PDA

View Full Version : 357 Mag Ammo from the 70's?

Bareen
05-03-2018, 11:28 AM
I know it should shoot just fine, but what do all of you think of shooting ammo that was manufactured in (I'm assuming) the 70's? One of my grandfathers was a LEO back in the day and when the department switched from carrying 357's to Glocks, he ended up being given a bunch of 357 mag ammo. My grandfather doesn't shoot much anymore and mostly shot 38 specials, 45's and rifles, so he is giving me the 357 ammo he has. He says they are pretty hot, but I haven't tried any yet. They are not reloads, all of them I have seen are nickel plated brass, hollow points, and headstamped either R-P 357 Magnum or WW Super 357 Magnum. I know the R-P is Remington, and the WW Super is one of Winchester's brands.

I'm not worried about them being safe to shoot or anything, I'm more curious if there are any major differences in recoil or velocity with ammo from 50 years ago versus ammo today and if there is any other reason I shouldn't shoot them. I don't think they are collectible or anything only being 40-50 years old for a fairly popular caliber.

I can post pictures in a few hours when I get off work and make it home.

tazman
05-03-2018, 11:38 AM
I have a ammo can full of similar ammo I found when I moved and would also be interested in the answer to this question.

marlin39a
05-03-2018, 11:59 AM
I've got Supervels, S&W, and other factory ammo from the 70's. I shoot it now and then. Heck, it's not old. 1970's was just yesterday.

Bareen
05-03-2018, 12:00 PM
I have a ammo can full of similar ammo I found when I moved and would also be interested in the answer to this question.

I was given 100 rounds to try out last time I went over to help him with something and he has a shelf maybe 18"x36" stacked full of 357 and 38 special ammo, mostly 357. Said I could have all of it if I wanted. He is getting out of reloading completely and only shoots a little bit, so a lot of his stuff he is giving to me because I am the only family member that reloads, and one of the few that shoot a lot.

Kraschenbirn
05-03-2018, 12:38 PM
FWIW, I've got a small quantity of Super Vel .357s (110 gr. JHPs) leftover from the early 70s and that stuff is loaded HOT(!)...I mean like really flat primers in an OM Blackhawk...and, IIRC, Winchester marketed some 'law enforcement only' stuff around that time that was more than a bit past 'warm', too.

Bill

357Mag
05-03-2018, 12:42 PM
Bareen -

Howdy !

IMHO - GO ahead and shoot the stuff.

*** IF you should happen to carry a .357Mag for self defense, you might want to load it w/ Remington 125JHPs ( if you have any ); as that load had/has the best one-shot stopping record from the '70s. ***

If I could find any more of those, it'd be what I keep in the cylinder of my 4" M-520 custom heavy barrel.

I also DK whether you have any of the older Winchester 140gr " Silvertip " .357Mag stuff ? Those were a slightly lower recoiling
alternative to the potent 125JPH ammo; albeit their rating was around 420ft lb up close.

With regards,
357Mag

merlin101
05-03-2018, 12:57 PM
I'd be grabbing that just as quick as I could all the while saying Thanks grandpa, is there anything I can do for you?
That stuff will feel hotter but that wouldn't bother me at all.

Bareen
05-03-2018, 01:07 PM
IF you should happen to carry a .357Mag for self defense, you might want to load it w/ Remington 125JHPs ( if you have any ); as that load had/has the best one-shot stopping record from the '70s. ***

If I could find any more of those, it'd be what I keep in the cylinder of my 4" M-520 custom heavy barrel.

I also DK whether you have any of the older Winchester 140gr " Silvertip " .357Mag stuff ? Those were a slightly lower recoiling
alternative to the potent 125JPH ammo; albeit their rating was around 420ft lb up close.

I believe all of the rounds I have been given are 125gr JHP. I'll take some pics when I get home. Most of the 100 I have so far are Remington, at least 75 of them. And yes, I do plan on carrying a 357, just waiting on IL to send me my card saying that I can carry. If it stops raining this weekend, I'll shoot some and report back how they shot.

Bareen
05-03-2018, 01:10 PM
I'd be grabbing that just as quick as I could all the while saying Thanks grandpa, is there anything I can do for you?
That stuff will feel hotter but that wouldn't bother me at all.

It feeling hot won't bother me. I'm not all that recoil sensitive. And I told him that I'll gladly take all of the ammo and reloading stuff he wants to give me. :)

reddog81
05-03-2018, 01:54 PM
Anything American made and newer than WW2 should be fine assuming it was stored in a reasonable manner.

Are there boxes of ammo or is it all loose? If it's in boxes the value is probably similar to stuff being made today - $20 to $30 per 50 maybe a bit more if it's something special, If it's loose the collector value would be gone and the value would be significantly lower.

Bareen
05-03-2018, 02:04 PM
Anything American made and newer than WW2 should be fine assuming it was stored in a reasonable manner.

Are there boxes of ammo or is it all loose? If it's in boxes the value is probably similar to stuff being made today - $20 to $30 per 50 maybe a bit more if it's something special, If it's loose the collector value would be gone and the value would be significantly lower.

It's basically loose. None of it is in the original boxes, but I didn't think any of it had collector value, being that its not exactly rare ammo, nor is it particularly 'old' as far as ammo goes. And yes it has been stored indoors. It all looks basically brand new aside from some slight discoloration on the projectiles. The cases are nickle plated and look perfect.

tazman
05-03-2018, 03:01 PM
Mine is still in the original boxes which are all in great condition.
It was all stored inside a sealed 50 cal military ammo can.
Some still has the original price tags on it.
I just don't remember how old it is. I do know I have had it a long time.
It got lost in my basement many years ago. It just resurfaced about 2 years ago.

odette
05-03-2018, 03:01 PM
I am shooting some Herters 220 Swift and 375 H&H my grandpa bought in early 70's, it shoots just fine. He also left a lot of ammo that he reloaded that is dated from 1977 to 1996 and as long as the brass looks good and corrosion free I shoot it. There is several unopened powder cans, DuPont, Winchester 785, Hercules in cardboard containers, Hogdon in rectangle cardboard containers. DuPont cans have $8.55 on price tags from 1978 when he opened his gun and reloading shop

LUBEDUDE
05-03-2018, 03:35 PM
I have some 357 from the 70s, remember S&W ammo? I gave no second thought using it in a match.

metricmonkeywrench
05-03-2018, 03:44 PM
Heck, ill be the guy to go the other way, if its still factory loads shoot a box or two to confirm they still function and sit on the rest for SD ammo, those loads may not be as available anymore and anything marked self defense or law enforcement come with a higher price tag.

If its loose spring for a few of the plastic ammo boxes and use the remaining loose not matched for the range.

JimB..
05-03-2018, 04:46 PM
I’ve recently been using up reloads from the early 1970’s, your factory loads will be just fine. People often say that the older loads were hotter than today’s loads, but I don’t know if that’s really true or if powder characteristics tended toward more flash and bang than today’s loads.

contender1
05-03-2018, 10:23 PM
If it's collectable,,, it may be worth it to keep it & sell it for a fair sum. If not,,, shoot the stuff. I shoot factory ammo I find for my 256 Win in my Hawkeye pistol, and much of that stuff is from the 1960's!

skeettx
05-03-2018, 10:39 PM
Shoot it, mostly in an "N" frame and maybe some in a "K" frame.

Or shoot in a Desert Eagle semi-auto, what fun
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/767578529

All will be well
Mike