PDA

View Full Version : Lube???

poppy42
05-10-2018, 08:20 PM
Ok guys here’s the scenario we’re a little Furniture poor ( heck who am I kidding I’m poor period ha ha ha that’s a story that’s been told an ain’t worth repeating) anyway the wife scored a dresser from good Will thrift store today. The draw glides need a little lube( I know y’all though this post was about Boolit lube ha ha fooled ya) anyway my question is straight beeswax or a little of that wonder lube Bens Red? The glides are metal on wood. Your opinions/suggestions would be welcome.

CraigOK
05-10-2018, 08:25 PM
Straight beeswax should work great, but if all I had was lube I might give it a whirl one one drawer

poppy42
05-10-2018, 08:56 PM
Heck I’ve been lubing my .06 cases with bens red for a while with great results! Never had a stuck case! I figured a little might work pretty good.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-10-2018, 11:15 PM
I use candle wax for drawers. All mine are wood on wood.

toallmy
05-10-2018, 11:34 PM
Candle wax on rain gear zippers really helps ,

Bazoo
05-10-2018, 11:49 PM
Beeswax will work to satisfaction. Also, regular bar soap will work well.

Rcmaveric
05-11-2018, 01:49 AM
I been JPW as case sizing lube. I started lubing things around the house with 50/50 beeswax and vasaline. I made some to test with pistals. Didn't work for me and now i tube of chapstick and hand lotion.

Lloyd Smale
05-11-2018, 07:38 AM
might be a way to use up all the little bottles of alox ive got laying around.
Ok guys here’s the scenario we’re a little Furniture poor ( heck who am I kidding I’m poor period ha ha ha that’s a story that’s been told an ain’t worth repeating) anyway the wife scored a dresser from good Will thrift store today. The draw glides need a little lube( I know y’all though this post was about Boolit lube ha ha fooled ya) anyway my question is straight beeswax or a little of that wonder lube Bens Red? The glides are metal on wood. Your opinions/suggestions would be welcome.

BrassMagnet
05-11-2018, 08:49 AM

Alox is supposed to be toxic.
You breathe a lot during the night. It is not healthy to breathe in fumes forever. Even low levels over long periods of time can cause big problems, such as cancer.
I would stick to more natural and benign products such as soap or wax, and I would lean towards the wax.

Wayne Smith
05-11-2018, 08:56 AM
Beeswax is the traditional lube.

poppy42
05-11-2018, 09:42 AM
Alox kinda dries out gets sticky. I Seriously doubt it would make good lube for a dresser drawer glides

Lloyd Smale
05-11-2018, 02:23 PM
I was joking guys

DocSavage
05-11-2018, 02:35 PM
I was told candle wax at some point for drawers in a bureau but bees wax should work as well.

poppy42
05-12-2018, 12:16 AM
Well guys Bens Red stricks again! It seems to be an excellent lube for dresser glides! At least it is when it comes to an inexpensive dresser with sheet metal on wood glides! I put a little on, slid the draw in, slid it in an out a couple times and asked my wife to try it out. She gave the empty draw a little pull and it almost worked to good. She expected some resistance and there was none. The drawer slid out the dresser! My wife, expecting some resistance, ( when we brought it home you couldn’t hardly move the draws) found herself halfway across the room with an empty dresser drawer in her hands! I wish I had my camera lol. Anyway thanks Ben! Every day I find another use for your boolet lube! Maybe someone should start a topic so we can list alternate uses for Ben’s red

richhodg66
05-12-2018, 09:37 AM
Alox is supposed to be toxic.
You breathe a lot during the night. It is not healthy to breathe in fumes forever. Even low levels over long periods of time can cause big problems, such as cancer.
I would stick to more natural and benign products such as soap or wax, and I would lean towards the wax.

Sorry to hijack a thread, but Ron, is there some data out there about Alox toxicity? Honest question, we get wrapped around the axle on lead exposure which doesn't worry me much but I seem to handle an awful lot of bullet lube. Of course, it seems everything anybody handles anymore is harmful somehow.

By the way, I've always heard of using ordinary candle wax for such thing, just rub an old candle on the gliding surfaces and see how that work.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-12-2018, 11:54 AM
Sorry to hijack a thread, but Ron, is there some data out there about Alox toxicity? Honest question, we get wrapped around the axle on lead exposure which doesn't worry me much but I seem to handle an awful lot of bullet lube. Of course, it seems everything anybody handles anymore is harmful somehow.

By the way, I've always heard of using ordinary candle wax for such thing, just rub an old candle on the gliding surfaces and see how that work.

LEE liquid alox MSDS

https://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/90177.pdf

GHS Hazards:
Flammable liquids Category 4
Aspiration hazard Category 1

Aspiration toxicity May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways.