PDA

View Full Version : Odd range pickup

beezapilot
05-17-2018, 01:14 PM
Picked up a bunch of 9mm cases...they are ridged on the INSIDE of the case- the step is solid all the way to the bottom of the case... 1- greatly reducing case capacity, higher pressure less powder???? 2- No way to seat the bullet too far in the case, nor will it "walk back" due to recoil... still a bit odd... sorry for the bad photo, will try again with another camera if there is interest... thought it might be interesting....

high standard 40
05-17-2018, 01:32 PM
Probably from a paint marking training round for LEO training, live fire exercises.

shortlegs
05-17-2018, 01:32 PM
I think that is a simunition round. the rim may telescope out from the case body if you twist and pull on it. I found some of the same cases in a bucket of brass from my local sheriffs dept range recently.

billyb
05-17-2018, 01:38 PM
FN head stamp? I find quite a few of these in our indoor pistol range. They end up in the scrap bucket. These have been discussed on here before and some say they reload them. the shelf so the theory goes prevents bullet set back.

JBinMN
05-17-2018, 01:38 PM
I thought Magtech made some 9mm that were like this as well.
Headstamp?

Pawpaw757
05-17-2018, 01:39 PM
I come across them from time to time and when I do, I crush em and toss em

beezapilot
05-17-2018, 01:43 PM
MAXXTech headstamp.

JimB..
05-17-2018, 01:45 PM
Yes, that is maxxtech, it is not simunition or anything else interesting. I scrap it all, as do most.

There are a few other headstamps that have similar construction, but none I’ve seen are as pronounced as maxxtech.

JBinMN
05-17-2018, 01:50 PM
Well, I was close... LOL Magtech... Maxxtech
:D

popper
05-17-2018, 03:24 PM
Actually it is non-tapered-wall brass. Works fine if you just seat to the ridge. At least it's not the Alum. junk stuff.

Hamish
05-17-2018, 08:49 PM
The step is to prevent set back,,,,

sparkyv
05-17-2018, 08:52 PM
I would have to take into account the reduced case capacity if I were to reload these. For as readily available 9mm brass is, I would toss it into the recycle bucket.

Der Gebirgsjager
05-17-2018, 08:59 PM
Very interesting. I would think that these would be fairly expensive, since they involve much more brass than a regular cartridge and must cost more to make.

Rattlesnake Charlie
05-17-2018, 09:09 PM
I've found several of these. Some casings are now made of stainless steel. Some are two-part. That inner piece sure keeps a bullet from being pushed deeper into the case. I think we will see more changes to cartridge casings. I do not reload these as the volume is WAY reduced. And, no data is available. I treat them same as steel and aluminum cases. Road gravel.

Bigslug
05-18-2018, 09:09 AM
I have to wonder about the "WHY" of that. Sure, you have an economy of powder in that you can use less to get the same chamber pressure, but you get that economy by using more brass, which I'm pretty sure is going to cost more than a grain or two of nitrocellulose.

I also have to wonder about a load workup for that. Sure, there's a smaller chamber, which would give higher initial pressures for a given charge, but then that gas starts expanding into the same old bore, and that chamber becomes a constantly shrinking percentage of the total volume. Hrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmm. . .

Irritating in the same way that small-primer .45 brass is irritating - non-standard garbage getting mixed into a century-old supply stream.[smilie=b:

JimB..
05-18-2018, 10:28 AM
I assume that the case is cheaper to produce. Maybe more brass, but less machining? Intend to cut one apart to see exactly how it is assembled.

high standard 40
05-18-2018, 12:12 PM
Here is a link to another forum that shows a photo of a sectioned case.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/reloads/234658-maxxtech-brass.html

JimB..
05-18-2018, 12:36 PM
Here is a link to another forum that shows a photo of a sectioned case.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/reloads/234658-maxxtech-brass.html

Thanks

EDG
05-21-2018, 07:29 AM
From the draft used on the tooling I would guess those cases formed by impact extrusion.
The case blank is warmed and smashed by the tool. The metal flows upward to form the case wall.

lightman
05-21-2018, 09:02 AM
With the proper precautions those cases should reload and shoot ok. But as plentiful as 9mm brass is I would probably scrap them. You can find some interesting stuff mixed up in range brass!

bruce drake
05-21-2018, 10:11 AM
more brass by weight for the scrap recycle bucket. I'm not interested in trying to develop specific load data for that type of cartridge when standard 9x19 brass cases are all over the place.

9.3X62AL
05-21-2018, 12:09 PM
Irritating in the same way that small-primer .45 brass is irritating - non-standard garbage getting mixed into a century-old supply stream.[smilie=b:

Good summation of my view, Erik. Some of these hobby-related "innovations" just leave me shaking my head. 9mm brass is already dimensionally-poetic enough in its usual form, this sort of departure is just annoying.

fatelk
05-21-2018, 12:46 PM
I use these cases for a specific purpose. I trim them down to make 9x18 Makarov brass. With tapered 9mm brass, sometimes it seems I’d get more “bullet bulge” than I wanted. I was scrapping this stepped brass anyhow so I trimmed some and found a moderate 9x18 load that works great in them.

Another advantage is I can sort my 9x18 from 9x19 easier. I just set it all up on the table a pick out the stepped ones. The downside is that it seems tougher or something, harder to trim.

OTShooter
05-21-2018, 04:55 PM
I think the main purpose is to prevent any setback of the bullet. So instead of a cannelure rolled into the case (pretty commonly found in US-made 9mm brass), they went an entirely different route.

I don't care for these cases. Their decreased capacity means they have to be segregated. I just set them aside. If I wind up with enough of them, I'll probably make a batch of dummy rounds with them - those bullets aren't going to set back at all!

yarro
05-24-2018, 01:55 PM
I toss those in the scrap bucket. There are some other brands with a fine line in the case to prevent set back that don't matter as long as I am not loading 147 grain bullets for the suppressed SMG. I sort all my cases by headstamp and gauge all loaded rounds so not too much worry about for me.

-yarro

muta4warrior
05-28-2018, 12:17 AM
I reloaded some of these by accident when they first hit the market couple years ago, biggest problem I had with them was case separation after just one reloading.. They separated right at the "wall", now I seperate and toss them all in the scrap bucket.

ThomR
06-10-2018, 09:29 PM
I ordered a thousand 9mm brass several months ago and found a couple of those. I never bothered to try to reload them.
I just picked up 18 pounds of brass from an indoor range that was 70% 9mm brass. With all that I really have no desire to mess with anything out of the ordinary.