PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SR1911 rear sight replacement

respiegel
05-03-2018, 04:05 PM
So I’ve been working up a load for my .45 ACPs and I seem to be hitting low on the target. So I can keep working on it, but I feel like to get my POI to line up with my POA i’ll end up with more recoil than I’m looking for, so who makes a adjustable Novak rear sight that people like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Char-Gar
05-03-2018, 04:47 PM
There are several reasons why the handgun would impact low. The first reason that comes to mind is the way you hold it or the way you look at the sights.

The Ruger 1911 is a fine pistol and will hit dead on with factory/military 230 grain loads.

The 1911 is not a hard recoiling pistol with standards loads. Many women shoot it with deadly accuracy with such loads, so do some children. Unless there is some physical handicap, I would suggest you learn to shoot the pistol with the ammo it was designed for.

Eddie17
05-03-2018, 05:52 PM
I think at some point in production they lowered the front site to .185” from .240”. These exact numbers are a guess, but they did lower the factory front site to allow the gun to shoot higher.
I have a SR1911 with the taller front site that I continue to shoot low. Will be swapping out to the newer, shorter front site. To correct low site picture!

respiegel
05-03-2018, 10:40 PM
Eddie17:
Good point, I measured mine and it was 0.205 to the top of the slide so it looks like I have a tall front sight as well. Might be worth while to get both front and rear replaced to ensure enough adjustment range.

Char-Gar:
I'm looking for a lower recoiling round for faster follow up, both loads I worked up shoot great out of my Glock and are grouping well out of both guns, but the Glock hits at POA and the Ruger does not. I'm simply looking for a way to get the bullets where I want them without some crazy holdover.

reddog81
05-03-2018, 11:17 PM
Hitting low means the velocity is too high. Use a heavier bullet or less powder.

respiegel
05-04-2018, 08:46 AM
Hitting low means the velocity is too high. Use a heavier bullet or less powder.

I think they’re running cool not hot, I’m using 230gr and starting loads seated a little long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bobthenailer
05-04-2018, 09:52 AM
Check out Dawson precision ! they have many options

Greg S
05-04-2018, 11:48 AM
Cheaper to change out front sight or, regulate it for desired POI with a safed file set up for front sight filing.

Tatume
05-04-2018, 12:35 PM
KC can regulate your sights for you. His prices are reasonable and his turn-around is quick.

https://kcskustomcreations.com/