PDA

View Full Version : I feel lucky

redneck1
05-09-2018, 02:38 AM
I feel like I've been pretty lucky when it comes to the shooting sports.

Since I was a kid and got my first rifle I've been a pretty decent shot .
Not an expert by any means , I've never been good at shooting little tiny groups on paper , but I've been pretty fair at hitting what I'm aiming at . And the groups I do put on paper make me feel pretty darn good . So I feel lucky .

When I started re-loading as a youth because I couldn't afford ammo
I read the manuals and followed the directions as a result of that I made and still make pretty decent ammo . Without ever having any major issues . It makes me feel pretty darn lucky .

Then I started casting my own bullets to be able to shoot even more often . I jumped in blind , didn't know anything about bore/groove diameters or throats or any of that stuff .
But none of that seemed to matter , I learned how to cull out bad bullets and only use those with nice sharp driving bands and bases .
And along with some decent lube and an appropriate powder charge I had good luck with cast right from the start .

All of this good luck I have been blessed with has cause me to not be an expert shot , an expert hand loader nor an expert bullet caster .
And for that I feel like the luckiest guy on earth because it has allowed me more then a couple decades to enjoy my past time very thoroughly .. without all the headaches of being an expert at anything .

William Yanda
05-09-2018, 07:42 AM
Local paper had a quote recently; "Sometimes I talk to myself because sometimes I need expert advice."

Wayne Smith
05-09-2018, 07:50 AM
Local paper had a quote recently; "Sometimes I talk to myself because sometimes I need expert advice."

My boys gave me a cup with that quote on it!

I know what you mean, those who have struggled to learn are the 'experts' - those who just do it don't know all the mistakes that are possible!

lightman
05-09-2018, 07:52 AM
I'm not sure how much luck has to do with it. Often you make your own luck. I know what you are talking about though! It sounds like you are just well prepared and took the effort to learn the correct ways to shoot and to reload. I don't know exactly what qualifies one as an expert either. I have watched U-Tube videos and sometimes words like "goober" or "idiot" come to mind. Especially when I watch some of the videos about smelting lead and the guy is wearing shorts and flip-flops.

Ole Joe Clarke
05-09-2018, 07:56 AM
I'm not sure how much luck has to do with it. Often you make your own luck. I know what you are talking about though! It sounds like you are just well prepared and took the effort to learn the correct ways to shoot and to reload. I don't know exactly what qualifies one as an expert either. I have watched U-Tube videos and sometimes words like "goober" or "idiot" come to mind. Especially when I watch some of the videos about smelting lead and the guy is wearing shorts and flip-flops.

Or loose primers on the table, or dumping them in the floor because they don't know how to flip a primer tray.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

mold maker
05-09-2018, 08:37 AM
Lessons learned through personal experience stay with you much longer than what you glean from a book.
Sometimes you have to talk to yourself in order to carry on an intelligent conversation.

Thundarstick
05-09-2018, 10:50 AM
I've heard said, "A smart man learns from his mistakes, a wise man learns from others mistakes."!

So far, I've got all my fingers and both eyes, o, and a few scars! :wink:

RGrosz
05-09-2018, 11:19 AM
An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less, until he knows every thing about nothing. So far I've been lucky not to be an expart in nothing. But I have been lucky to know a little bit about most things that I wanted to know about. I've had fun and can do a lot of things, but none of them to the expert level, by the grace of God. And most of the time it was just luck that I'm still here.
Have fun.
Rob

redneck1
05-10-2018, 03:00 AM
Some get it , some don't .

In an odd way I've always felt bad for the experts whether a true expert or those who are in thier own minds .
It must be tough to live up to real or imagined grandeur , I imagine that it's a life full of disappointments more big then small .

mold maker
05-10-2018, 08:59 AM
I'll never be an expert because every time I think I have the answers, someone changes the questions.

Calamity Jake
05-10-2018, 09:58 AM
EXPERT
Defination: EX is a has been, SPERT is a drip under pressure.

Neff said.[smilie=1:

mold maker
05-12-2018, 04:24 PM
In that case, I may be one after all. A has been for sure and a spirt or squirt maybe. I do have to have a napkin when I eat. LOL

Texas by God
05-12-2018, 06:07 PM
The fun of getting old is making the same mistake you made 30 years ago and after said mistake is made- you go "oh yeah".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

mold maker
05-12-2018, 07:19 PM
Getting old is the penalty for outliving youth.
Remember when you thought you were bull strong and bulletproof?
Don't ya wish you had listened to your grandparents?

woodbutcher
05-12-2018, 08:30 PM
:D Listened to my Grand Father.Guess that`s why I`m a bit of a gun nut to this day.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

JBinMN
05-12-2018, 08:44 PM
All about having fun & not getting anyone hurt by it.
:)