PDA

View Full Version : Range report--Springfield Armory XD 9mm mod 2 Tactical.

tazman
05-01-2018, 09:05 PM
I recently won this pistol in a raffle at a local gun shop.219696

I made it to the range today with some factory ammo and a selection of my reloads.
I field stripped and oiled the pistol before the trip.
The mags hold 16 rounds and load smoothly. There are no rough edges on the inside of these two mags so that is a plus. The last couple of rounds I had to push harder to get them in but it wasn't a real problem. I expect after shooting them for a while they will loosen up some.
Things seem to fit well on this pistol. It isn't really intended for a target piece but it is quite tight. No rattling on the slide fit.
The sights are fiber optic on the front white dots on the rear. I had no trouble picking up the sights for quick second or third shots.
This particular pistol is a 9mm so recoil wasn't an issue with it. I was expecting a bit more recoil from the pistol due to it's light weight but the high hand position on the grip seemed to do away with most of it.
The slide seems to be quite easy to rack. Much easier than my 1911 or Taurus PT92. Not sure why that is but it is nice. The slide only needs to racked about a half inch to reset the striker. No need to eject the cartridge if you need to strike it again. That half inch is really easy to do. Very little effort involved.
It has a grip safety as well as a trigger safety. If the grip safety is not depressed, there are things on the pistol that don't work. You can't rack the slide for one. Of course the gun won't fire.
The trigger pull weighs in a 5LB on my trigger scale. It is slightly gritty and has a little bit of take up but isn't terrible. I am hoping it gets smoother with time.

Now to the shooting.
I ran 150 rounds of various ammo through the pistol with no failures to feed, fire, or eject. Perfect score.
The targets I am posting were all shot at 10 yards. I had a case of the twitches today so there are flyers on every target that are not the fault of the pistol. The heavy black ring measures about 3.25 inches at the outside edge.
These groups are about all the better I can do with any of my combat/service pistols and better than some. Discounting the flyers, the groups came in at around 3 inches for most loads.
The factory FMJ(white box from Winchester) came in the best with my handloads of Berry's plated 115 grain RN using Longshot a close second. The cast loads with the Lyman 356402 over Bullseye did very well also. The Lee 120 TC didn't do quite as well but was still acceptable.
The pistol shoots slightly to the left for me. Not enough to miss a chest cavity but enough to miss an eyeball. I haven't decided whether to move the sight yet or wait till it beaks in a bit more.
I will probably wait.
During shooting, I noticed that if I get my little finger into the slight crack between the magazine cap and the grip, there is enough movement there to pinch a little when I fire the pistol. Not enough to hurt but enough to notice. A slight change in grip position took care of the issue. The grip felt nice to me. This pistol is a double stack so I thought I might have an issue with the width of the grip. It was no problem at all. It hardly felt any wider than my 1911 single stack. The pistol points nicely for me also.
I cleaned the pistol after I got home and to my surprise, there was very little grime or powder fouling anywhere on the gun. The barrel was spotless inside. No leading or other fouling apparent at all. The feed ramp had a little but not enough to interfere with shooting the pistol.
Here are the targets. All the targets except the first one had 15 rounds shot into them. The first one with the WW FMJ only had 10 since I was running out of those.

This is a very nice service type pistol.

Ramjet-SS
05-01-2018, 09:24 PM
Nice review and nice win !