PDA

View Full Version : 45 acp with zinc washers

jim 44-40
05-02-2018, 05:01 AM
Shot the hipoint 45,with new load using Harvey proto x bore 45 acp bullets, 7.0 grs of unique produced outstanding accuracy,will get back with pics of groups, I'm thinking velocity is 1000 fps, had medium level recoil, and zero leading

SciFiJim
05-02-2018, 08:51 PM
Zinc washers were used before gas checks were fully developed. They work, but are more difficult to cast with. If I remember right, you had to place the washer in a slot for it in the mold and then cast the boolit. Unless you heated the washer sufficiently before casting, it would be easy to get voids or incomplete fill out.

Also, 1k fps for 45acp should do fine without gas checks or zinc washers.

I am not criticizing, it's fun to play around with concepts new to us. Glad it worked for you!

GhostHawk
05-02-2018, 09:10 PM
I have 3 Hipoint Carbines and the .45acp is the newest and most loved. That girl is just plain fun.

Stan_TN
05-03-2018, 12:18 AM
High Point carbine is a lot of fun - inexpensive and lifetime warranty.

clearcut
05-03-2018, 01:53 AM
I shoot a Hi-point lc9 and love it

CC

lotech
05-03-2018, 08:44 AM
I've worked with the Harvey moulds and zinc washers, but it's been a few years. The original zinc washers weren't always a consistent diameter, but if they fit a bore, they worked very well and provided good accuracy without leading.

It's a different and interesting way to make bullets, but I got rid of all my Harvey stuff some year ago. If these bullets offered any advantage over conventional designs that are less trouble to make, I failed to see it.