PDA

View Full Version : Dillon Brass wand for brass pickup?

solman
05-09-2018, 10:21 AM
Hi,
Anyone use the Dillon brass wand for picking up range brass? I shoot pistol on a packed dirt surface and .223 on a concrete pad at my local range. I was thinking to get one of these items if it works well. Also I was thinking after its partially full it might dump brass as fast as it picks it up.
https://www.dillonprecision.com/brass-wand_8_8_25715.html

Kraschenbirn
05-09-2018, 10:49 AM
Being, primarily, a wheelgun shooter these days, I don't have much use for a pick-up tool but, last weekend, noticed one of our steel shooters using one to police up his 9mm brass after a practice session and it looked like it worked pretty darn good. I suspect you may be right about a capacity issue, though, because I noticed that Terry was only filling his half-way before emptying it into his range bag.

Bill

fast ronnie
05-09-2018, 11:11 AM
Our range has several of them. Personally, I don't use them. The squeegees seem to work better on concrete. Just my personal opinion.

Minerat
05-09-2018, 11:16 AM
I don't have one but have also look at these a little more expensive but an alternative. They have one for $59.00 right now.
https://ammoupusa.com/

Kenstone
05-09-2018, 11:17 AM
read the reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_13?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=nut+gathering+tool&sprefix=nut+gathering%2Caps%2C238&crid=2NNRK3E1G3492
:mrgreen:

Edit: the Weasel Small Nut Gatherer has 8 reviews that mention "range" and brass pick-up
https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Weasel-95334-Small-Gatherer/dp/B0173P3O16/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1525921142&sr=8-3&keywords=nut+gathering+tool

Reddirt62
05-09-2018, 01:50 PM
Not sure but they work well for pecans!! LOL!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Silverboolit
05-09-2018, 06:06 PM
I have a Brass Wizard, same as the Dillon, and it works well. Only fill it up partially, otherwise it leaks due to the weight of the brass in the cage. I don't leave home without it! It gets it all, pistol, rifle, .22s. Haven't tried it for shotshell, but probably would work.

jmorris
05-09-2018, 10:24 PM
I bought a number of nut wizards from the fellow that invented them, years ago. They worked great.

He sells them for lots of different things (diameters). Was really shocked when he sent them to me and once I received them had the address to send the check to for payment.

I hope he is doing great and getting something out of his invention.

http://www.nutwizard.com

Dave W.
05-09-2018, 11:01 PM
I have two. They do not pick up 22's very well but work great on everything from 380 to 30-06. When the basket gets about a third full it starts to loose cases. A couple things to remember are to roll parallel to the cases and do not push down on the handle. The wires spread if too much weight is put on them causing the cases to fall out.

second chance
05-12-2018, 08:44 AM
I drive 25 miles to an outdoor range, mainly because none of the closer indoor ranges allow you to pick up the brass you bought. Because of the drive, when I go, I carry 200 rounds minimum. Bending over two hundred times to pick up brass is for the younger backs! I have seen these used for years by people with pecan trees, and they work great. I ordered one from Dillon a couple of weeks ago and it picks up brass, just as well as nuts, but needs to be emptied more often because of the weight of brass. I believe the Dillon one is made in the same specs as the original, if not the same US company. It also comes with the wire that attaches to a bucket that spreads the pick up wires for emptying, looks like that's an additional $14 on Amazon.

jdfoxinc
05-12-2018, 10:44 AM
You WILL pick up the occasional piece of gravel, but it works as advertised.

pjames32
05-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Mine works great on packed sand. I did not purchase from Dillon. Mine is a nut picker. It does leak when it gets heavy but my old back appreciates it.

Grmps
05-12-2018, 12:13 PM
FOR VOLUME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz_3F0ZW4og

second chance
05-13-2018, 08:23 AM
HaHaHa! Now that might be too much of a good thing! Proves the contraption works though.

Tatume
05-13-2018, 08:59 AM
Nut rollers are marketed under several names. They work well.

gray wolf
05-13-2018, 07:26 PM
Bad back here, I couldn't shoot my autos without one.
They don't work on soft sand, but other than that they are great--they work.

bullet maker 57
05-13-2018, 07:53 PM
I have one and it works very well. Saves the back.

Shepherd2
05-14-2018, 07:03 AM
I have the Midway version with the telescoping handle. It works really well as long as you don't push down on the handle. If you do the wires spread and some of the brass falls out. I don't go to the range without it.

Dragonheart
05-14-2018, 08:48 AM
I have been using a small pecan picker (rolling wire basket) for about 15 years. It will pick up everything from 22-45 and rifle cases. It originally came with a wooden handle, but I installed and aluminium painters roller handle that will collapse to make it more portable. When the word got out these were great for picking up brass the pickers got a new name and doubled in price.

rototerrier
05-15-2018, 01:13 PM
Used the caldwell version for about 5 minutes. As much brass falls out as would stick in. Total waste of time and effort. Took it back for a refund. I shoot outdoors, so it has to deal with leaves and grass. I just figured it would work best on concrete or asphalt, but I'd imagine the same issue of brass falling out as brass spreads the wire to get in would still exist. We have a mix of 45 and 9. All the 9 would fall out as the 45 tried to get in. Also had some rifle rounds. Was just an all around fail.

OzzieDoc
05-16-2018, 04:34 AM
Used the caldwell version for about 5 minutes. As much brass falls out as would stick in. Total waste of time and effort. Took it back for a refund. I shoot outdoors, so it has to deal with leaves and grass. I just figured it would work best on concrete or asphalt, but I'd imagine the same issue of brass falling out as brass spreads the wire to get in would still exist. We have a mix of 45 and 9. All the 9 would fall out as the 45 tried to get in. Also had some rifle rounds. Was just an all around fail.

Have the Caldwell version as well.

Agree that the thing is junk. I consider it about the worst fail of anything I've bought in the shooting sports line. it really is that bad. I left it at the range for others to use if they wanted to and it is still sitting there.

I'm surprised that some of the posts above give generally positive feedback for equipment that is basically the same. Might work for nuts but picking up a mix of different size cases doesn't seem that likely to be effective.

Newboy
05-16-2018, 07:00 AM
I like mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dragonheart
05-16-2018, 10:38 AM
if you buy a bad car, does that automatically mean all cars are bad? There are pickers that work, those that do not or not very well. It depends on the shape of the bowl, spring of the wire and the wire spacing. i fortunately have a good one that was made to pick up the small native Texas Pecans. For years it has been picking up brass on concrete, short grass, dirt, and sand. Granted it didn't do the best on crushed limestone as it would gather rocks also.

When I am at the club there may be a dozen shooters borrowing it to pick up their brass on the concrete and fiberglass ground cloth. If it didn't work they wouldn't want to use it.

LaPoint
05-16-2018, 07:24 PM
I've used both the Nut Wizard and the Ammo-up on a concrete floor. They both work great. The ammo-up is quicker and holds more. The nut wizard will unload itself if you get it too full.

rondog
05-16-2018, 07:40 PM
Mine is a Brass Mower, works great but I'm about due for a new one - 'bout worn mine plumb out. But I sure wouldn't pay a premium for the Dillon name, those things are available under lots of names, probably all made in the same place.