PDA

View Full Version : A newbie needs help

Abenaki
09-12-2008, 05:55 PM
I'm a long time lurker....first time poster.

I have been casting bullets for about 30 years. but all of this has been done with calibers like 357 mag and 41 mag. I am now starting to cast for the 45 acp.

This is my problem. I am using a Lee mold. It is a 452 diameter, 228 grain, 1 ogive radius, double mould.

The problem that I am having is with seating depth. I am seating it at 1.148.
This looks awfull deep! But it fits and funtions manualy in my kimber.

I have not loaded any with powder.... I am just trying to find a seating depth.

Every thing that I have loaded before for this pistol, has been Winchester fmj.
Seated at 1.260.

My questions are thus.

1. Is this mould meant for this caliber (45 acp).
2. Is this too deep of a seating depth?
3. Dose anyone on this board use this mould? If so, what is the oal of your rounds.
4. If this mould is not gonna work, can you suggest another Lee mould that would.

Thanks
Abenaki

35remington
09-12-2008, 07:03 PM
Is this mould meant for the caliber? (The Lee 228-1R).

Yes, kinda, but it produces a round with nonstandard length - it really doesn't duplicate ball's OAL. I can go to about 1.220" with mine. See if you can do the same and still have the round headspace within spec. Check the loaded round in your barrel, removed from the gun.

Is it too deep? I would seat it more shallowly if possible - the 1911 was really designed for rounds between 1.20-1.270" or so. Much shorter requires early release magazines that arguably diminish reliability, since they have features designed to feed short rounds that lose some of the controlled round feed characteristics of the 1911. You really cannot load longer than 1.220" because the round starts to headspace on the bullet excessively long and the rear of the round sticks out beyond the barrel hood, preventing the gun from going into battery.

It should work, or has a better chance at working in a variety of guns/magazines at 1.220" if you can manage it. If that's a little too long, seat at the longest OAL you can manage. Longer is better in the 1911, within reason. Your current OAL of 1.148 is rather too short, really.

The Lee TL 230-2R (tumble lube 2 ogive radius) is a more faithful copy of ball or FMJ 230 grain bullets and will result in a round of the correct shape and OAL.

Many guns will feed the 228-1R reliably, so give it a go for a number of rounds before you decide to switch. I'd definitely lengthen it no matter what magazines you are currently using.

Abenaki
09-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Thank you 35remington.

My first love is flintlocks, and after that I like Ruger Blackhawks. So the 45 acp in the 1911 is a whole new ball game for me.

I did take the barrel out of the fire arm and used it to check my dummy round. I am gonna order the mould that you suggested....and I will keep playing with the one I have now.
If I can't get it to work, I'll use it on something else.

Again, thanks for your help!
Abenaki

Bigjohn
09-13-2008, 03:14 AM
Before our Government of the time decided we the shooters couldn't be trusted with anything larger than .38 cal., I was casting and loading this boolit for my Colt.

It was basically a Govt. Model Series 80 with minor work on the feed ramp. I seated just short of the Boolit being engraved by the rifling. Never failed.

John.

imashooter2
09-13-2008, 08:47 AM
I use the 452-228-1R. I load to 1.255 OAL and they feed perfectly in both a Colt and Kimber 1911. My 625 likes them too...

dromia
09-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Welcome to Cast Boolits Abenaki. :drinks:

dubber123
09-14-2008, 07:41 AM
I have shot close to 20,000 of these in my 1911, with excellent reliability. I seat just short of engraving the rifling. I have never measured OAL.

wiljen
09-14-2008, 08:44 AM
First off, a big welcome to the board!

2nd before you rush off and buy another mold, consider the fact that there are many good molds for the 45 acp and that they change hands here nearly constantly.

Many of us have traded or sent people bullets to try before they buy a stack of molds. I'll make the offer of sending you some of Lyman's 452374 or lee's 230-TL-RN in 230gr as well as a couple others I have on the shelf if you'd like to try em out first before spending your $ on a mold.

You might wanna read through this thread:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=33903&highlight=45acp

Then post a WTB or check the swappin&Sellin posts to see what is currently up for grabs.