PDA

View Full Version : Midsouth Shooters Supply is now adding PA sales tax to orders

bobthenailer
05-10-2018, 12:12 PM
Midsouth Shooters Supply in Tenn is now adding 6% PA state sales tax to all orders sent to PA !
They had a option to collect it or decline collecting it , they chose to collect it !
I'm sure other states are soon to follow

WILCO
05-10-2018, 12:18 PM
Well, if you think about it, someone in PA gave them an incentive.
Nobody works for free and the government wants it's money.

Bohica793
05-10-2018, 03:06 PM
Well, if you think about it, someone in PA gave them an incentive.
Nobody works for free and the government wants it's money.

Probably an incentive like "Nice little company you got there. Would be a shame to lock you up in court for 10 years......"

500Linebaughbuck
05-10-2018, 03:46 PM
what the heck, we've got a democrap governor named wolf. he "wolves" down our money and nothing to show for it.

vzerone
05-10-2018, 03:50 PM
PA is a piece of dung state. I grew up there and it has always been Democrat, that is except for the last election. You can get a hint about how bad a state is by the number of counties it has. The higher the number the worse the state is towards the people. Lots of taxes, high taxes, over regulated, etc.. Maybe we should give Mid South another incentive..BOYCOTT them!

salpal48
05-10-2018, 03:53 PM
With the demise Of Local or small store. The states are Loosing a Lot Of cash from the internet. sales tax by state is going to be nation wide very soon. Tax has no party Boundary. all want there money . . People have been getting a free Ride now it's time to pay up.
If you don't want to pay it don't Buy it

vzerone
05-10-2018, 04:07 PM
With the demise Of Local or small store. The states are Loosing a Lot Of cash from the internet. sales tax by state is going to be nation wide very soon. Tax has no party Boundary. all want there money . . People have been getting a free Ride now it's time to pay up.
If you don't want to pay it don't Buy it

So what if there was no internet? What would the states do then, charge us a tax for no reason?

Duckiller
05-10-2018, 04:29 PM
If there was no internet then you would have to buy from local stores and the State would get their money. If you have been buying off the internet and not paying State sales taxes you have probably been breaking State laws. Don't brag about it and don't whine about it. States that think there is enough money involved will go after it. Eventually all States with sales taxes will go after the money.

vzerone
05-10-2018, 04:36 PM
If there was no internet then you would have to buy from local stores and the State would get their money. If you have been buying off the internet and not paying State sales taxes you have probably been breaking State laws. Don't brag about it and don't whine about it. States that think there is enough money involved will go after it. Eventually all States with sales taxes will go after the money.

Sounds like many of you are sheep and easily let to slaughter. PA should have gone after Midwayusa as they do far more business then Midsouth.

Taxes were created by evil greedy men! I remember living there if you sold your use car the buyer had to pay a tax when it's registered. How many times should a tax be paid on the same item???? PA is a greedy liberal Democrat state. For a while people got around the tax on selling a used car by telling the office they sold it for a ridiculous low price. The state caught on to that and then required that the sell had to go by Blue Book values. They'll do anything to screw you out of your money.

So what you PA gun parts and reloading, and reloading equipment buyers should do is have a friend in another state that isn't taxed my Midsouth buy the item for you and then when we he gets the tracking number get on it and change the address from his residence to yours.

shaune509
05-10-2018, 05:22 PM
Washington state now charges a service fee on the seller to file the title release form and has been charging [there value rate] taxes on the sale for years.
Shaune509

salpal48
05-10-2018, 05:30 PM
sales tax Is now a fact of Life. You can complain all You want but there here to stay. I love the people who talk and say there not paying.
Call your state tax dept. and tell them you are refusing to pay the sales Tax. i sure they will get in Touch or maybe pay you a visit.
Move to a state that does not have sales tax.
get real

crowbuster
05-10-2018, 09:15 PM
I love midsouth. Good folks. You can boycott em ! More for me !

Steelshooter
05-11-2018, 06:38 AM
An don't forget PA applies the tax to the cost of shipping to.

Newboy
05-11-2018, 06:54 AM
I like it because it saves me the trouble of tracking all the things I buy off the internet when I do my taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JSnover
05-11-2018, 07:20 AM
No big deal. If I can't find something locally I'll buy it from whoever is cheapest, taxed or otherwise.
Calling for a boycott over this is just eating our own.

salpal48
05-11-2018, 07:25 AM
Mostly all states have a clause in there code basically saying if a Buyer refuses to pay sales tax. The seller If he is able to get a name and address of the buyer ( gun show sales) . can send the name of the buyer to the tax dept. for review and they will be in touch with them .
sounds good to me

tinsnips
05-11-2018, 08:52 AM
No one likes taxes including me but sales tax is probably the most fair of them all.

Geezer in NH
05-11-2018, 09:16 AM
get real

We did 35 years ago no income tax either. That is real

BrassMagnet
05-11-2018, 09:22 AM
No big deal. If I can't find something locally I'll buy it from whoever is cheapest, taxed or otherwise.
Calling for a boycott over this is just eating our own.

Well said!

Don Purcell
05-11-2018, 09:36 AM
With the closing of so many brick and mortar stores due to internet sales the Mafia, er, government wants in on the action. Didn't mean to insult the Mafia as they have more honor than the government.

Pipefitter
05-11-2018, 10:59 AM
Does anyone remember the days before the internet when you could call (or mail) a company and get a printed catalog?
You would look through the catalog and actually fill out the order form in the back, mail it to the company with a check or credit card information and in a week or ten days your order would appear on your doorstep. If the company you ordered from was out of the state you lived in you did not have to pay sales tax either.
I ordered plenty of components and equipment from several different outfits out of state this way, the internet just makes it more convenient.

DCP
05-11-2018, 11:28 AM
So, in the beginning, there was no tax on internet sales. (to help the internet get started)
The internet was too successful.
So states now see a cash cow.
Some states from the beginning said they want there sales tax pay it when you file your State tax.

Now many states have different tax rates. The logistics are horrible How many businesses are going to charge you taxes and just keep the money. We had a Wendys that didnt pay there State tax for 9 months. They got shut down. So when Swappin & Sellin has to collect tax some you ..............

WILCO
05-11-2018, 12:55 PM
Does anyone remember the days before the internet when you could call (or mail) a company and get a printed catalog?
You would look through the catalog and actually fill out the order form in the back, mail it to the company with a check or credit card information and in a week or ten days your order would appear on your doorstep.

Yep. I remember ordering from Midsouth back in the early 90's.
Went through the catalog, filled out the form and sent a check.
They even collected taxes back then. I still love Midsouth Shooters Supply.

MT Gianni
05-11-2018, 02:50 PM
Montana still has no sales tax.

Plate plinker
05-12-2018, 09:30 AM
Sounds like many of you are sheep and easily let to slaughter. PA should have gone after Midwayusa as they do far more business then Midsouth.

Taxes were created by evil greedy men! I remember living there if you sold your use car the buyer had to pay a tax when it's registered. How many times should a tax be paid on the same item???? PA is a greedy liberal Democrat state. For a while people got around the tax on selling a used car by telling the office they sold it for a ridiculous low price. The state caught on to that and then required that the sell had to go by Blue Book values. They'll do anything to screw you out of your money.

So what you PA gun parts and reloading, and reloading equipment buyers should do is have a friend in another state that isn't taxed my Midsouth buy the item for you and then when we he gets the tracking number get on it and change the address from his residence to yours.

Sounds like conspiracy to commit fraud. No thanks I prefer being on the outside.

Plate plinker
05-12-2018, 09:34 AM
No one likes taxes including me but sales tax is probably the most fair of them all.

YEP YEP YEP. This would be my number one preferred choice of taxation. Pay to play and only on new goods no second taxation on things.

Mal Paso
05-12-2018, 10:25 AM
Remember when there was a Federal Law baring states from charging tax on mail order products from another state. Only charges for weighing and inspection were allowed. What happened to that Law?

nekshot
05-12-2018, 10:36 AM
England has a vat tax(value added tax when item is bought) that I think is fair to all who buy, but what do I know?

Elkins45
05-12-2018, 10:56 AM
I doubt that KY is alone in that we have a legal requirement to pay state taxes on any out of state purchases we make. There’s a line on our state income tax form called “Kentucky Usage Tax” where we are supposed to calculate and pay the sales tax on any goods we purchased without having the sales tax collected. That includes anything bought off eBay. So we would have to eventually pay the tax anyway.

Back when our taxes were more complicat d we used to pay someone to do our taxes. He used to give me a funny look when I would tell him how much to add for the usage tax. Apparently it wasn’t very common for any of his clients to pay anything at all. I will confess that I just took a general WAG about how much I had spent on big stuff and I certainly wasn’t going to add up every $5 little part I bought on eBay. I’m sure I underpaid a few dollars, but at least I made the attempt. I figured it would be a point in my favor if we were ever audited.

I can’t imagine more states don’t have some sort of requirement like that. So I wouldn’t be surprised if more of them start forcing mail order retailers to collect taxes.

I’m not boycotting a good company because they are following the law.

Idz
05-12-2018, 11:16 AM
Never under-estimate the enormous greed of Government. The libs believe ALL money is theirs and the ruling liberal elite will decide how much you are allowed to keep. Libs believe people are too stupid to control themselves and therefore the lib elite has a moral duty to control the peons, for their own good.
Don't get suckered in by the 'fair' VAT tax. If the Government rams that one through they will still keep all the other taxes in place.

JSnover
05-12-2018, 11:33 AM
If there HAD to be taxes and if the VAT was The Way To Go I might support that but ONLY if there were no others.

JBinMN
05-12-2018, 11:50 AM
Never under-estimate the enormous greed of Government. The libs believe ALL money is theirs and the ruling liberal elite will decide how much you are allowed to keep. Libs believe people are too stupid to control themselves and therefore the lib elite has a moral duty to control the peons, for their own good.
Don't get suckered in by the 'fair' VAT tax. If the Government rams that one through they will still keep all the other taxes in place.

That Bolded is 99% of the time a "fact". And if they do remove any tax ( which I do not recall happening much) it will surely be replaced by a higher tax not long after.

Anecdote: In Rochester , MN. , back in '78, there was a big flood. After that flood, in order to pay for building flood control barriers around the city they imposed a penny ($0.01) tax on any sales in the city to include lodging as well. It was supposed to only be in place until the barrier work was paid for. That wrok was completed & paid for looonnng ago. But... the TAX remains...
Just one good example of a gooberment taxing once & saying the tax will expire, then just keeping the tax after the expiration date...

------------------------

As far as MidSouth collecting taxes for PA, or any other state. I would think that there is a cost involved if ALL states forced the companies to do this & THAT would mean an increase in the cost of what you are buying to pay for the increased costs of collecting those taxes for the states. The company becoming a "tax collector" is a distasteful idea to me, and I am pretty sure it would not be a good idea for the ones who own/run MidSouth or any other company.

Any decision to comply with PA or any other states DEMAND that companies collect such taxes & pay them to the state where the goods are to be shipped then also brings in the Feds due to interstate commerce, if I am not mistaken.

This whole thing is a racket(extortion) & PA and any other states who are doing this to the companies are going to drive up costs which drive up taxes which drive up costs again & so on...

And... THEY(states) KNOW IT...

Also, if this is only being done to components that involve firearms, then there certainly is a bit of an agenda towards the control of firearms & their related components, including ammunition. If they are going to implement such practices then those practices will need to be covering ALL goods & not just select goods directed at a certain market.

This makes one wonder if PA, et al, are targeting just a certain area of goods, or did they contact ALL companies that market in PA, et al.??

I have a funny feeling that this "tax collection" is directed at a certain market & not all companies doing business in PA & et al....

Elkins45
05-12-2018, 02:37 PM
This makes one wonder if PA, et al, are targeting just a certain area of goods, or did they contact ALL companies that market in PA, et al.??

I have a funny feeling that this "tax collection" is directed at a certain market & not all companies doing business in PA & et al....

I don’t know. It might start that way, but once they start tasting the green they will probably go after every bead and trinket seller they can find.

Smoke4320
05-12-2018, 02:45 PM
That Bolded is 99% of the time a "fact". And if they do remove any tax ( which I do not recall happening much) it will surely be replaced by a higher tax not long after.

Anecdote: In Rochester , MN. , back in '78, there was a big flood. After that flood, in order to pay for building flood control barriers around the city they imposed a penny ($0.01) tax on any sales in the city to include lodging as well. It was supposed to only be in place until the barrier work was paid for. That wrok was completed & paid for looonnng ago. But... the TAX remains...
Just one good example of a gooberment taxing once & saying the tax will expire, then just keeping the tax after the expiration date...

------------------------

As far as MidSouth collecting taxes for PA, or any other state. I would think that there is a cost involved if ALL states forced the companies to do this & THAT would mean an increase in the cost of what you are buying to pay for the increased costs of collecting those taxes for the states. The company becoming a "tax collector" is a distasteful idea to me, and I am pretty sure it would not be a good idea for the ones who own/run MidSouth or any other company.

Any decision to comply with PA or any other states DEMAND that companies collect such taxes & pay them to the state where the goods are to be shipped then also brings in the Feds due to interstate commerce, if I am not mistaken.

This whole thing is a racket(extortion) & PA and any other states who are doing this to the companies are going to drive up costs which drive up taxes which drive up costs again & so on...

And... THEY(states) KNOW IT...

Also, if this is only being done to components that involve firearms, then there certainly is a bit of an agenda towards the control of firearms & their related components, including ammunition. If they are going to implement such practices then those practices will need to be covering ALL goods & not just select goods directed at a certain market.

If you have a landline

Great Depression[edit]
Today's telephone excise tax derives from the Revenue Bill of 1932. Since then, it has been reauthorized 29 times. The 1932 Act was passed in response to a federal budget deficit brought about because of a decline in income tax receipts caused by an economic depression rather than as a result of war. Initially the tax was levied only on interstate (long-distance) service. The telephone excise tax was extended five times (between 1933 and 1941) before the tax was first applied to local telephone service.
World War II[edit]
Just prior to the entrance of the United States into World War II, the Revenue Act of 1941 was passed into law.[10] In addition to increasing the rate on long distance calls, it also imposed the tax on "general" or local telephone service for the first time. The rate of tax for local telephone service was set at 6 percent of the amount paid by subscribers while that for long distance calls was set at 5 cents for each 50 cents or fraction thereof, if the cost of the message was greater than 24 cents. Other legislation was subsequently enacted during World War II — the Revenue Act of 1942 [11] and the Revenue Act of 1943.[12] The tax rates on telephone service reached their all-time high under provisions of the Revenue Act of 1943.[13] Rates were 15 percent on local telephone calls and 25 percent (on messages which cost more than 24 cents) on long distance calls. The Revenue Act of 1943 also provided for the increased excise tax rates to expire. In the case of the excise taxes on telephone service, the law provided that the increased rates would end six months after the "date of termination of hostilities in the present war." The law defined the termination date as that date proclaimed by either the President or the date specified in a concurrent resolution of the two Houses of Congress, whichever is the earlier. In a reversal of this position, the Excise Tax Act of 1947 [14] continued the rates indefinitely.
Codification in the Internal Revenue Code[edit]
With the enactment of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954,[15] the levies imposed on both local and long distance calls (for messages costing more than 24 cents) were reduced from 15 percent to 10 percent. The Excise Tax Technical Changes Act of 1958 [16] made no changes in the tax rate on telephone calls, but did remove the 24 cents limitation first provided for in 1942. Both local and long-distance calling were subject to the same tax rate for the first time.
The Tax Rate Extension Act of 1959 [17] provided for the termination of the tax on local telephone service on July 1, 1960. However, a series of one-year extensions[18] was subsequently enacted[19] each year until 1965, when the Excise Tax Reduction Act[20] became law. In 1965, Congress enacted comprehensive legislation which repealed many existing federal excise taxes and authorized the reduction and, in some instances, the gradual reduction and ultimate repeal of other excises over a period of years. This Act authorized the reduction of the 10 percent tax on local and long distance telephone service to 3 percent which became effective on January 1, 1966. In addition to the reduced rate, the Act provided for the gradual reduction and elimination of the tax on January 1, 1969.
Vietnam War[edit]
By 1966, however, the federal government’s revenue requirements had increased due to escalation of the Vietnam War. President Johnson requested that Congress enact legislation to restore the rate of the telephone excise tax to the 10 percent rate in effect prior to January 1, 1966, and that successive reductions which had been authorized by the Excise Tax Reduction Act of 1965 be deferred. Accordingly, Congress enacted the Tax Adjustment Act of 1966.[21] That Act authorized the restoration of the former 10 percent rate on these services beginning on April 1, 1966, for a two-year period (until April 1, 1968), at which time it was to be reduced to 1 percent, before repeal on January 1, 1969.
Again in 1967, President Johnson urged postponement of scheduled reductions in telephone excise taxes as part of his tax program designed to meet the rising cost of the war and increasing domestic needs. A joint Congressional resolution was approved which temporarily extended the 10 percent rate from March 31, 1968, until April 30, 1968. This temporary extension provided Congress time to complete action on the Revenue and Expenditure Control Act of 1968.[22] The 1968 Act continued the 10 percent tax retroactively from April 30, 1968, until December 31, 1969, with provision for its subsequent reduction and repeal by calendar year 1973.
Passage of the Tax Reform Act of 1969 [23] again granted a one-year extension (this time until December 31, 1970) of the telephone tax at the rate of 10 percent. With passage of the Excise, Estate and Gift Tax Adjustment Act of 1970 [24] the 10 percent rate was extended through calendar years 1971 and 1972. The tax was then to be reduced by 1 percent each year until the tax was scheduled for repeal on January 1, 1982. However, prior to repeal, the tax was extended in 1980 at a 2 percent rate until 1982 when it was scheduled to be reduced to 1 percent before repeal in 1983.[25] In 1981 the tax was extended again. This time the tax was extended at the 1 percent rate for two additional years with repeal scheduled for 1985.[26] However, in the following year, 1982, the tax was increased to a 3 percent rate, with repeal rescheduled for the beginning of calendar year 1986.[27]
In April 1984 both the House of Representatives and the Senate passed legislation calling for a continuation of the current excise tax on telephone service at a 3 percent rate for an additional two years. The legislation enacted provided for repeal in 1988.[28] However, before repeal the tax was again extended at the 3 percent rate this time for an additional three years.[29]
President George H. W. Bush's budget proposal for fiscal year 1991 called for the permanent extension of the telephone excise tax at the prevailing rate of 3%. Since the tax had been a continuous revenue source since 1932 and because of large continuing budget deficits, Congress concurred with the President’s recommendation and made the tax a permanent part of the tax revenue structure with the enactment of the Revenue Reconciliation Act of 1990.[30]
On September 14, 2000, the House of Representatives took up legislation which included the repeal of the telephone excise tax. Under provisions contained in H.R. 4516, which was a package of both spending and tax bills, the 3% tax on communication services would be immediately repealed. After passage by the Congress, President Clinton vetoed this legislation.
The general excise tax has so far cost consumers about $300 billion, says the Congressional Research Service.
Until the middle of 2006, the tax was collected by telephone companies with respect to local and long-distance telephone services. Collection of the tax on most long-distance service was then halted due to a controversy that erupted over the wording of the law and the way telephone service is billed today.

EDG
05-12-2018, 03:07 PM
The industry I work in avoids doing business in the northeast because it is a known high cost region.

sales tax Is now a fact of Life. You can complain all You want but there here to stay. I love the people who talk and say there not paying.
Call your state tax dept. and tell them you are refusing to pay the sales Tax. i sure they will get in Touch or maybe pay you a visit.
get real

EDG
05-12-2018, 03:11 PM
Everyone in the UK complains about the high cost of reloading tools and components.

England has a vat tax(value added tax when item is bought) that I think is fair to all who buy, but what do I know?

JBinMN
05-12-2018, 03:39 PM
Yep... Smoke4320, Same deal with phone services & not just landline if I am not mistaken... Seems there is a few taxes on cellphones as well.

Different service/product, but the tax does not go away...
The gubment/politicians know what they are doing. While most folks just don't pay enough attention to it due to all the "circuses" they would rather enjoy, at the same time they get their pockets picked by the gubment right in front of them. They just get used to the taxes & are told the taxes will expire at some point & then when they are used to the taxes, the gubment just rolls the taxes over again & again. Boiling frogs & sheeple tolerate it & there are too many frogs & sheeple to make the rest be able to do much about it..

Not much anyone can legally do about it, is the problem. Except maybe "loopholes" if one can find them. If folks get rid of one set of politicians & the others just do the same program of tax when they can and as often as they can. Usually in just a different way to tax if they do lower or remove a tax, but the removing rarely happens... It is a racket, like I said earlier.

I think it is just a matter of time before this type of taxation gets popular & will eventually create a black market such as drugs, prostitutes, distilled ligature( moonshine), etc., IMO. The gubment messes up a lot of things & really screws it up a lot with taxes. It only seems to rankle some, most just pay & do nothing else but complain. Others , on the other hand, choose ways to do something about it. Not always legal...

I know of some of the other methods of fighting back, but since they are mostly not legal, and of course would not be permitted to be discussed here due to that, they will not be mentioned. Folks will have to ponder on that sort of thing, on their own, if they like. There are "loopholes" on occasion, but I don't like to discuss illegal doins/"tax evasion" by folks in avoiding taxes... Even if I know of some of them, I'm still not gonna go any further in that direction...
I call that, "minding my own business.".
YMMV of course.
;)

Geezer in NH
05-12-2018, 06:24 PM
Note shipping fees are the real killer just notified today by Amazon prime gong to $119.00.

Add that to your sales tax.

sharpshooter3040
05-12-2018, 06:26 PM
Midsouth Shooters Supply in Tenn is now adding 6% PA state sales tax to all orders sent to PA !
They had a option to collect it or decline collecting it , they chose to collect it !
I'm sure other states are soon to follow

From what I understand the tax collection depends on if you live in a destination state that collects sales tax from a vendor in an origination state. It is very confusing especially if you ship to California which a from my understanding has a modified version of the destination state tax code because of the state and local and county tax collections. It is on the retailer to comply with these states and their tax codes so I can only imagine how complicated it becomes. Any ask Siri lol and you can be as confused as I am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodbutcher
05-12-2018, 09:00 PM
:D Yep Good ole Washington,DC.To me the DC stands for District of Criminals.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

bedbugbilly
05-13-2018, 08:20 AM
Another example that gets the AMERICAN CITIZEN taxpayer to thinking . . .

If you can see it - tax it. If it moves - tax it. If it EXISTS - tax it.

The great majority of taxes are grossly "mis-spent" and it seems today, that the left feels that taxes should be done away with - they would like our entire income as we are too stupid to know how to spend it to live. Heaven help anyone who thinks the new tax reform is good - after all, it's helped improve the economy, it's created jobs, it's put more money into the taxpayer's pocket in the majority of the cases - only to be sucked away by new taxes or increases in costs of government urn programs. I listen to Pelosi spout off about $1,000 being 'crumbs" and yet thin back to Obaa's "stimulation checks" to people - seems to me they were around $1,000.

I don't know the ins and outs of the PA income tax that they are collecting, but I do remember being in business and I never had an "incentive" to collect any tax for the government - it was required. I have no idea of where the collection of state's sales taxes are going, but I have to think it will soon be a common thing as everyone what's their share of the pie - so it can be wasted on things that are not a priority but "pet projects" of the politicians.

Unfortunately, the AMERICAN TAXPAYER is looked at by politicians as the "GOLDEN GOOSE" - and we all know how that story ended.

Personally, I think that President Trump was wrong about one thing when he referred to Washington as the "swamp" - and the same goes for most State Politicians in many cases . . . . he should have referred to it for what it really is but,, even he chose t be politically correct - it's not a "swamp" . . . .it's a "septic tank".

Unfortunately, many companies who are collecting state sales tax for orders to those states that require it will probably loose business until they have it so every business is collecting it.

toallmy
05-13-2018, 09:21 AM
You as a citizen of the state vote for the politicians that create the laws , no one likes to pay the tax but everyone wants to enjoy the benefits . I live in Virginia and am taxed quite a bit - hear you are taxed to death and then after you die , you can't even give your own money away without it being taxed . Strangely enough because it's a bit here and there most don't really know how much it really is - socialism is a reality .

reddog81
05-13-2018, 07:29 PM
Just wait until June and Wayfair vs South Dakota is decided. If SD wins every state will enact laws forcing every online vendor to start collecting sales tax.

PA recently enacted a law forcing online sellers to either collect PA tax or follow their notice and reporting requirements. The requirements include stating that PA use tax is due on the website, a notice that PA use tax is due on the customers invoices/order forms/receipts, send an annual notice to all purchasers reminding them of their use tax liability and also sending an annual report to the PA dept of revenue listing the name address and dollar amounts of purchases for each customer. For many retailers it's just easier to start collecting the tax rather than deal with the notice and reporting requirements.

FWIW online sales have always been taxable unless you live an a state without sales tax. If the seller doesn't charge tax then you are liable for the taxes and supposed to report them directly to the state.

lead-1
05-13-2018, 10:49 PM
Believe it or not but some states collect sales tax on garage sales and other types of temporary sale venues. It's only a matter of time before they enforce this more strictly.

Elkins45
05-14-2018, 12:28 PM
Believe it or not but some states collect sales tax on garage sales and other types of temporary sale venues. It's only a matter of time before they enforce this more strictly.

I am told that one of the reasons there are so few gun shows in my very pro-gun state is that agents from the Revenue Cabinet used to go down the aisles passing out sales tax reporting forms to all the vendors. Even guys who were just doing a one time sale.

reddog81
05-14-2018, 05:01 PM
I am told that one of the reasons there are so few gun shows in my very pro-gun state is that agents from the Revenue Cabinet used to go down the aisles passing out sales tax reporting forms to all the vendors. Even guys who were just doing a one time sale.

Kentucky does have an occasional sale exemption that allows for 2 tax exempt sales per year. I'm not sure this is helpful or not since 2 is such a low threshold...