PDA

View Full Version : Illinois is being invaded

Thumbcocker
05-11-2018, 08:20 AM
Saw a road killed armidillo on I57 just south of the trail of tears rest area yesterday.

Hamish
05-11-2018, 08:37 AM
Yup, we've had then in Williamson County for a few years.

The thing of it is, they had to have been carried here by the rivers, and then the have to find each other,,,,,,.

redhawk0
05-11-2018, 08:53 AM
I didn't know they could survive in cold weather conditions...I guess you learn something new everyday.

redhawk

Thundarstick
05-11-2018, 08:56 AM
Ya, it sure is funny they tried to tell us here in Tennessee, it just gets to cold for them in the winter and they won't be able to survive. I remember thinking, "funny how I've seen plenty of them North of the Missouri river in Missouri!", and they have colder winners than we do!

Boaz
05-11-2018, 09:05 AM
Everything moves around , seen three porcupines ran over on the road here in north Texas where I live in the last couple of years . I'm 66 years old and never seen a porcupine till now . LOL , last year my daughter and me got out of the truck just to look at a dead one on the road .

redhawk0
05-11-2018, 09:07 AM
This actually shows that they could be as far as where I live in the NorthEast. Howda thunk there could be armadillos in MA.

https://armadillo-online.org/expansion.html

redhawk

RU shooter
05-11-2018, 09:20 AM
This actually shows that they could be as far as where I live in the NorthEast. Howda thunk there could be armadillos in MA.

https://armadillo-online.org/expansion.html

redhawk
Not to worry Redhawk we'll hold the line at the mason dixon and drive them armored possum back south were they belong ! Never seen one here or ever heard of one in Pa yet .

JBinMN
05-11-2018, 11:30 AM
They have been here in MN for some time. Like over a decade+ anyway. Never used to have them before that, or the population was so small it was not noticeable.

I can assure ya that at least here in MN, Winter & cold weather doesn't keep them away or prevent them from staying over year round.

ETA: See post #10. I made a mistake & was thinking "Opossum/'Possum" & not Armadillos...

Both being runty little round creatures with pointy tails that I consider "vermin". My mistake...

trapper9260
05-11-2018, 11:41 AM
They have been here in MN for some time. Like over a decade+ anyway. Never used to have them before that, or the population was so small it was not noticeable.

I can assure ya that at least here in MN, Winter & cold weather doesn't keep them away or prevent them from staying over year round.

This the first I hear they where this far north. I live in northeast Iowa.

JBinMN
05-11-2018, 11:52 AM
OOOps. I was thinking about Possum, not armadillos.. My mistake..
:(

I edited the post you quoted & admitted my mistake there as well...

Alan in Vermont
05-11-2018, 11:56 AM
Global warming!

Hickory
05-11-2018, 12:05 PM
Illegal aliens of the animal world.

redhawk0
05-11-2018, 12:07 PM
Not to worry Redhawk we'll hold the line at the mason dixon and drive them armored possum back south were they belong ! Never seen one here or ever heard of one in Pa yet .

Yup me either. I grew up there...still come back to hunt deer every year. (Bloomsburg and/or Harrisburg areas) I think maybe we should build a wall :)

redhawk

Lead pot
05-11-2018, 12:15 PM
We have cougars and black bears here in NW Illinois. I cant figure out why in the world they want out move here when I want to get away from here.

RU shooter
05-11-2018, 12:31 PM
Yup me either. I grew up there...still come back to hunt deer every year. (Bloomsburg and/or Harrisburg areas) I think maybe we should build a wall :)

redhawk
I like that wall idea !

Thumbcocker
05-11-2018, 12:39 PM
As long as they stay out of the garden and away from my building foundations we can keep a live and let live relationship.

Biggin
05-11-2018, 06:00 PM
I callem "possum on the half-shell!!"

Texas by God
05-11-2018, 08:17 PM
As long as they stay out of the garden and away from my building foundations we can keep a live and let live relationship.
They won't. They love grubworms. Be careful with their blood if you shoot them. They contain 5 gallons of it! Some say they carry leprosy- I never caught it from catching them as a kid though. You must hold them high on the side or by the root of the tail unless you want your skin clawed off. Send them all back to Texas and we'll send pigs to you!
Boaz- porcupines are being seen more often around Brownwood/ Rising Star according to kin there.

Hickory
05-12-2018, 07:22 AM
We have cougars and black bears here in NW Illinois. I cant figure out why in the world they want to move here when I want to get away from here.

They have no concept of taxes & corrupt politics.

LUCKYDAWG13
05-12-2018, 07:28 AM
I found a dead one on the road in Waukegan IL about 20 years ago I'm just waiting for the pig's to move up

jsizemore
05-12-2018, 08:37 AM
We'll take the armadillos if ya'll take back the Yankees.

starnbar
05-12-2018, 08:50 AM
Armadillos are known for carrying the disease of leprosy so when you deal with them wash your hands and anything you handle them with after you are finished.

Hogdaddy
05-12-2018, 09:21 AM
We'll take the armadillos if ya'll take back the Yankees.

^^^^^ "I'll second that" ^^^^^^^^ Ha ha ; ) :kidding:
H/D

Walks
06-28-2018, 02:03 PM
Cougars and Black Bears feel safe in Illinois, fewer guns due to RESTRICTIVE Gun Laws.

Preacher Jim
06-28-2018, 03:04 PM
Possums on a half shell are all over Missouri been here several years.
To those who don't know that's the other name for the armadilas

Hossfly
06-28-2018, 03:05 PM
I ran over one the other day and stopped and backed up to run over it again just to make sure it was dead.

chutesnreloads
06-28-2018, 03:51 PM
My 83 year dad tells me he never saw them in Texas when he was a boy

Silvercreek Farmer
06-28-2018, 03:51 PM
Saw lots of dead ones on the road last time I was near Charleston. Lots of groundhogs in our area now as well. Never saw either growing up.

Smoke4320
06-28-2018, 03:58 PM
I have been told by some no so well ejdumacted that 1/4 lb of tannerite taped to the shell makes for a great time ..
They say let em get off a piece first ..

Nueces
06-28-2018, 04:17 PM
So that's where the little buggers went. We used to be overrun with 'dillos here in central Texas, but they are much more rare now. However, I've seen beaver on a lake in Burnet County (about 45 miles NW of Austin) and a neighbor's dogs got thoroughly quilled by a porcupine last week. Now and then, a lion takes a neighbor's goat. I used to ignore claims of lion hereabouts, but we have tracks and pictures. So when a friend solemnly claims to have seen a wolf out east of Austin, I'm not willing to disbelieve automatically.

Hogtamer
06-28-2018, 04:26 PM
We had an explosion of them 8-10 yrs ago. They must breed like rabbits. But like so many things I think the coyotes like 'em and you just see them occasionally now, mostly dead in the road when you do. And they are mostly nocturnal now.

Jniedbalski
06-28-2018, 06:10 PM
I have seen them in se Missouri for about 15 years. I moved to Houston tx in 1990 and moved back to Missouri in 92. It wasn’t long after I moved back that I seen one on the road dead. I had to back up to see if it was really a armidilo. I have never seen one before untill I moved to porter tx.

RogerDat
06-28-2018, 06:36 PM
Well possum is the other, other white meat so maybe armadillo is a variation on that?

ThomR
06-29-2018, 01:50 AM
I've spent most of my life in and around Richland county IL and have never seen an armadillo.

lightman
06-29-2018, 08:24 AM
We see them in the pasture next to the deer club on sunny afternoons during winter. They get out on the shallow hillside grubbing. Sometimes 6 or 8 of them. Makes for a fun time, what with 5 or 6 guys shooting at them with 308's and '06's! They sound like a mob coming through the woods when your sitting on a stand! And they don't taste bad either!

Nueces
06-29-2018, 09:35 AM
They are so low to the ground that they sound like a ship plowing through a sea of leaves, when you are sitting quietly.

Y'all be aware that they are a known carrier of leprosy, so take care in handling them. If you pick one up, best to use the tail as a handle, so they piss themselves rather than you!

Driver33
06-29-2018, 12:43 PM
I always heard them called hard shelled possums