PDA

View Full Version : scope 94 win.

crossxsticks
09-11-2008, 10:29 AM
I got a pre 64 , 94 win 30-30 and to blind to shoot 100 with peep lol has anyone put a scope on one of these old guns , was thinking about pistol scope sit in front of action on barrel , info on what to use in way of mount and scope i would appreciate . thanks in advance.

felix
09-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Look at the UltraDot scope. Comparatively smaller. Hopefully, others here will comment about a comparison to other more normal scopes for the typical hunting application on a rifle. ... felix

Pepe Ray
09-11-2008, 11:01 AM
This is a hotly discussed subject in many places. You'll get a lot of grief from NON shooters who just can't bear to see a scope mounted on a LA Winchester. Altho it's not perfect, I'll try to post pictures of a solution for you.
I've got a couple more shots of one on an old rifle vs. carb. if you need it.
Pepe Ray

crossxsticks
09-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Pepe Ray, yep that is way i was thinkin to rig it , what is the scope and base mount you show in pic and will it adjust out to ahhh 150 yds ok i was afraid a pistol scope wouldnt adjust up far enough to do any good. what you show there looks good to me thanks , and thanks felix i will take a look at the ultra dot.

oldhickory
09-11-2008, 11:55 AM
That's a nice job Pepe.

Junior1942
09-11-2008, 12:43 PM
All pistol scopes aren't created equally. The cheaper ones are almost useless in early morning and late evening. It's about 75 yards from my living room to my mailbox. Late one afternoon I turned off the living room lights and checked all my pistol and scout scopes via looking through the front door screen at the mailbox. With a couple, I couldn't tell it was a mailbox. With others, I could tell it was a mailbox. With a Leupold 2.5x28 scout scope I could read the letters on the side of the mailbox.

That side-by-side test made me an instant Leupold fan.

Pepe Ray
09-11-2008, 03:00 PM
This is not an LER. This is an IER. I for Intermediate. A scout scope. This Burris is the first offered after Col. Cooper lit the fire. The Redding FrontIER preceded it by a decade or more.
The Burris mount is a Redding design which lost out to the Weaver in the popularity contest. The Weavers are handy but the Redding is windage adjustable. As the Burris mounts are no longer available we must adapt to what we can find. I'm thankful that I got a few spares to go on some Rossis'. The pics here are of a mount on a rifle, slightly different than a carb. mount.
Whereas it's true that the guns are now heavier, the balance is still great and the one hand side carry is totally unimpeded.
Pepe Ray

crossxsticks
09-11-2008, 05:18 PM
what about the B square rossie mount they suppost to fit a 94 win if i am understand what is says are they good ?

Pepe Ray
09-11-2008, 07:08 PM
I don't know.
I didn't know that they had reached the dealers.
Pepe Ray

kingstrider
09-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Here's a Kwik-Site side mount saddle on a post-64 model I sold a while back. It was kind of goofy being offset but you could still use the iron sights and once dialed it it would definitely shoot. Not sure if your pre-64 has the same screw pattern but this one could be removed if desired.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t138/kingstrider/model945a.jpg

crossxsticks
09-11-2008, 11:22 PM
mine is a pre 94 but it has the 2 peep sight screws on the side like that one so it prolly fit ya it looks kind of well different huh but if lit ay them in there what the heck and a rifle scope would also work with 3" eye relief guess do you know what brand it is it may be the B square mount i was refering to they said it fit 94 with peep sight screws on left side of action but didnt show it mounted i just assumed it fit on barrel .

crossxsticks
09-12-2008, 12:10 AM
kingstrider it is a b square mount on the 94 #bs14710 side mt.

Pepe i went ahead and bought the one for the rossi 64 & 59 it is #bs14410 i hope it fits on top of 94 barrel or i think i do lol look like it does will know bout next week guess LOL.

Ranch Dog
09-12-2008, 08:55 AM
My dad has been using the B-Square side mount since back in the early 70's hasn't missed much but has killed a bunch of whitetails, mule deer, antelope and other critters with that rifle.

http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/Hunting/2005/Dad%20Close%20Up.jpg

Scrounger
09-12-2008, 09:15 AM
I have a Rossi carbine, pre-Puma, I think. I want to scope it. B-Square makes the Scout-type mount. Anyone who has used this type of scope/mount much, I'd like to know how well it works, how fast it is. B-Square also makes a mount for the Puma model which attaches to the left side of the receiver, similar to their 94 Winchester mount. Whatever screw-hole it mounts to, I wonder if the pre-Puma carbines have the same hole available. Has anyone checked both models for this?

Pepe Ray
09-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Scrounger;
When you say 'Puma' your going WAY back. If you'll accept the caveat "pre safty" I'll say that the holes are all the same. No extras available for ANY kind of sight mounting. The user must do it all. Whether for receiver or tang or scope.
I've got a XS scout base setup for a Win. 94 that I'll be installing on a Rossi to try before I got to a lot of work D/T'ing. The fiberglass has a good rep for holding and if I like it I may stay with the Weaver rings.
ABOUT SPEED---
Keeping in mind that there is a learning curve whenever changing from a set routine, The scout system is as fast as you need it to be. PPMPP
Pepe Ray

AnthonyB
09-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Scrounger, I have a Win BB in 356 Winchester with the Leupold Scout scope. The custom base work was done by Brockman; I bought the rifle used. I also have the AO mount on an 1895 Marlin with a Burris IER 2x-7x. I love the concept, and both rifles are very fast on target. Tony

Scrounger
09-12-2008, 11:59 AM
OK, then I have a pre-safety Rossi; Will this B-Square Mount
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o9/artcompton/14411.jpg
( http://www.swfa.com/pc-7869-477-b-square-sporting-rifle-mount.aspx ) fit it without having to drill and tap a hole? I know this Scout Mount
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o9/artcompton/14410.jpg
( http://www.swfa.com/pc-7868-477-b-square-sporting-rifle-mount.aspx )
will fit.

spurrit
09-12-2008, 12:37 PM
The first B-square mount I ever bought will probably be the last. We're talking K-mart import crap here.

Scrounger
09-12-2008, 12:51 PM
The first B-square mount I ever bought will probably be the last. We're talking K-mart import crap here.

I THINK B-Square makes their own products in Texas; Do you KNOW otherwise?

Blammer
09-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Here's my win94. with scope :)

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/2007%20Deer/DSCN6242.jpg

Pepe Ray
09-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Scrounger;
Please don't be offended but I can't tell if this is a quiz or a joke.
If you have ,in hand, a M92 Rossi ,you should see better than I, that the holes don't appear to match up.
Furthermore the second picture gives no indication that there is slope in the contact surface of the base which will be necessary unless you have a separate block for the dovetail to elevate the base on the front end. which you'd need for a round bbl. I've never been fortunate enough to have an Octagonal bbl to consider. That should simplify things. Is that your bbl?
Jumping back and forth between receiver mounted scopes and scout scopes can make for confusion in the discussions.
Are you trying to decide between a scout vs, receiver mounted scope?
Pepe Ray

Baron von Trollwhack
09-12-2008, 04:40 PM
FWIW, I had one of the Redfield M\94 IER steel mounts NIB with a rear sight FS a while back in the swoppin' part. Still have it if it is needed. Thoughts always turn to the 30-30 as deer season comes, eh? BvT

Scrounger
09-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Here it is. Free bump.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=29228

Scrounger
09-12-2008, 06:14 PM
I can look at my receiver, I can't line up an actual mount to compare holes. No quiz, no joke. Guess I'm just not as perceptive as you...

kingstrider
09-13-2008, 05:24 AM
Hey crossxsticks, the mount was a Kwik-Site #KS-W94 as shown here:
http://www.kwiksitecorp.com/p-284-ks-w94.aspx
The cool thing about these mounts is the base and ring halves are machined from one piece of metal. I'm not a fan of the offset mount but this is a quality unit made in the U.S. Still don't know if it will work for your application but its another alternative to the B Square unit.

Just Duke
09-13-2008, 06:04 AM
Here's my win94. with scope :)

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/2007%20Deer/DSCN6242.jpg

I used to have this gun. Never seen it with a scope though. I like it!

crossxsticks
09-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Kingstrider , thanks , it does look like a good .

Baron von Trollwhack
09-13-2008, 04:12 PM
The Quick-sight was a good mount also. It fit the 94 without drilling or tapping by replacing three action screws on the left side of the action with 3 screws Quick-site provided with the mount.. It worked very nicely with something like a K-4 Weaver. BvT

Thanks Scrounger......for the bump. BvT

stillhunter
09-29-2008, 09:10 PM
If you want to go with a conventional eye releaf scope, I have a medium miles Williams base and rings (some scratches and may need some screws) that I would be happy to trade. They are windage adjustable on the front ring and position the tube left of the bore to clear ejection. For glass I like the Leupold VX 2 1X4 on my Marlin. Great field of wiew in the thickies.

REDTAIL
09-30-2008, 02:07 AM
Cross stix i have a pre 64 winchester mod 94 that my dad left me i looked into puting a scope on it the gun smith told me if you put a scope on it you will ruin the value of the gun I never herd that before so up to preasent i still have not put a scope on it, has anyone heard of anything like that i could see if they had to drill holes in the gun etc that that would bring down the value of it

missionary5155
09-30-2008, 06:26 AM
This is a hotly discussed subject in many places. You'll get a lot of grief from NON shooters who just can't bear to see a scope mounted on a LA Winchester.
Pepe Ray

So sorry Collector ! If it was so important you should have bought it before me. I am a shooter. Every shooter who ever figured out a way to make his (her) firearm better for their personal NEED did so... I can see a Trooper sitting in the swamp in Cuba saying.. OH.. one day this will be a collectors piece so I should not file off that sharp corner... You want a scope on that Winny... have at it. Any collector wants to bad mouth you ..send them on down and IŽll show then some REAL modifications they can scream about. This is AMERICA ! Home of the FREE! The Constitution sure does not say "Persuit of Life Liberty and Freedom "if it does not offend the Collectors". I may not like a scope on a Winny but hey that Winny is not mine.
Oh by the way... when ya send the Collectors down... could ya put a couple packs of large pistol primers in their bag..

bobk
09-30-2008, 06:50 AM
spurrit,
I'm with you on the B-Square. I've had several of their mounts, flimsy pieces of crap. The second mount they sent me for my HK is much more solid, but NOT quick-detachable. The Ithaca 37 mount was awful, so I fabbed spacers to fit between the mount and the receiver. After that I quit buying their stuff.

Bob K

kingstrider
06-09-2010, 09:53 PM
I traded for this 94AE a few weeks ago and had a Weaver V3 laying around so added the Leupold bases. I'm not a big fan of large scopes on a lever action rifle but small scopes like this one are ideal for the ranges I typically hunt.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t138/kingstrider/win94b.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t138/kingstrider/win94c.jpg

pietro
06-10-2010, 04:49 PM
FWIW - Regarding unconventional scoping of top-ejecting Winchester-type leverguns:

1) The XS LeverScout mount for the Winchester 94 will fit ANY Model 94 OR Model 92 (Win/Rossi/whatever) that has it's rear sight dovetail approx 4" forward of the front of the receiver (for the front base/rail anchor).
The XS rail will then need two holes D/T'd atop the front receiver ring inline with the bore to anchor the rear end of the rail.

2) Some Rossi Model 92's ( Puma/LSI/BrazTech/whatever) are D/T'd along the barrel top, UNDER the rear sight's longleaf, for Rossi's scout scope mount - but if a particular M92 or M94' barrel isn't D/T'd, it's a simple matter to do so after buying a Rossi Scout mount from their parts dept.

3) A very small, assault-rifle-type scope, like the Beeman SS!, can be mounted atop the rear half of ANY Model 92/94's bolt via D/T the bolt for a small scope base from a 2-piece scope base set meant for a rifle like the BAR.
The scope will travel with the bolt as it is cycled, ergo the need for a small/light scope.

4) Hard to find today, a few companies used to make single point bases, which held a handgun scope at either the rear dovetail slot, the rear barrel band, or clamped to the barrel between the front sight and the forend tip.

flounderman
06-13-2010, 10:00 PM
I have a handful of odd redfield bases that look like they will fit on the barrel for a scout mount. somewhere around here I think I have a williams side mount for the 94. I have a collection of the weaver side mounts and bases, also. I think the williams has the holes for the peep sight holes. Daryl

Fugowii
06-14-2010, 01:24 PM
I got a pre 64 , 94 win 30-30 and to blind to shoot 100 with peep lol has anyone put a scope on one of these old guns , was thinking about pistol scope sit in front of action on barrel , info on what to use in way of mount and scope i would appreciate . thanks in advance.

I just got this pre 64 in .32 Win Spl and it's a Redding scope (I think). It works pretty good.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i227/BP_2006/Win94.jpg

helice
06-15-2010, 01:25 AM
I have a couple of 94 AEs. I mounted 2x Weaver pistol scope on the 444 a number of years ago and I liked it a bunch. Mount was the XS Scout mount. Got it thru Brownell's. When I got the 30-30 Trapper I ordered out another XS mount. They are simple to get on an Angle Eject model as long as the "middle" sight is 4 inches away from the action. I had to rework the mount on the 444 cause the dovetail wasn't according to Hoyle. (Too close to the action.) With the older 94s you'd have to D&T the receiver ring. I didn't have any trouble getting the Weaver sighted in. The 2x pistol scope had a focus length that worked well on this set-up. The variables wouldn't work. They had to be too far forward for a sight picture. So far I'm pleased with the Weaver & the XS. Have a Burris on a bolt action. Very fine scope. Haven't decided what to put on the 30-30 Trapper.

As far as FAST goes. It's a lot faster than I am. Helice