PDA

View Full Version : LLA Beeswax Mix Formula ?

cabezaverde
09-13-2008, 09:46 AM
I have a bunch of LLA bottles, and have been thinking about mixing it with bees wax for lube. Does anyone have a formula and method? I know NRA formula is 50/50, but I don't know if it is the same alox.

Any experience or opinions on this?

dwtim
09-13-2008, 11:00 AM
So far, I have been unable to do this with short term heat application. It looks good while the solution is hot, but the Alox settles as it cools. Next method is pan heating and stirring.

Takes forever for the mineral spirits to get out of the LLA, though.

dromia
09-13-2008, 11:50 AM
The NRA 50/50 stick lube mix uses a different form of Alox, called Alox 350, from the Liquid stuff, it merges much better with the beeswax to give a stick lube.

Lars at white Label Lubes sells both types of Alox.

dwtim
09-13-2008, 02:00 PM
What is the type of Alox in Alox 350? Does anyone know its application? Lubrizol doesn't list a description. Alox 606 is a "rust preventative" and a hard "calcium soap".

dromia
09-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Its like a soft grease.

I'm sure an email to Glen Larsen at LsStuff/White Label Lubes will get you chapter and verse.

lead_her_fly
09-13-2008, 05:27 PM
I use the White Label Liquid Xlox 50/50 with beeswax by volume melted. I have a hillbilly double boiler, a pot of water with a metal coffee can floating in it and melt the wax in it. Then I "nuke" some Xlox and get the same volume of each and pour it in the coffee can. Then I mix it while the water is still boiling for several minutes. Turn the fire off, still stirring for several minutes. When I feel the notion I pour it into my molds and let it cool. Getting it out of the molds is a pain but I'm working on a better way.

Using this has been very good and I drive some of my H&G #503 to 1800fps from a Handi-Rifle. Having the big square grease groove is a help, that's for sure!

I bought 5 quarts seeing that is how it comes cheapest. I have yet to use more than one quart.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/Sackettwannabe/Boolits/PHOT0032.jpg

AzShooter
09-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Try some PAM cooking spray in your moulds and the lube should release much easier.

dwtim
09-13-2008, 11:17 PM
Okay, I have some LLA, but not enough to mix as much as Lead_Her_Fly. I made an oiled beeswax / paraffin mix, then slowly added a bottle of LLA while stirring. I heated to a measured 250 d. F. (I get smoking if I go higher.) I'm doing this in a cast iron skillet on a hot plate.

It seems that constant heat was the trick. The solution had even color now, all the way to the bottom. It has a reddish tint, and the surface no longer has that dull wax look. My whole house smells like mineral spirits.

lead_her_fly
09-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Guess I'm weird. I like the smell of Alox or Xlox or whatever you choose to call it! ;)

Here are some pictures of my lab. (And yes, when I'm done I clean up the stove so the little woman doesn't have a fit!)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/Sackettwannabe/50_50_Xlox_paraffin_cropped.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/Sackettwannabe/lube_molds.jpg

She is weird too cause she likes the smell as well!