PDA

View Full Version : I scored!!

Schreck5
05-03-2018, 05:08 PM
A Turkey fryer in excellent shape. Been looking for a used one for a few years now. Found this one CHEAP at an estate sale not 5 min. from my house. To say I am happy is an understatement! Smelting lead by bending over a wood fire, with a bad back, in the city, gets old really quick.:grin::grin:

jeepyj
05-03-2018, 05:19 PM
If your is anything like mine you'll be able to make short works of cleaning up your stash. Congratulations.

Schreck5
05-03-2018, 05:38 PM
I have about 150 lbs of range scrap and a other 35 lbs of old lead pipe that I have been dreading to smelt. That means A LOT of work using a wood fire. Gotta keep the fire going good and hot without burning down the neiborbood plus all the normal smelting activities. Th is fryer will make things SO much easier.

Schreck5
05-03-2018, 05:55 PM
And things just keep getting better!! A very close friend of mine just said he had an extra tank he would give me! God is surely blessing me today!

lightman
05-03-2018, 09:20 PM
You will wonder why it took you so long to switch over. Now you will need more lead, more ingot molds and more storage space!

wjham77
05-04-2018, 01:48 AM
I bought this high pressure burner(turkey fryer) for around $15 online,(amazon-ebay-walmart.com) wich clams to be 119,000btu. I already had a high pressure regulator and hose. These are sold as replacements, so some cheaper models didnt have the brass nipple/orifice thing. I made sure the one i ordered did. I use concrete blocks to support the burner and pot ala rocketstove style

gwpercle
05-07-2018, 06:10 PM
A Turkey fryer in excellent shape. Been looking for a used one for a few years now. Found this one CHEAP at an estate sale not 5 min. from my house. To say I am happy is an understatement! Smelting lead by bending over a wood fire, with a bad back, in the city, gets old really quick.:grin::grin:

Don't forget...now that you have the burner, get a turkey frying pot...if you've never had a deep fried turkey all injected with seasonings and fried golden brown you missing out big time.
Get a turkey frying pot that has a little drain spout on the side....makes clean up much easier.
Do a search on Cajun Injector...it just may change your life !
Gary

copdills
05-07-2018, 07:05 PM
congrats , it will make life better

gpidaho
05-07-2018, 07:14 PM
So glad to see the simple things bring pleasure to a fellow Booliteer. Campfire smelting is just plain hard work. Gp

murf205
05-07-2018, 09:18 PM
Don't forget...now that you have the burner, get a turkey frying pot...if you've never had a deep fried turkey all injected with seasonings and fried golden brown you missing out big time.
Get a turkey frying pot that has a little drain spout on the side....makes clean up much easier.
Do a search on Cajun Injector...it just may change your life !
Gary
It changed mine. Now I can't fit into last years jeans! BUT.....the turkey is the best I ever had.

D Crockett
05-07-2018, 10:15 PM
I bought this high pressure burner(turkey fryer) for around $15 online,(amazon-ebay-walmart.com) wich clams to be 119,000btu. I already had a high pressure regulator and hose. These are sold as replacements, so some cheaper models didnt have the brass nipple/orifice thing. I made sure the one i ordered did. I use concrete blocks to support the burner and pot ala rocketstove styleI don't know if you know this or not but those blocks will give away with out warning when real hot and have weight on them pm me and we can work out something about getting you a strong steel stand so you do not get hurt D Crockett

Arkansas Paul
05-07-2018, 10:27 PM
I can't tell you how many hundreds of pounds of wheel weights I smelted in a 10# Lyman pot.
Then we got a turkey fryer and good grief the difference in time. I can't believe I used a 10# pot for so long. lol

wjham77
05-07-2018, 10:33 PM
I don't know if you know this or not but those blocks will give away with out warning when real hot and have weight on them pm me and we can work out something about getting you a strong steel stand so you do not get hurt D Crockett
Yeah, they started to crack already. Been thinking on a more permanent solution. Pm inbound