PDA

View Full Version : Cherry diameter in relation to bullets dropped

RugerFan
09-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Having recently acquired a 6.5mm Carcano (slugs at .268), I have been considering the purchase of the NEI mould 270-130-GC. I called NEI to inquire as to exactly what diameter these bullets would drop with what alloy? The gentlemen I spoke with told me that their moulds should drop bullets in relation to the first number (.270” in this case) using linotype. He then measured the two cherries he had on hand and said the “old” one had a diameter of .268” and the “new” one had a diameter of .273”. I could request a mould made with either cherry.

My question is what diameter bullets would those cherries drop using WW or Lyman #2?

BABore
09-11-2008, 01:54 PM
In most all cases, the cherry is larger in diameter than the dropped bullet. I've found that there are no hard-fast rules on cherry size in relation to boolit diameter. Just when I think I have a handle on it, it will bite me. Keith boolits, or ones with deep grooves will react different than a LBT-style one. Boolit length also has an effect. Same goes for block material. As a general rule, I shoot for a cherry diameter that is 0.001 to 0.0015" over in 30 cal. 458 Boolits require 0.002" over. I've also had boolits drop from the mold at the same size as the cherry. Go figure. All this is for WW's or 50/50 WW-Pb alloy in aluminum mold blocks. If I were you, I would go with the larger cherry if the other one is too close to your needs. You can size down much easier that wishin it was bigger.

leftiye
09-11-2008, 02:35 PM
A .30 cal. boolit needs a mold that is .003" larger than the desired produced diameter when the mold blocks are made from iron and you use 50/50 WW/pure alloy.. 270 (.277") cal shold be close to that much over. When confused, cut them a thou or two large (you CAN size them down). I'd utilize the larger cherry - the other one is gonna be undersized!

Shiloh
09-11-2008, 03:23 PM
A .30 cal. boolit needs a mold that is .003" larger than the desired produced diameter when the mold blocks are made from iron and you use 50/50 WW/pure alloy.. 270 (.277") cal shold be close to that much over. When confused, cut them a thou or two large (you CAN size them down). I'd utilize the larger cherry - the other one is gonna be undersized!

I only wish that several of my molds were of a larger diameter. I have several where I have acquired more that one because one drops smaller than another. All of these are aluminum LEE molds. Fortunately My undersize 311299 was sold to a friend who has a rifle that just loved the undersized boolit. I sure wish it wasn't a crapshoot when buying molds!!

Go with the one cut with the bigger cherry.

Shiloh :castmine:

Bill*
09-11-2008, 03:56 PM
I'm surprised there is a full .005" difference and they're still using it. I guess the old one (.268") was originally .273" and has worn down? Or is there that much tolerance in mold cherries? I wonder which you would get if you didn't know enough to inquire as you did. 5 thou. could mean a great deal in fitting to bore dia. Just thinkin' out loud.......Bill

Echo
09-12-2008, 02:02 AM
I'm surprised there is a full .005" difference and they're still using it. I guess the old one (.268") was originally .273" and has worn down? Or is there that much tolerance in mold cherries? I wonder which you would get if you didn't know enough to inquire as you did. 5 thou. could mean a great deal in fitting to bore dia. Just thinkin' out loud.......Bill

Probably been sharpened, and re-sharpened, and...

johnly
09-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Having recently acquired a 6.5mm Carcano (slugs at .268), I have been considering the purchase of the NEI mould 270-130-GC. I called NEI to inquire as to exactly what diameter these bullets would drop with what alloy? The gentlemen I spoke with told me that their moulds should drop bullets in relation to the first number (.270” in this case) using linotype. He then measured the two cherries he had on hand and said the “old” one had a diameter of .268” and the “new” one had a diameter of .273”. I could request a mould made with either cherry.

My question is what diameter bullets would those cherries drop using WW or Lyman #2?

I think my 6.5mm Lyman mold drops bullets close to .268" want to give it a try?

John