PDA

View Full Version : Rust removal trial succeeds

Typecaster
09-11-2008, 04:56 PM
A few years ago I bought a gallon of liquid rust remover from Gempler's, and finally gave it a try. I bought a couple of toolboxes (with tools); one had obviously been full of water, but they were cheap.

I put the square and plane in a plastic tub, added the rust remover, and let it sit at room temp for a couple of hours. The frozen parts could be disassembled, so I let them soak for another couple of hours. Then I gave everything a little scrub with a Scotchbrite green pad—WOW! What I thought was a Woolworth's combination square that was rusted solid is really a Starrett! The plane cleaned up well...so I dropped in the tap wrenches, with photos this time, let 'em soak till I could unscrew the collet, then let all the parts soak a little longer.

I'm satisfied with the results, at least to regain the function of tools. The stuff didn't affect the japanned plane (I didn't have anything blued that was expendable to see if it removed bluing like phosphoric acid). The solution seems to darken/grey the surface a little, but I didn't really try to polish/steel wool anything. It's pretty easy—soak, scrub a little, rinse in water, dry, and shoot it with RemOil or something.

I never had good luck with naval jelly (phosphoric acid)...don't like the gunk that builds up or the smell. The jug says this doesn't have "organic acids," but the MSDS doesn't give any info on what's in it.

Anybody else tried this stuff, especially compared to electrolytic rust removal?

Richard

Molly
09-11-2008, 07:00 PM
What's the name of that solution? Looks like good stuff.

Typecaster
09-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Molly—

Here ya go—http://www.gemplers.com/product/R425/1-qt-GEMPLERS-Rust-Remover

Be forewarned—once you order online, you'll be on Gempler's e-mail list forever (about 2x a month)r. OTOH, if you're lonely, that's not all bad.

Richard

walltube
09-12-2008, 09:46 AM
for your post and the link. I am duly impressed with your pictured successes. Looks like I have at last found something similar to EVAPORUST in greater quantities than 32 oz @ $10.00 each. :roll:

A few questions for you about this stuff, if you will, please:

Kind to the skin, need nitrile gloves?

Odor, fumes?

Good for other metals other than ferrous?

TiA,

Harold

Typecaster
09-12-2008, 12:22 PM
walltube—
1. Seems kind to the skin, slightly alkaline (feels a little slippery). I didn't use gloves, and I don't think the instructions even suggested them (there's a link to a "how-to" on Gempler's site). BUT...when you take the items out of the solution they have a light coating of grey "slime." It may be the what used to be the rust, but when you rub it off with the green pad, it'll also get on your hands. Gloves would prevent that if you're got a date. The stains didn't wash off my hands with soap & water, but seemed to after I had a shower.

2. No fumes until you use it. Then there's a slight sulfuric odor—not bad, not too strong, but an odor. I wouldn't hesitate to use it indoors. Actually, I did.

3. Can't speak to nonferrous. It probably would work for rust stains on stainless or aluminum (iron or steel will leave a rust mark on stainless).

As I said, I didn't have anything blued to experiment on, but it didn't affect the painted plane body. BTW, it isn't a one-use liquid. You can store it and use the same solution again, I assume until it's neutralized.

Richard

walltube
09-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Typecaster,

Typecaster,

Thanks for the reply.

Other than the slight sulfuric odor you mention, E'ORUST seems to be similar to Gempler's stuff. All else you say has me convinced I need a gallon. Or Two. :)

Y.T.,
Wt.

shotman
09-12-2008, 11:09 PM
most of the products they carry is good and shipping is very fast [for me]

PatMarlin
09-13-2008, 10:49 AM
Molly—

Be forewarned—once you order online, you'll be on Gempler's e-mail list forever (about 2x a month)r. OTOH, if you're lonely, that's not all bad.

Richard

:mrgreen: