PDA

View Full Version : Great Score Today

KY_Hill_Billy
05-01-2018, 09:33 PM
Hi all,

A co-worker came through for me today. She remodels / flips houses on the side and I asked her to keep an eye out for lead flashing, pipe, etc since I cast my own bullets. She said she had a big lead "door stop" that she would bring me. A couple of weeks later, today, she finally remembered to bring it in. I was expecting a 15-20 lb block, but no, this thing weighs 54.2 lbs! I suspect it's pure lead, and can't wait to cast some to get a better idea of content.

Good luck to you all in your search.

KY_Hill_Billy

CastingFool
05-01-2018, 09:37 PM
That is a great score, but because of the nsme on it, I would keep it intact.

rancher1913
05-01-2018, 09:41 PM
save that for a last resort, might be worth more whole than as boolits

Nueces
05-01-2018, 09:44 PM
I thought they wuz closed...

KY_Hill_Billy
05-01-2018, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I didn't know what that meant until I Googled it while ago. Kinda interesting to have something possibly from the last primary lead smelter in the United States. However, I like boolits better. I will hold on to it until I run through my other 150'ish pounds. Plus my Dad brings me roof flashing on occasion. Regardless, it will be a while before I need the Doe Run lead as a pound goes a long way in the Lee 356-95 mold...

KY_Hill_Billy

472x1B/A
05-01-2018, 10:07 PM
That is a great score, but because of the nsme on it, I would keep it intact.

Am just wondering why it should be kept intact? Will there be a wanting someday by a collector? I have one that weighs 92 lbs with 1 1/2 inch drilled holes in each end.

MaryB
05-01-2018, 10:54 PM
Doe Run went out of business(enviro whackos forced it) so it may be a collectible in a few years... I would stash it and use it as a last resort.

bangerjim
05-02-2018, 10:58 AM
Yes, it could be a collector's item. Doe Run is now shut down from all I can see. And that bar looks to be vintage due to the color. I sure would not melt it down for a few measly boolits when it sound like you have other sources of Pb.

I hate to see all this foundry and mono type on here melted down. Those are a part of history and are somewhat valuable....if in COMPLETE font sets. Definitely more than boolits. I have MANY complete font sets (upper/lower, symbols, numbers) from 8pt to 120pt in over 40 type drawers and will never melt that down! I use them in my antique printing presses and hot foil stamping machines. When I am gone, they all go to a museum for display, with the presses.

But I would not melt that Doe Run ingot down. It is near-perfect condition with NO holes drilled in it. Holes ruin any intrinsic collector value.

jdfoxinc
05-02-2018, 01:50 PM
Only the smelter is shut down. Doerun is one of the biggest miming corps. In the US.

Jniedbalski
05-02-2018, 06:12 PM
Doerun is close to me probably 40 miles north. If you want to check out how they prosessed and made lead check out a video on u tube called a story of lead. I thank it was filmed in 48 or 49. It is amazing all the work that goes into it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HhdkkdsvTM

Jniedbalski
05-02-2018, 06:15 PM
And forgot to add this film is from doerun in se Missouri.

Petrol & Powder
05-02-2018, 06:16 PM
Doe Run went out of business(enviro whackos forced it) so it may be a collectible in a few years... I would stash it and use it as a last resort.

Or wait until the collector's market appears and cast a bunch of duplicates with the same logo
:kidding:

Walter Laich
05-02-2018, 06:30 PM
If it were mine I would probably hang on to it but is lead after all

KY_Hill_Billy
05-02-2018, 09:44 PM
Like I said, I'll hold it for last and may not need it at all. Furthermore, I can afford to buy bullets, but I like casting my own. Even at $3 per pound for the collector value, I'd rather be able to make almost 3,900 of my own bullets (remember, Lee 95).

Thank you all for the information regarding Doe Run.
For sure, there will be no market for this where I live and I would hate to see the shipping costs to mail it to a buyer.

KY_Hill_Billy

copdills
05-03-2018, 04:55 AM
yep great score , congrats

lightman
05-03-2018, 08:20 AM
Nice Score! Networking really does work when scrounging for lead. And thats a cool looking piece to own. I try to not melt anything that may have more value then what its weight is worth as scrap. I've found new dive weights and decoy weights that I have given away rather than melt down. I have mixed feelings about melting pewter for the same reasons. I also understand how bangerjim feels about melting type. But, to each his own! You can't keep and collect everything. Hopefully your co-worker will end up being a good source for you.