PDA

View Full Version : First Ribs this Year

Shiloh
04-29-2018, 09:16 PM
Finally had decent weather and the time. Came out great.

Shiloh

Moonie
04-29-2018, 09:36 PM
Was looking at ribs at the store yesterday...

Wayne Smith
04-30-2018, 04:56 PM
Brought some home from the store today!

gwpercle
04-30-2018, 05:52 PM
Nice looking ribs.....
We almost had some Sunday, wife and daughter come home with two packages or baby back's, when I opened the first , to do my dry rub thing....they didn't smell right ! The second package didn't either. The wife, who has the nose of a blood hound, confirmed my suspicions...no ribs tonight !
I kept the sales receipts and package labels ...the market will make it right...but I had my mouth set on BBQ baby back ribs and I had to settle for grilled New York Strip steak ! Bummer !!!
Gary

MyFlatline
04-30-2018, 06:20 PM
Never take a chance Gary, trust the ole snozz. I must be in the air, as the wife took out ribs for dinner tomorrow...

How many of you alls wives will smoke ribs will you are off working all day.. Mine is a true gem..

Grmps
04-30-2018, 08:25 PM
You know it's a crime to talk about ribs here and not post your recipes[smilie=l:

Shiloh
04-30-2018, 09:09 PM
Mike Mill's Magic Dust

1/2 cup/120 mL paprika
1/4 cup/60 mL kosher salt, finely ground
1/4 cup/60 mL sugar
2 tablespoons/30 mL mustard powder
1/4 cup/60 mL chili powder
1/4 cup/60 mL ground cumin
2 tablespoons/30 mL ground black pepper
1/4 cup/60 mL granulated garlic
2 tablespoons/30 mL cayenne

I use this and tweak it a bit. Been using it for several years now.
I slather the ribs with yellow mustard first, then shake this on fairly heavy. There are many many recipes for meat rubs.
Make your own. Don't buy it.

Shiloh

Wayne Smith
05-01-2018, 08:59 AM
Smoke and Spice is my go to cookbook for rubs for smoking.

reloader28
05-01-2018, 09:50 AM
"First ribs of the year"

I have heard that there are people that dont smoke or grill in winter. Never understood that as I love BBQ all year not just summer.
A few years ago my record was -10* when smoking a Christmas turkey. I beat that a couple months ago with a -17* windchill pork loin.
I'll admit it, I like BBQ:drinks:

frankenfab
05-01-2018, 05:54 PM
I have ribs almost every Tuesday or Wednesday. Baby backs or St. Louis.

Found 4 packages of beef ribs n sale for 55% of at Walmart yesterday. I will be smoking them tomorrow.
I love beef ribs, but most of the time they're not worth it for the price, since they're mostly bone. I'm not talking about plate ribs. I have to drive 35 miles to a butcher shop to get those.

MaryB
05-01-2018, 10:41 PM
I used to fire up the smoker all winter... now the older I get the less appealing standing out in the snow gets...

My favorite on ribs is rub with Smokin' Guns mild rub, mop once an hour with olive oil/apple cider vinegar.

dave524
05-03-2018, 12:01 PM
Not baby backs , but got a bunch of side ribs here for the ridiculous low price of 99 cents a pound , gonna cheat though , 25 minutes in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker , slaver them up with some Baby Rays and a few minutes under the broiler in the gas oven.

RGrosz
05-03-2018, 02:16 PM
I used to fire up the smoker all winter... now the older I get the less appealing standing out in the snow gets...

My favorite on ribs is rub with Smokin' Guns mild rub, mop once an hour with olive oil/apple cider vinegar.

You sound like me. Use to think you can't get to cold to grill out (or too wet). Now especially since the wife got sick, just as soon cook inside on the stove when the weather is bad. Maybe I'm getting too old to have fun anymore????
Rob

smokeywolf
05-03-2018, 05:56 PM
Shiloh, what kind of wood did you use?

I did a brisket last Sunday and 2 meatloaves yesterday. Meatloaves were a combination of beef, buffalo and pork. Used 80 to 90% oak and the rest hickory wood with both.

Shiloh
05-03-2018, 08:38 PM
"First ribs of the year"

I have heard that there are people that dont smoke or grill in winter. Never understood that as I love BBQ all year not just summer.
A few years ago my record was -10* when smoking a Christmas turkey. I beat that a couple months ago with a -17* windchill pork loin.

My smoker won't hold the heat in winter. If it cold and I keep the wind off of it, I can smoke meat. Dead of winter in the upper midwest?? No way unless you have a shed to put your smoker in and vent it.

Shiloh

Shiloh
05-03-2018, 08:39 PM
Shiloh, what kind of wood did you use?

I did a brisket last Sunday and 2 meatloaves yesterday. Meatloaves were a combination of beef, buffalo and pork. Used 80 to 90% oak and the rest hickory wood with both.

Red oak. I have other woods, but seem to keep going to the oak. Red and white, mostly red.

SHiloh

MaryB
05-03-2018, 09:44 PM
Red oak is my hands down favorite in a stick burner BBQ pit.

reloader28
05-04-2018, 10:24 AM
We use a lot of cottonwood here. Its all we have unless you special order wood.
I do have some apple I hoard and am going to cut down some cherry trees tomorrow that some one wants gone.

dave524
05-06-2018, 08:54 AM
Not baby backs , but got a bunch of side ribs here for the ridiculous low price of 99 cents a pound , gonna cheat though , 25 minutes in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker , slaver them up with some Baby Rays and a few minutes under the broiler in the gas oven.

Update: did them last night, rubbed them with a mixture of sea salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika, stood them on edge on the trivet in the Instant Pot with a cup of apple juice and cooked on high for 25 minutes and let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Had the broiler going in the gas oven, the ribs were fall apart tender taking them out of the pressure cooker, mopped them both sides with BBQ sauce and put them under the broiler till the sauce just started to bubble. Maybe not ribfest prize winners but sure were good for probably an hour tops prep time.

RasKebir
05-07-2018, 03:05 AM
This is our sunday lunch.
Bruschetta with tomato and a large salad accompany the meat.

Shiloh
05-10-2019, 07:53 PM
"First ribs of the year"

My light gage steel Chargriller is a MAJOR struggle to hold the heat in winter.
This is where heavy gage steel smokers shine. 1/4" and heavier.

Shiloh

RED BEAR
05-10-2019, 10:47 PM
Now them look mighty tasty. You do delivery?

MaryB
05-12-2019, 04:46 PM
First ribs of the year on and cooking, Trimmed to St. Louis cut seasoned heavy with Smokin' Guns mild rub, seasoned up the trim the same. Will pull the meat off the trim and use it for sandwiches.

Chicken got a light dusting of the same rub then an injection of 50/50 Franks hot sauce and melted butter that I mixed Ranch Dressing mix into. Sort of a Ranch Buffalo Chicken recipe and an experiment.

https://i.imgur.com/AhqkmWS.jpg

MaryB
05-12-2019, 06:04 PM
3 hours with 100% hickory in the Traeger hopper. Now resting in oven.

https://i.imgur.com/XBUvRlu.jpg

Reverend Al
05-13-2019, 01:29 PM
Let us know how the chicken experiment worked out ... curious minds want to know!

MaryB
05-13-2019, 04:28 PM
Chicken came out great, hint of heat, hint of ranch, super moist... skin of course was rubbery, I was cooking at smoking temps the entire time. Makes great cold sandwich meat! Had one before bed as a snack... I might up the amount of ranch dressing mix next time to carry more of that flavor. Hot sauce level was perfect at 50/50 butter/Franks