PDA

View Full Version : Tractor forums

AK Caster
05-06-2018, 09:42 AM
I'll be buying a tractor in the 30-35 hp range within a year and would like to join a forum to learn more about them. Appreciate if anyone could point me to one or two worthwhile forums.
Thank you

Elkins45
05-06-2018, 09:54 AM
When I was tractor shopping I joined http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/index.php and picked up some good info. They tend to focus on modern and newer tractors, as opposed to other forums that are filled with guys who love to talk about tractors that haven’t been made for 30 years or more.

If you’re thinking about buying used then http://www.tractordata.com is a good place to get comparison info.

Petrol & Powder
05-06-2018, 10:15 AM
I'll second that

And if you're in the market for a tractor you already know what you're getting into. Do your research before you shop and know what you want/need.

The big decisions are: Hydrostatic drive vs. geared, Horse power (remember the new tier 4 emissions requirements) and basic layout.

osteodoc08
05-06-2018, 10:33 AM
I’ll third tractorbynet and for chainsaws I’d recommend arborist site. Who doesn’t like chainsaws?

1bluehorse
05-06-2018, 10:40 AM
I'll second that

And if you're in the market for a tractor you already know what you're getting into. Do your research before you shop and know what you want/need.

The big decisions are: Hydrostatic drive vs. geared, Horse power (remember the new tier 4 emissions requirements) and basic layout.

I also will recommend tractorbynet site. Member there for a long time. Do not forget in between the Hydrostat and gear transmissions there is the best option (IMO) the shuttle shift.

Petrol & Powder
05-06-2018, 10:49 AM
I left shuttle shift out because I sort of lump that in with gear drive, but yes, probably the best option. Unfortunately, it's hard to get shuttle shift on compact tractors until you start getting into the higher HP ranges.

I wish the manufactures would offer shuttle shift on more models but they seem to be concentrating on hydrostatic drive on the under 28hp machines. There is a big jump in cost when you get up around 30 hp.

Blanket
05-06-2018, 10:54 AM
check out LS tractors, they are also sold as New Hollands at a lot higher price.

rancher1913
05-06-2018, 11:02 AM
guess I'm getting old, my "new" tractor was bought new in 1980, still does the bulk of the heavy work around here.

osteodoc08
05-06-2018, 11:31 AM
Out of curiosity. At what acreage do most people find they need a tractor and what’s the biggest job (s) they do with it?

country gent
05-06-2018, 11:34 AM
For many years Dads main tractor was an International farmall 400 made in the 50s and we used it into the 90s. This was a 40-45 hp tractor and basically a new improved M. It did a great job on the 40 acres. Regular maintence ( oil changes, spark plugs, filters, and keeping fluids topped up) and this equipment runs forever.

MrWolf
05-06-2018, 12:10 PM
Doc, I am also going to be looking at a smaller sub-compact or so. My needs are due to my back. I can't do much labor so will be used for moving dirt, small grading, work on my road, and hopefully putting in a pond. I have 81 acres of mostly mountain trees.

Blanket
05-06-2018, 12:10 PM
every man needs a tractor

ubetcha
05-06-2018, 01:10 PM
This is my second year with my John Deere 1025R with loader and 60" mower deck and I love it. I look for any excuse or reason to use it. Father in law just bought a King Kutter XB rototiller for me to use on the 3 pt hitch. Works awesome. I have a little over 5acres with about 3 in grass so now mowing is much faster with a 60" deck versus a 48". And since I compost, I have a bagger attachment.With my two gardens and both my sons gardens the tiller is ideal. Never though I would have so many uses for a loader either. A good web site to visit for older tractor and I'm sure new ones would be www.yesterdaystractors.com. very informative and they have a parts store. Several years ago I bought a new exhaust manifold for my FIL's Farmall H from them.

Tatume
05-06-2018, 01:26 PM
Our family farm had a Ford 8n that I grew up with. It had everything, hay rake, plow, disk, belt-driven cross-cut saw with a fire-wood buck, sickle-bar cutter, and more. It was kept in an equipment shed out of the weather. When Uncle Junior died, there was nobody living on the farm for awhile. I told my Mother I wanted the tractor. She said "I already sold it for $200. I was afraid someone would steal it." Someone did; I still miss that tractor.

Elkins45
05-06-2018, 01:51 PM
Out of curiosity. At what acreage do most people find they need a tractor and what’s the biggest job (s) they do with it?

I bought one when we moved onto seven acres because I wanted to not have to run a lawnmower over that much territory. I let quite a bit of it grow up and now only bushhog it just a couple of times a year. I also bought a 3 point tiller and expanded my garden quite a bit beyond what I could do with a 5hp rototiller.

One piece of advice: nobody ever bought a tractor and then regretted having too much horsepower. A second piece of advice: even if you don’t think you need a loader you will be amazed how useful it is when you have one. And a third piece: when you get the loader spend a few hundred extra and get the quick attach version so you can add a set of forks or a blade later.

My tractor is a Kubota L3800. 38 flywheel/35 PTO horsepower, and I went with the geared shuttle transmission. Less to go wrong than a hydro, and cheaper. If I anticipated a whole bunch of loader work I might consider hydro, but for field mowing and plowing I prefer the simpler option.

Oh, one last thing: you probably want 4wd in a compact tractor, unless you have nothing but hard, flat ground. I have hills I couldn’t mow without 4wd.

For many years Dads main tractor was an International farmall 400 made in the 50s and we used it into the 90s. This was a 40-45 hp tractor and basically a new improved M. It did a great job on the 40 acres. Regular maintence ( oil changes, spark plugs, filters, and keeping fluids topped up) and this equipment runs forever.

My Dad used a early 50’s Farmall Super C until 2004. It had seen so much use all the teeth were worn off the flywheel and we had to crank start it. It was still running when he died in 2010.

rancher1913
05-06-2018, 02:38 PM
Our family farm had a Ford 8n that I grew up with. It had everything, hay rake, plow, disk, belt-driven cross-cut saw with a fire-wood buck, sickle-bar cutter, and more. It was kept in an equipment shed out of the weather. When Uncle Junior died, there was nobody living on the farm for awhile. I told my Mother I wanted the tractor. She said "I already sold it for $200. I was afraid someone would steal it." Someone did; I still miss that tractor.

anytime you want to relive your childhood, come see me and I will put you to work with a 2n and all your forementioned attached. we use the saw every year but other wise the tractor is retired.

Petrol & Powder
05-06-2018, 02:45 PM
I did my time with the Ford 8N.
Not a bad machine for what it was but things are a lot better these days.

merlin101
05-06-2018, 03:17 PM
I have a small Kubota B6000 from the 70's with a 3pt mower & back blade & tiller. I use it at my camp and groom about a 1/3mile of dirt road, it works hard dragging rocks and dirt up the hill but it keeps coming back for more. It's only a 2cyl diesel with about 15HP I'd love to have something bigger but can't justify it.

MyFlatline
05-06-2018, 05:12 PM
For what it is worth, I bought a 25 hp Kubota with a front loader a few years ago. Was worried it would not be strong enough. It is absolutely amazing. I have a grapple rake on the front 99.9% of the time. The next size up had to had the new emission control garbage so I opted for this one. No regrets whatsoever.

Blanket
05-06-2018, 08:21 PM
Our family farm had a Ford 8n that I grew up with. It had everything, hay rake, plow, disk, belt-driven cross-cut saw with a fire-wood buck, sickle-bar cutter, and more. It was kept in an equipment shed out of the weather. When Uncle Junior died, there was nobody living on the farm for awhile. I told my Mother I wanted the tractor. She said "I already sold it for $200. I was afraid someone would steal it." Someone did; I still miss that tractor. want to buy another????

Hardcast416taylor
05-06-2018, 08:29 PM
I bought a Kubota L3400 with a front bucket, rear 6` scraper blade and a 60" 3 point hitch rear mower about 9 years back. I don`t do farming now that I`m retired and this hydro drive tractor does all I want it to do besides mowing about 5 acres and snow moving. My BIL and I made a set of rear tire chains from several sets of chains from his semi driving days to help the 4 wheel drive on ice.Robert

samari46
05-06-2018, 10:46 PM
orangetractorforums.com for Kubota tractors. I too have an older pre tier 4 without the emissions junk. Love the front loader on mine. Does have 4wd and do not get stuck in the mud.If worse comes to worse, shut down the bushog raise it up to get more weight on the rear wheels, engage 4wd and drop the bucket so the front end of the loader is all the way back in the mud. Engage the 4wd and reverse the tractor will most likely take a few tries but you will get out of the mud. Louisiana has gumbo mud. Frank

Tatume
05-07-2018, 07:11 AM
anytime you want to relive your childhood, come see me and I will put you to work with a 2n and all your forementioned attached. we use the saw every year but other wise the tractor is retired.

Thank you for your kind offer. I wish I could.

Shepherd2
05-07-2018, 07:19 AM
When we sold the farm and retired to a smaller place I sold my 2 tractors. The new place is big enough to need a small tractor and having had a 35 HP TYM tractor I bought a sub compact 25 HP TYM with front loader. The dealer said it would operate a 60" bush hog. I was leery but he was right. It does it with ease. BTW TYM manufactures the Mahindra tractors.

AK Caster
05-07-2018, 08:41 AM
We own 40+ acres with a long gravel road. I am in the market for a 4x4 tractor in the mid 30 HP rating. It must have a front end loader, back hoe and then I will buy a box blade for it. It will likely never see brush or grass cutting. Looks like it will end up costing me about $35K. I will look for a used one for awhile. If I dont find one will consider new down the road.

Right now am looking at a Kubota L3901 with FEL and back hoe. Priced at approx $34K.

Elkins45
05-07-2018, 12:45 PM
Since you want a backhoe, make sure you look for one that is mounted to the tractor frame or a dedicated subframe. I hear horror stories about aftermarket 3 point mounted backhoes causing damage to the tractor.