer list.

GhostHawk
05-18-2018, 09:05 AM
I just told my wife about this.

She looked at me, and calmly said "I was just told they need to pray for peace".

He is angry, frustrated and fighting inside. Nothing makes sense, nothing works and he does not understand.

It is my opinion that the Lord is unable to do much until he calms down.

So pray that he finds peace, acceptance. That he can calm enough to hear the Lord.

Whiteboard at the foot of his bed, write messages, leave them up for a bit.
Use it to establish a method of communication. He may not be able to understand that either but it is worth a shot. Try EVERYTHING. Don't give up.

Keep fighting for him, keep praying, keep trying to get through.

Praying for your family and your brother. God Loves you and him, and is trying.

Pine Baron
05-18-2018, 09:55 AM
I wish to add my voice to all the prayers given with an emphasis on Peace and calm. Amen.

smoked turkey
05-18-2018, 10:37 AM
Dear Heavenly Father. You are our creator. You have created us in your image. What you created was very good. But we have an adversary. Our enemy, Satan, is very real. He has come to steal, kill, and destroy. In the name of Jesus who came to set us free, I ask that you begin the healing process on Scott's brain. Lord, I understand that you are more concerned for his eternal soul than his temporary body. So Lord I ask that you clear the fog from Scott's mind so that he can feel the touch and love that you have for him. I pray that he finds you as Lord and savior before he checks out of this life. Amen.

OldBearHair
05-18-2018, 05:48 PM
Praying for Scott If I may I would like to share a story of healing. A twelve year old boy was kicked in the head by horse, breaking the skull with massive brain damage. After the examining the boy, the doctors said if he lived , he would be only a vegatable brain wise. The Roadrunner Food Bank of Albuquerque NM clientele consisted of many Churches. They spread the word of the tragedy to everyone and we prayed. A few months later, (I don't recall exactly how long) my wife and I were in a resturant and the family came in and sat at the table next to us. The twelve year old boy picked up the menu and ordered his food from the waiter. Tears of Joy, .....

bob208
05-18-2018, 06:02 PM
I had a stroke in feb this year. went almost blind vision is back to almost normal. I am very short tempered things don't go right they get thrown. right after I was ready to check out for good. one med they had me on side effect was thoughts of suicide. yep I had them was making plans. again wife talked me out of it. every day is a battle. finally got my sugar back under control.

I go for a eye test next week to get my license back.

buckwheatpaul
05-18-2018, 06:05 PM
Father please be with Scott as he battles the results of his stroke. Please guide the physicians and medical teams that are working with Scott. Please take his frustrations away and help Scott to regain his abilities to communicate with his family and friends. Please be with this man and his family as he heals. AMEN

Preacher Jim
05-18-2018, 06:10 PM
Lord pore your grace and healing on Scott and restore his health. Strengthen his family as they minister to him.
In Jesus name we pray
Amen

GhostHawk
05-18-2018, 08:45 PM
Still Praying.

Still hoping.

I know that almost 4 years ago my dad was in Hospital with stroke, followed by heart attack on the operating table as they went in to clean the plaque out of his right caratid artery. For two and a half days they kept him hanging in limbo under sedation. At last I convinced my brothers to convince the doctors to bring him out. He has to choose to live or die and he can't do that now.

He lived for another 3 years, made a virtually complete recovery.

Miracles happen, and the more people you have praying for it the more often they seem to happen.

Have faith.

sparkyv
05-18-2018, 09:21 PM
Prayers sent.

bbogue1
05-20-2018, 09:07 AM
Yesterday, May 19 I talked to Scott's nurse. Had a pretty good in depth discussion. Some days Scott can put together a short simple sentence or in some way make his desires known. On other days he's pretty vague and makes no sense. My Brother, Bill, has been going to see him nearly daily and confirmed what the nurse said. Scott loves Ham radio and was a police officer as his career. Since he tends to be an in charge type of person, this must be horribly hard for him. His other passion, recently given up (about 8 years ago) was riding motorcycles on long trips. In many ways he has been a mentor to my shooting and supported a few other hobbies I have. Still a wait and see situation. Thank you Jesus for being in control and the peace you have given me.

Boaz
05-20-2018, 09:14 AM
Thank you for the report . I'll continue to pray for him and all family .

Pine Baron
05-20-2018, 10:24 AM
Prayers continue for Scott.

buckwheatpaul
05-20-2018, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the report on Scott....still saying prayers for him and his family!

GhostHawk
05-20-2018, 09:43 PM
Updates are very much appreciated.

A part of me says that he has won the fight, he will pull through. Long and hard the recovery will be.
But he has the chance.

Still praying.

It is very very much encouraging when you read updates to feel that perhaps in some small way our prayers have helped. Makes it all worth while.

Peace be upon you, your brother and your family.
Patience, time is the great healer.

woodbutcher
05-20-2018, 10:35 PM
Prayers sent.In Knoxville we have a great stroke center.The Patricia Neal Center.Wishing Scott the best for a complete recovery.
Leo

bbogue1
05-23-2018, 04:34 AM
Thank you so much for your prayers. Prayers are very powerful, that is for sure. A Scott update: A care facility has agreed to care for Scott. It is not far from his home and has a good reputation. My other brother Bill and Scott's wife, Ronda, are looking for ways to resolve some legal issues since Scott can no longer care for himself nor pay his bills. We think the care facility will require some physical and occupational therapy. Good news, though. He does not seem as combative as he was a week ago and a friend received a text message from Scott, though it was not readable in the usual sense it did indicate Scott was appreciative.

I certainly can see why he would be angry and I would hope he is working to find ways to work around the issues, but, not having a relationship with Jesus means his eyes are not open to the hope Jesus provides. I, too, pray for his caretakers and that Gods will be done to bring him to see this as what it is, an evil spiritual attack, not a lapse of love from God. "Lean not on your own understanding" seems so true.

Boaz
05-23-2018, 05:53 AM
It's good news that the combativeness has lessened and being in a place that will understand the daily care needed . Prayer sent this morning .

buckwheatpaul
05-23-2018, 06:55 AM
It is good that Scott is not as angry and is making progress! I truly appreciate the updates and pray that the long term care facility can get him back to peace and comfort as well as good health. Paul

LUCKYDAWG13
05-23-2018, 07:18 AM
Prayers sent my older brother went through same thing 4 years ago He is a lot better now

GhostHawk
05-23-2018, 07:21 AM
Good news is good to hear. Thanks for the update.

USMC87
05-23-2018, 07:31 AM
Thank you for the update, We continue to pray.

bbogue1
05-24-2018, 08:28 AM
Thank you Luckydawg13 those are very encouraging words. I do believe prayer is the answer, so I thank you all for following this journey and for the continued prayers.

Prayers sent my older brother went through same thing 4 years ago He is a lot better now

Hickok
05-24-2018, 12:43 PM
Amen to all the prayers for Scott's continued recovery.

Blackwater
05-24-2018, 06:36 PM
Stroke can produce some very strange behaviors that are totally unlike what the patient normally is like. God be with Scot and the whole family. And FWIW, this is no time to give up or try to predict what tomorrow will bring. Only time can reveal that. Just go with God, and let Him make all the big decisions, and do the best you can for Scott. God bless you all.

Goatwhiskers
05-25-2018, 07:17 PM
Continueing to pray for Scott and family daily. Please keep us updated. GW

w5pv
05-28-2018, 12:09 PM
Prayers sent for full recovery

bbogue1
05-28-2018, 09:27 PM
Scott has been moved to a care facility. He seems pleased with the move and also seems to be communicating better. Is not thrilled with the food. Here is a simplified verson of what he says: If you think of a three sentence paragraph as he starts the first sentence he's doing ok, about midway through he begins to falter (inserting a word that does not belong). The second sentence starts ok but quickly dives into giberish. The third is pure confusion. Many times he will talk for several sentences before he falters, sometimes just a few sentences. We think he thinks he is talking just fine, because he was talking to a friend on his phone and the topic was getting dinner at Applebys. His friend said he would not come over and pick him up, he was in no shape to go out. That conversation took a while to get out. By thinking about his friends answers we could get a rudimentary understanding of what Scott was saying and how he is processing incoming info. Sometimes he's doing well, sometimes he's just lost it. No apparent anger unless he just can't get the word out or is struggling with getting his idea across. I think if I'd been through what he has there would be moments of anxiety and moments where it all seems impossible which would express itself in anger to one degree or another. This week he starts occupational therapy and speech therapy. He is getting better it jst isn't happening at a regular pace.

I believe the prayers are being answered, Thank you and keep it up, please.

Boaz
05-29-2018, 05:04 PM
I have been around folks that have had strokes quite a bit and his speech and behavior is 'normal' for the trauma he has undergone . Recovery is slow but with therapists and help he can improve . Still praying for him and the family . Thank you for the report !

Blackwater
05-31-2018, 06:06 PM
Stroke is a very treacherous and ornery foe. But not even it can change a man's basic nature, nor eliminate his faith. God be with your friend. Watching someone recover from a stroke is a truly inspiring thing. My dad had several. I miss him, but I'll always remember that his basic nature never really changed. God be with him and your loved ones.

bbogue1
06-01-2018, 10:27 PM
Yesterday Scott showed some signs of improvement and that the occupational and physical therapy are beginning to work. Like most days when Bill entered Scotts room and said hi, Scott greated him. Today he's not recognizing anyone when they come into the room, Bill entered his room, said Hi, how's it going. No response. Bill put his hand on Scotts leg and then Scott left his TV viewing snd looked at Bill. Not a drug induced stare no real facial tells. We don't know what happened. Initial stroke was May 4. maybe this is another one or drugs were mixed up. No anger present. Bill said it is like Scott can't hear him.

bbogue1
06-05-2018, 07:03 PM
Late last week Scott began not responding to verbal discussion. He's happy to see those who he knows when they come into his room, however, when they speak to him he acts like he's not hearing them. We are fearing he has had another stroke which has taken away his hearing. Today he has 4 appointments that may ferit this conumdrum out. Thank you for the prayers, physically he's fine as can be exibited by his healthy apetite, it is just his communication skills that are suffering.

Pine Baron
06-05-2018, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the update, bb. Prayers for Scott continue.

GhostHawk
06-05-2018, 08:53 PM
I hope I am wrong. Fighting a stroke is a bit like punching a pillow. You keep swinging haymakers and it just gives and comes back. That will wear you out. Eventually it can put you into a tail spin where you just don't care. Again I hope I am wrong.

Keep connecting, keep working for progress. Keep pointing it out when it happens. Stay positive.

Keep praying. I will.

bbogue1
06-06-2018, 05:43 PM
Loss of hearing is most likely from a bleed in the brain. Scott suffered another large stroke over the weekend. This time to the Right side. Seems to have affected eyesight as well as hearing. He's back in the hospital with a team of Drs. trying to figure out what to do. I would imagine he is pretty frightened. Please pray that he has peace and he figures out people are trying to help him. God has a plan, I have great faith; he is in control.

daloper
06-06-2018, 09:25 PM
Father God. I lift up Scott to you. Be with him and give him peace. Be with the doctors and guild them as they make decisions as how to treat this. I pray that you would lay your healing hands upon him. In the name of your Son, Jesus Christ, I pray. Amen

bbogue1
06-08-2018, 08:14 AM
Yesterday afternoon my brother, his wife, Scott's wife and I met to discuss the situation. If you can imagine someone peacefully sleeping on their back, mouth hanging open with regular breathing, a bit shallow, in a low voice muttering in his sleep, words that are not understandable you will have a picture of Scott's current state. The reason for the meeting was the doctors want to put a feeding tube in since he has not eaten since before the latest stroke on Saturday. They found he cannot swallow, thus is incapable of feeding himself. He does have a Do Not Resusitate (DNR) which clearly says he wants hydration (through IV) but no sustinance. The decision to allow the feeding tube must be made then delivered to the docs today. As a family we agreed to follow Scott's wishes and not allow the feeding tube. We discussed hospice and moving him to a care facility or back home.

This is hard to type. Scott is pretty much at peace, still occasionally asking us to help him. He cannot hear. is nearly blind in one eye with very limited vision in the other primarily due to his diabetes. He cannot make any kind of sentence and is unable to eat or drink. Somewhere around 3/4 of his brain is dead from lack of blood due to the strokes.

As a retired policeman, an avid ham radio operator and one who loved cruising on his motorcycles this is a condition I certainly did not expect. The decisions are easy based on his desires and condition, but, so, so hard. There is a calmness within the family, that, to me, is evidence of God's hand.

In December Scott and I met at the Kansas City airport and spent a wonderful week together touring the state of Kansas, we talked of God and Jesus and I told him about Paul and how Paul never met Jesus before the cross, yet became the author of much of the new testament. Based upon his past I elected not to ask about his relationship with Jesus, thinking I would have more time. Big mistake. Would you Please continue praying for Scott, the family and the professionals around him.

Pine Baron
06-08-2018, 08:20 AM
May God continue to work His will with you and your family. Praying for peace and comfort, in Jesus name. Amen

bbogue1
06-08-2018, 09:36 PM
Today brought news. Scott cannot swallow, therefore cannot take certain medicines like his blood pressure med. This puts him at risk for another stroke. He is fragile enough that he will not survive should he have one. The only thing the hospital can do is to keep him comfortable. I'm going there tomorrow so I should see him sometime tomorrow evening. I know he is most likely in the active death stage of life, but, I need to be there. I am going to try something quite creative. Since he's been a ham operator since the days when much contact was through morris code I am going to tap on his head in code to see if there is any reaction. I know he cannot hear or, for all practicle purposes, he can't see, however I do think he can feel still. We'll see. If nothing else just to say Love U and goodby. Tears in my eyes, lump in my throat right now.

God is good and mercyful. Isaiah 43:2

buckwheatpaul
06-08-2018, 10:24 PM
BB thanks for the posts on Scott. I am truly sorry for his condition and will continue to pray for Scott .....

Father, I know we are asking for comfort and peace and healing for Scott. I am praying that You comfort him and heal him if it is Your will. Please be merciful to Scott. AMEN

popper
06-08-2018, 11:13 PM
Peace and prayers for you and family. Stroke typically prevents swallowing but meds can be given other ways. When dad was in his last hours I found gentle temple massage would calm him enough to stop the monitor from going off.

Boaz
06-09-2018, 05:10 AM
I am praying for Scott , you and your family . Thank you for posting his condition and needs .

GhostHawk
06-09-2018, 07:19 AM
Still praying. My heart hurts for you and your family.

Preacher Jim
06-11-2018, 10:14 AM
I am praying for you all is this time.

WRideout
06-11-2018, 07:52 PM
My stepfather was in a nursing home in TX following a stroke. The doctor convinced my mother that he needed a feeding tube, which sustained his life for three years, but he had no quality of life. I believe you have done the right thing. Facing the loss of a loved one is about the hardest thing there is. Jesus is with Scott, whether or not you know it. Peace of Christ be with you all.

Wayne

OldBearHair
06-11-2018, 11:53 PM
my Father had a massive stroke aged 78 in Oklahoma and fell in the river and an old friend pulled him out. I was back with him from NMex. it was the fifth month. He had a feeding tube then it couldn't be installed anymore. I was in deep anguish, needing to get back to work or stay with my Father. I was praying fervently when I got the small still voice saying to not worry he is already mine...My cousin was his nurse. He died a few days later..

jmort
06-12-2018, 12:00 AM
Praying for all concerned

lightload
06-12-2018, 02:18 AM
My beloved 77 year old brother died in a nursing home last week. His death was a gift from God. God permitted his soul to escaped a worn out body wracked with pain. God freed him from indignity. My wonderful Mother spent years in a nursing home with advanced dementia. She did not know the world she was in and could only lie there and stare at the ceiling. He freed her from suffering, and an angel went home. There are many things worse than death. In the case of my brother and Mother, God showed them mercy by allowing them to join Him.

You, friend, are in my prayers.

bbogue1
06-14-2018, 02:16 PM
Take a look at Scott's Bogues obituary at newtacomacemetary.com looks so nice. Still proud of him

Boaz
06-14-2018, 06:40 PM
Praying for all in this situation . I know it's a hard time for all who love Scott .

I copied the obituary , a very nice write up .

Scott Bogue was born January 29, 1953 in Tacoma to Bertram and Ileta Bogue. He passed peacefully on June 10, 2018. In his last days Scott was surrounded by family and friends who loved and cared for him. He is preceded in death by his parents. Scott is survived by Ronda Heim, Krystal Lane, Karissa (Michael) Mango, Jayden Lane, Bradley (Donna) Bogue, Bill (Renee) Bogue and many nieces, nephews and cousins.

bbogue1
06-15-2018, 10:17 AM
Scott, being a member of ARRL (Ammature Radio Relay League) specialized in Morris Code. Too late in his declining health I found a Morris Code translator which allowed me to put in what I wanted to say then I could choose to output by sound, light or vibration. I was hoping that he could understand, but, with his hearing gone putting it behind his ear on the bone and selecting vibrate he gave no sign he comprehended the message.

bbogue1
06-15-2018, 10:23 AM
My beloved 77 year old brother died in a nursing home last week. His death was a gift from God. God permitted his soul to escaped a worn out body wracked with pain. God freed him from indignity. My wonderful Mother spent years in a nursing home with advanced dementia. She did not know the world she was in and could only lie there and stare at the ceiling. He freed her from suffering, and an angel went home. There are many things worse than death. In the case of my brother and Mother, God showed them mercy by allowing them to join Him.

You, friend, are in my prayers.

God is merciful, I sometimes thank him for keeping me safe and not allowing me to see what could have been. So sorry for your losses .