PDA

View Full Version : Scrap yard find

Mjdd23
05-06-2018, 08:24 AM
I believe I have found a dependable source of lead.
About a month and a half ago I stopped at a scrap yard not far from my girl friends house and inquired about purchasing some lead and the guy pointed to a 55 gallon drum right next to the scale. Imagine my surprise when I looked into the drum and sitting scattered on top were lead ingots, cast boolits and jacketed 30 cal and 45 cal bullets!
I picked out 35 lbs of lead and asked him how much and he said it was .65 a pound! What a great price I said I would return when I had more time.
I went back yesterday and found more ingots,1stick of bar solder,1 ingot of wiping solder a few rolls of old solder and plenty of soft lead.
1 bought 100 lbs. How much I asked and unfortunately the price had gone up! Oh no I thought now they got me but it was only .75 a lb. I paid and asked if he had any pewter or tin and I'm not sure if he understood but said to go check the shed. I didn't find any tin but by the door was a drum of clip on wheel weight about three quarters full. I asked him if it was the same price for the coww and he said no the price is lower for this lead.
I was running late so I told him I would return.
I hope this scrap yard doesn't close up any time soon because this is a fantastic find for lead and good prices.

Mjdd23
05-06-2018, 08:30 AM

Mjdd23
05-06-2018, 08:31 AM

ioon44
05-06-2018, 08:34 AM
Buy the whole 55 gal drum while you can.

rancher1913
05-06-2018, 08:46 AM
the big bar with the writing on it looks like babbit, you might get it checked before you melt it, it makes good boolits but a little goes a long way.

jsizemore
05-06-2018, 09:07 AM
I'm always leery of non-foundry ingots. I test them with HCl acid for Zn. I've always got the money in the wallet incase I run up on that 55gal drum of Pb. You don't run up on those often. You need to stop by the scrapyard AFTER seeing your girlfriend. She may want some of your lead. I don't share my food or lead.

Mjdd23
05-06-2018, 10:32 AM
The big one says
Dodge Manufacturing Company
Mishawaka Ind.
Would it feel harder if it were made of Babbitt?
It was my girl who suggested I stop by this yard for lead. She's awesome when it comes to hunting for lead and pewter and she has developed a good eye for spotting pewter in thrift shops and flea markets. If I could only get her to come to the range and shoot with me.

rancher1913
05-06-2018, 11:14 AM
defiantly Babbitt but their formula is secret according to their sales literature. get it checked before you use it or list it on fleabay and use the money to buy a larger quantity of lead.

D Crockett
05-06-2018, 11:20 AM
Mjdd23 if you want your girl to go to the range with you. every time you go and come home tell what a great time you had. do this every time you go and when you not going tell her honey lets go have some fun at the range. sooner or later she will break down and go. now here the tricky part. if she has never shot a gun start her out on a 22lr something that not going to kick the heck out of her do that a few times she will be hooked. that what I did with my wife 25 years ago now she loves to go to the range. I hope this works as good for you as it did for me. D Crockett

Mjdd23
05-06-2018, 11:23 AM
Maybe i will get it tested then.
Between the local lead i have found and the approximately 200 lbs I've bought from the swapping and selling forum here I have at least 400 lbs accumulated. I could always use more tin/pewter though.

Mjdd23
05-06-2018, 05:32 PM
Mjdd23 if you want your girl to go to the range with you. every time you go and come home tell what a great time you had. do this every time you go and when you not going tell her honey lets go have some fun at the range. sooner or later she will break down and go. now here the tricky part. if she has never shot a gun start her out on a 22lr something that not going to kick the heck out of her do that a few times she will be hooked. that what I did with my wife 25 years ago now she loves to go to the range. I hope this works as good for you as it did for me. D Crockett

I may have to give that a try. The weather here is warming up so I will get my buddy and his girlfriend to go along with us so there will be another lady in the group.
I hope she doesn't like it too much though. I may have to take her all the time and then she'll want her own gun then I'll have to make her ammo! It would be fun though.

D Crockett
05-07-2018, 12:43 PM
now you are on the right track. in my case my wife picked out 3 of my guns and clamed them. as far as ammo goes she picked ones that I already reload for so ammo is not a problem I also cast for them to and ammo cost are not that big of a deal. I hope this plan works for you and she ends up liking to shoot D Crockett

lightman
05-08-2018, 09:06 PM
That sounds like a good source! I would stop by pretty often looking for solder. I would be trying to find a way to get that barrel of weights too! None of the yards around here will sell to the public. Good Luck getting the Wife to shoot with you.

Mjdd23
05-08-2018, 11:01 PM
I have stopped by twice and both times I've come away with a good value deal in my eyes. I need to go back and sort through the drum of wheel weights and find out how much he wants for those. My kids are getting worried because I'm hoarding lead and they think I have enough. I think I should keep buying at least a little at a time.
My girl said she's going to come to the range so I have to make it a pleaser experience for her.

D Crockett
05-08-2018, 11:18 PM
Mjdd23 this is the make it or break it time. if you ever want to get her back to the range after this time she had better have a great time. one trick I did with my wife. I get her target beside mine and ever once in a while I would hit the bulls eye on her target and let her think she did it. and she fell for it hook line and sinker. she could not weight to get back to the range after that. D Crockett

Markopolo
05-09-2018, 12:13 AM
Lol at Crockett... funny you should mention that trick... I tried that but got busted once... but the wife diddnt care, she just moved her target!!!!

texasnative46
05-09-2018, 01:32 AM
To All,

IF you want to keep all your firearms, do NOT let your daughter/wife/GF/etc. find out how much FUN that shooting is.
(So far introducing my lady & adult daughter to shooting has cost me my Makarov pistol that I EDC for a decade plus & my treasured Model 7615P carbine.)

CHUCKLE.

yours, tex

Mjdd23
05-09-2018, 03:57 AM
She may surprise me by being a good shot with out having to resort to target trickery!
And if she really does get into it SHE can buy a gun or two then I'll have more to shoot:bigsmyl2:

marek313
05-09-2018, 12:52 PM
To All,

IF you want to keep all your firearms, do NOT let your daughter/wife/GF/etc. find out how much FUN that shooting is.
(So far introducing my lady & adult daughter to shooting has cost me my Makarov pistol that I EDC for a decade plus & my treasured Model 7615P carbine.)

CHUCKLE.

yours, tex

Thats so true. My wife claimed my FNX45 and my daughter claimed my Ruger GP100 MC. Little surprised that she likes wheel guns so much but I'm with her on that one. She'll go through a 100 box of my mild 357s in no time.

texasnative46
05-09-2018, 01:12 PM
Marek313,

My lady "adopted" my 7615P carbine (I had looked for one for well over 2 years.), as "It's just my size. I'm keeping it."
and
My adult daughter came in the house one afternoon, saw my little MAK in its holster & opined, "This little gun is WAY too girly for you to carry. I think I'll borrow it."
(The only time in the last year that I've seen the MAK, it was in the right rear pocket of a pair of size 6 CHIC jeans. = I finally gave up & bought myself a compact Sig-Sauer, as daughters seem to believe that, "What's mine is mine & what's Daddy's is mine too".)

yours, tex

ghh3rd
06-15-2018, 12:52 AM
I finally coaxed my wife out to the range recently and she had fun, although the big boomers nearby rattled her some. She shot my Ruger SR22 and Mark III Hunter with red dot on top. She liked the light weight SR 22, and the red dot, and wants me to put a red dot on the SR 22. Had to explain that it wouldn’t work out on the SR 22... now if I can get her used to iron sights she’ll be good to go.

She surprised me when she said she told her dad she wants to get her late grandmothers Colt Woodsman 22 from him.

By the way on the way home she actually said that she found shooting relaxing! which I have said for years, and she never understood. Life is good...

mattw
06-15-2018, 09:26 AM
Could not agree more! My 15 yo is trying to take over my 22TCM 1911 and my very smoothly functioning Phoenix Arms HP22A.