PDA

View Full Version : SP101 rear sight

megasupermagnum
05-10-2018, 02:44 PM
I am looking to install a rear sight onto my 3" SP101, and am looking for recommendations from people who have had it done. I've tried calling, but it doesn't seem like anyone listed online will answer the phone. I'm not looking for the cheapest job, but it needs to be reasonable, $150 or so.

Petrol & Powder
05-10-2018, 07:36 PM
I can't recommend any specific gunsmith but on a fixed sighted SP101 it usually involves cutting a shallow dovetail in the top strap. Most competent gunsmiths can handle that with a milling machine. A taller front sight may be required.

megasupermagnum
05-10-2018, 07:54 PM
I've been looking into something like having the J frame rear sight installed. That seems to be the most straight forward, simple, and effective way. For some reason there does not seem to be any pictures of an sp101 with one installed. If I could see one, I'd know right away if I'd like it or not. Those Novak sight models are the best I've seen, Ruger should go to those on all 2.25" and 3.1" Sp101 models. I can shoot my LCR better than this sp101, they would have been better off with not even cutting the frame, and adding a bead for a front sight. I'll call some local gunsmiths and see what they can do.

Gus Youmans
05-10-2018, 09:18 PM
I corresponded with Bayside Custom Gunworks about putting a J-frame rear sight on an SP-101 several years ago and they said they could do the job, I never got it done, so I can't comment on the quality of the work. You can google them to get their contact info.

Gus Youmans

megasupermagnum
05-11-2018, 12:15 PM
I corresponded with Bayside Custom Gunworks about putting a J-frame rear sight on an SP-101 several years ago and they said they could do the job, I never got it done, so I can't comment on the quality of the work. You can google them to get their contact info.

Gus Youmans

Did you end up finding another solution, selling it, or just living with the factory groove?

Gus Youmans
05-11-2018, 10:12 PM
The gun is one of the early .32 H&R Magnum's that came with a windage adjustable rear sight but the elevation was off by a couple of inches at 25 yards with bullets from my other molds. I had Accurate molds design a 120 grain mold that shot to the sights, so I did not pursue the installation of a J-frame rear sight.,

I still have the gun but have not shot it in a couple of years.

Gus Youmans

megasupermagnum
05-12-2018, 01:07 AM
That bullet wouldn't happen to be the 31-120K, would it? I love that bullet.

My windage is pretty close, but it shoots low, something like 12" at 25 yards. I could file off the front sight, but there's more to it. Besides being slow to see the "sights", the POI changes. The day I decided I need a real set of sights, I was shooting, and it got cloudy, the POI changed over 6" from sunny to cloudy conditions.

I managed to get a hold of 2 gunsmiths. One said he was not set up to do the job. E. Aurthur Brown said they could most likely do it, but would need to see the gun and sight to know for sure. I've ordered a J frame rear sight, and will drive out there in the next week or two.

Dale53
05-12-2018, 10:52 PM
I am a .32 fan. I bought a Ruger SP101 in .32 Magnum. As you know, the rear sight was windage only and I couldn’t get the sights zero’d but I really liked the piece. I took it to my pistolsmith and had a red dot sight installed. My pistolsmith thought I had lost my mind. However, that red dot sight allowed me to zero the revolver perfectly (and easily) and that little SP 101, became a VERY accurate and useful revolver.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesPistolsRevolvers5Selects-0261.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/Dale53/media/DalesPistolsRevolvers5Selects-0261.jpg.html)

Dale53

megasupermagnum
05-13-2018, 12:21 AM
I'm sure that it would be, but I can't see myself carrying that every day in a holster.:D

BigboreShooter
05-13-2018, 06:40 AM
I had a 3"" 101 in 357.Same problem! When Ruger brought out the 4" with adjustable sight,I. I bought one and sold my 3" model. It might be cheaper to go that route.

BigboreShooter

megasupermagnum
05-13-2018, 11:52 AM
Buying the 4.2" model is the cheap way to go, but it won't work for me. I carry IWB, about 7:30 (left hand), and the 4.2" barrel is just a little too long, and digs in, I tried it. Plus you can see the bottom of the holster as you walk, and especially when you bend over. The 3.1" barrel is absolutely perfect, I can even carry it OWB with out having to resort to weird clothes to conceal, although I only open carry with OWB.

Gus Youmans
05-14-2018, 01:59 PM
megasupermagnum,

The mold that Accurate designed for me was the 31-120S. The gun would not chamber cast bullets with wide front driving bands and I wanted a bullet with a wide meplate, so he modified an existing design so it had a front driving band only 40 thousandths wide.

The 31-120S is a very good bullet and but my favorite mold is the RCBS 98 grain SWC/RNFP and its NOE clone, so that is what I cast most of the time. All my other .32s have adjustable sights and shoot the RCBS bullet better than any other mold I have, so I don't cast the 31-120S very often.

Gus Youmans

Kraschenbirn
05-15-2018, 11:38 AM
Dropped off one of my Colts at TK Custom this morning and, while I was there, put your question to Tom. His advice: swap the SP101 for a 3" M60 Smith 'cause that would likely be less expensive than installing an adjustable S&W rear...which would require a new front sight, too. Machine work (off-the-cuff estimate) would be around $165 plus cost of the new rear sight. No estimate on replacing front sight because that would depend upon availability of a higher factory (Ruger) blade; if not, he'd have to modify something else or mill one from scratch.

Bill

megasupermagnum
05-15-2018, 02:18 PM
Unfortunately you can't get a Smith and Wesson in 327 Federal. I prefer the SP101 to a J frame anyway. I would rather have the gun I want, in the caliber I want, than to save $200. Thanks for asking. I am set on adding a rear sight to this gun. I was hoping someone would have pictures or another idea, but I'm going to go ahead and have the J frame rear sight installed.

As for the front sight, it's pinned in, so no worries there. I see a few options to buy taller sights. If nothing else, I have access to a Bridgeport, and know how to use it. I could make one if I absolutely had to.

Kraschenbirn
05-15-2018, 03:03 PM
Unfortunately you can't get a Smith and Wesson in 327 Federal. I prefer the SP101 to a J frame anyway...

Same here; my 'carry' is a 3" SP101 (.357) and Federal Hydrashocks shoot POA at 15 yds.

Bill

Petrol & Powder
05-16-2018, 08:20 AM
I've seen several conversions in which a S&W adjustable sight has been installed on a non S&W gun. It involves milling a slot in the top strap and drilling a tapping holes to secure the sight to the frame. The process is mostly a function of, "how much money do you want to spend".

megasupermagnum
05-16-2018, 02:52 PM
The gun is now at the gunsmith, and it seems like a straight forward deal. He is going to use the 4.2" model SP101 to mock the location of the sight on mine. I should have it back in about 2 weeks. Just holding it on there, I can tell I'm going to like it already. The J frame has multiple height blades, I chose the lowest. It will sit nice on low on the frame, and provides an excellent sight picture.

bobthenailer
05-18-2018, 07:59 AM
Years ago I had a adj S&W k frame rear sight installed on a 1911.

A J frame rear sight assembly is smaller yet , available from Brownells or Midway. @$50.00

If a front sight will help you out Dawson Precision makes front sights for the gp100 , black and fiber optic in a lot of sight height as well as width options , black sight $25,00 , fiber optic $39.00 includes shipping.

Bubba w/a 45/70
05-18-2018, 08:24 AM
I've seen several conversions in which a S&W adjustable sight has been installed on a non S&W gun. It involves milling a slot in the top strap and drilling a tapping holes to secure the sight to the frame. The process is mostly a function of, "how much money do you want to spend".

P & P, "how much money do you want to spend".........that is so very true with all gunsmithing problems/ideas that non-smiths can dream up......

;-)

Petrol & Powder
05-18-2018, 08:37 AM
P & P, "how much money do you want to spend".........that is so very true with all gunsmithing problems/ideas that non-smiths can dream up......

;-)

Yea, unfortunately most projects are limited more by my wallet than by my imagination.

Naphtali
05-19-2018, 11:04 AM
I am looking to install a rear sight onto my 3" SP101, and am looking for recommendations from people who have had it done. I've tried calling, but it doesn't seem like anyone listed online will answer the phone. I'm not looking for the cheapest job, but it needs to be reasonable, $150 or so. Before you have work done to the receiver, I suggest calling Ruger's customer service to verify Ruger will maintain and/or repair the revolver - after receiver has been altered. Product liability civil law may have resulted in restrictions in what can be altered and what the company will accept to continue to service. I mention this because restrictions Freedom Arms has placed on [private] gunsmithing Model 97 receivers and barrels has just about shut out having anyone else futz with them.

megasupermagnum
05-20-2018, 05:56 PM
Before you have work done to the receiver, I suggest calling Ruger's customer service to verify Ruger will maintain and/or repair the revolver - after receiver has been altered. Product liability civil law may have resulted in restrictions in what can be altered and what the company will accept to continue to service. I mention this because restrictions Freedom Arms has placed on [private] gunsmithing Model 97 receivers and barrels has just about shut out having anyone else futz with them.

I am certain that Ruger will no longer work on my modified Sp101. Ruger does not technically have a warranty at all, but they require all firearms are in the factory configuration, or they will not work on it. I will either have a gunsmith do work, or do it myself.

Cosmic_Charlie
05-20-2018, 06:11 PM
Maybe try Bowen Classic Arms.

9.3X62AL
05-20-2018, 08:56 PM
Rear sights? Sure. But why doesn't an aftermarket supplier provide a Patridge or Baughman-like black front sight for the SP-101 to replace the hideous god-awful Ray-Bar glow worm OEM front sight? I know that the ninja wanna-bes just love that tacticool debris, but how about throwing a bone to those of us that appreciate classic revolver equipage?

BigboreShooter
05-21-2018, 05:00 PM
My thoughts exactly on the factory front sight!!!
BigBoreShooter

megasupermagnum
05-21-2018, 06:28 PM
Are you talking about the fiber optic front sight? I see steel and tritium sights quite a bit. Mine came with a regular steel, all black blade. It's ok for light colored targets, but not good for much else. I painted mine orange.

9.3X62AL
05-21-2018, 08:20 PM
Are you talking about the fiber optic front sight?

Yes, sir. Es mui hideoso. It looks cheap and cheesy. Fiber optics is fine for sending data and video--I can do without it on my revolver sights.

megasupermagnum
05-31-2018, 01:05 PM
It looks like it is back to the drawing board. I've talked to a number of gunsmiths, and even left it at one for the past couple weeks to look it over. The end result is, none are willing to install a J-Frame rear sight. It's a shame Ruger would ruin what could be a great revolver.

I have tried a sharpie to darken the rear "sight", and it was marginally successful. Has anyone tried painting it with flat black?

megasupermagnum
05-31-2018, 08:32 PM
After making a number of calls today, it's not looking good. The best i can do is Bowen classics, and they can install a raised fixed sight. I'm not even going to bother with that.

It really is a shame, I had tried the 4.2" barrel, and it's just a little too long. It can dig into my leg after a while. The 3" is the far and away best size. Alas, my LCR is more accurate, so I think it's time to put this one up for sale. The LCR really is a phenomenal gun for what it is, and that trigger is to die for. Maybe I can find a holster to make the 4.2" model work, I will say the simply rugged holster I got for my 3" SP101 is the best I've ever owned. I can wear it bare against my side, no tucked shirt, all day. The 3" model will also conceal OWB, where the 4.2" wont without some goofy shirts or a jacket.

jandbj
05-31-2018, 08:44 PM
It looks like it is back to the drawing board. I've talked to a number of gunsmiths, and even left it at one for the past couple weeks to look it over. The end result is, none are willing to install a J-Frame rear sight. It's a shame Ruger would ruin what could be a great revolver.

I have tried a sharpie to darken the rear "sight", and it was marginally successful. Has anyone tried painting it with flat black?

When I was a broke young patrolman I used to do that to the factory glock plastic goal post rear sight on my backup gun. Added a cheap meprolight front sight and it worked great. Rustoleum flat black #7776.

jandbj
05-31-2018, 08:45 PM
After making a number of calls today, it's not looking good. The best i can do is Bowen classics, and they can install a raised fixed sight. I'm not even going to bother with that.

It really is a shame, I had tried the 4.2" barrel, and it's just a little too long. It can dig into my leg after a while. The 3" is the far and away best size. Alas, my LCR is more accurate, so I think it's time to put this one up for sale. The LCR really is a phenomenal gun for what it is, and that trigger is to die for. Maybe I can find a holster to make the 4.2" model work, I will say the simply rugged holster I got for my 3" SP101 is the best I've ever owned. I can wear it bare against my side, no tucked shirt, all day. The 3" model will also conceal OWB, where the 4.2" wont without some goofy shirts or a jacket.

May be easier to find someone to chop the 4.2” to 3” perhaps?

megasupermagnum
05-31-2018, 09:38 PM
That is a possibility, along with putting the 3" barrel on the 4.2" frame. At this point I don't think it's worth going farther though. It seems that it will be easier to learn to carry the 4.2" model, than to track down somebody that can put a rear sight on my 3". The added velocity and sight radius wouldn't be a bad thing either. I'm not looking for a tack driver, but I've got the LCR for when concealment matters. I think what I'm after, most people call a trail gun. I'm not exactly after a camping meat hunter, but I'm much more concerned with 4 legged critters than 2. My reasons for going with the 327 Fed. vs the 357 Mag are a whole other matter, which I am firm in my decision.

Anyway, an adjustable sighted 3" was a great idea that just wasn't meant to be... yet. I'll be writing Ruger.

Naphtali
06-01-2018, 02:59 AM

It really is a shame, I had tried the 4.2" barrel, and it's just a little too long. It can dig into my leg after a while. The 3" is the far and away best size. Alas, my LCR is more accurate, so I think it's time to put this one up for sale. The LCR really is a phenomenal gun for what it is, and that trigger is to die for. Maybe I can find a holster to make the 4.2" model work, I will say the simply rugged holster I got for my 3" SP101 is the best I've ever owned. I can wear it bare against my side, no tucked shirt, all day. The 3" model will also conceal OWB, where the 4.2" wont without some goofy shirts or a jacket. For me, Simply Rugged's pancake Silver Dollar rides the way I think you want when worn as cross-draw. But I find that holster's cant in its near vertical position to be "off" for me. They had no interest in making me a holster with the cant I need for their holster to work. Mark Fedders at Lobo holsters will make such a holster. I sent him my Simply Rugged to make "my" holster for my SP101 3-inch with partially bobbed hammer. If that holster works, we'll have it done for my SP101 4.2-inch. In our telephone conversations with follow-up via email, Mark is nearly certain that his pancake cross-draw for my 3-incher he can raise by .50- to .75-inch, making it for the longer barreled SP101. I am nearly certain that the way I wear my cross-draws, that 4.2-incher will be comfortable to wear. From information you have furnished in this thread I think, after your chatting with Mark, that the two of you can create the holster you want. You're not really wanting a holster that is bizarre. (I have one bizarre holster, and it works beautifully. Wes Daems at 7X Leather in Ennis, Montana, is the guy for "that holster you want but holster makers would not consider makeable." For most of my woods-walking/hunting holsters Wes built them to my order, and that includes belts, accessory ammunition pouches, compass pouches, knife sheaths, et al.. His primary business is saddle making. Holsters are a side business he enjoys.)

Hope something in my mishmash helps.

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-01-2018, 05:21 PM
. ...

megasupermagnum
06-01-2018, 06:27 PM
Ask them if they plan on making the 3" LCRX in 327 ... problem SOLVED! :)

While I think the LCR is awesome, it beats out any J-frame IMO, I'm not interested in a big LCR. First, I actually like the heft of the SP101, soaks up even 140 grain H110 cast bullet magnums, but it's still light enough I can forget about it on a long day. I wouldn't choose the SP101 for pocket carry, this is where the LCR really shines. The other thing is the LCR's short ejector rod. It's a necessity on a small gun by design, but the full length rod (actually just short by maybe .100") on the SP101 sure makes me feel a lot better. That and the thick cylinder seems to be a lot easier to eject full power ammo.

As for holsters, I actually like the straight style of the Simply Rugged. I won't lie, I've got some love handles, and the forward cant seems to dig the grip into my sides. I prefer IWB most days, but really appreciate the option of OWB of the SR. I like that the straps of the SR holster let it ride nice and low. I do not like cross draw. Thinking about it, maybe a nice and deep sitting holster with a slight forward cant would be the ticket. I'll call Mark and see what he can do.

exile
06-04-2018, 07:58 PM
I am probably missing some major point of this thread, but what about buying a Smith and Wesson 632? Chambered in .327 Federal and has a three inch barrel. It is ported though.

I have always wondered why Ruger does not offer an SP-101 in .327 Federal with a 2 1/4 inch barrel like their .357 magnum?

exile

megasupermagnum
06-04-2018, 09:10 PM
I am probably missing some major point of this thread, but what about buying a Smith and Wesson 632? Chambered in .327 Federal and has a three inch barrel. It is ported though.

I have always wondered why Ruger does not offer an SP-101 in .327 Federal with a 2 1/4 inch barrel like their .357 magnum?

exile

If you can find one for $700 (about what a SP101 with rear sight machine work costs), let me know. Good luck even finding one. I do not like porting though, what a waste on a small gun.

I personally think the 2" SP101 would be a downgrade from an LCR. The 327 federal, even with bullets heavier than factory offers is not bad in the LCR. Unless they offered the 2" with novak sights, the LCR is lighter, plenty shoot-able, and has a WAY better trigger. The SP101's weight does give it an advantage with the 120-140 grain bullets I prefer, and makes a huge difference when longer range accuracy is wanted.

megasupermagnum
06-12-2018, 06:29 PM
I just found the solution to my problem. After checking out a handful in a store, I decided the GP100 would be an even better fit. I ended up finding a Lipsey's special GP100, 5" barrel half-lug, blued, 327 federal, and it will hopefully be here early next week. I really think the 3" SP101 is a gem, so hopefully some day they will run a 327 federal with novak sights. I'm confident the frame/cylinder is plenty small to carry IWB without any concern, but the grips are always the question. I even tried my N-frame smith, and that would not be impossible IWB either, if I had such a holster. Every GP100 I tried had a much better trigger than the SP101, good sights (I don't like the fiber optic on the SP101 either), and while I never tried the wood grips on the lipsey's special, I always like Hogue grips.

megasupermagnum
05-18-2019, 07:04 PM
After a wait I figured out the ultimate solution. Let me introduce the SP101 perfected (for me).

It was originally a 4.2" barrel SP101 327 federal that came with adjustable sights. I ran plenty of ammo through it to confirm I was happy with it. I tried carrying it, but it is just a hair too long to carry concealed OWB without a coat. With a T shirt, I can conceal the 3" version just fine. Open carry I use the GP100.

The solution is simple. I bought a Bowens Classics front sight base, a .250" wide for DX smith and wesson style blades. I had a gunsmith shorten the barrel to 3", install the front sight base, and I now have a concealable 6 shot revolver that is every bit as accurate as when it was a 4.2".

That is the first 6 shots at 50 yards after getting it back, that is a 2"x2" square. I never even had to adjust the sights. I shot my unmodified 3" side by side, and it's no competition. Good sights make all the difference in the world, even off a bench.

shooting on a shoestring
05-19-2019, 08:23 AM
That is a GREAT solution.
Care to post a few details like approximate cost? Gunsmith?
Very cool final product.

The 5” GP...how’d you like it?

megasupermagnum
05-19-2019, 11:11 AM
That is a GREAT solution.
Care to post a few details like approximate cost? Gunsmith?
Very cool final product.

The 5” GP...how’d you like it?

The front sight base is $45 plus shipping
I used a Dawsons S&W DX front blade, $25 plus shipping
Gunsmithing was $150 plus gas

I had Craig Sturlaugson in Medina, MN do it. I would find a local gunsmith do it. Many gunsmiths can shorten a barrel, just make sure they are also machinist. Installing the front sight base is not complicated at all, it only involves running a 1/4" end mill down the top center of the barrel to create a groove for the base to sit in. The art is grinding the end of the barrel profile. I asked Craig to match the original profile, and he did a great job.

As for the 5" GP100, it is phenomenal. I can't say enough good about it. I haven't changed anything about it, including the grips. All I've done is shot it, and it has a fantastic 2 pound 2 ounce single action, and about 9 pound, smooth double action trigger.

shooting on a shoestring
05-19-2019, 03:26 PM
Thank you sir.
In my book those are very reasonable costs.
I’d say that’s a win win with your pair of revolvers.