PDA

View Full Version : Service Model ACE Floating Chamber Mod?

therealhitman
04-30-2018, 10:29 AM
Maybe 20+ years back American Rifleman ran a piece about modifying the Ace's chamber for added reliability. It alleviated the lead/carbon fouling issue for longer cleaning intervals and reliable function. I now wish I still saved back issues but stopped and discarded the boxes many moons ago, and Dad has never saved his. Anyone have any memories, info or ideally a back issue or link to an article?

DCM
04-30-2018, 05:07 PM
I found this
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2011/6/13/colt-service-model-ace/

Is that what you are looking for?

therealhitman
04-30-2018, 10:04 PM
Thanks for that effort DCM, but no that is a recent reprint of a 1938 review article. The one I am in search of was a how-to type write up from the '70s or early '80s. I did read this one in my searches and found the reference to a "young man working entirely on his own in an auto repair shop in a small country town" amusing to say the least. Ummmmm... not quite lol. Williams was owner of a long and nefarious history beginning with being kicked out of the Blackstone Military Academy for theft of weapons and ammunition and culminating with a conviction for moonshine production and murder of a County Sheriff. He actually invented and prototyped the floating chamber design in the prison shop! His sentence was eventually commuted when he received a government contract to produce a .22 conversion for light machine gun, M1 and 1911 trainers I believe. What a life.