PDA

View Full Version : Grease splatter screen

lead chucker
04-28-2018, 11:12 AM
When making black powder has any one here tried using a grease splatter screen. I tried it last night and it seemed to make a lot finer granules than the window screen. I dont have any factory powder to compare it with so not sure what F size it is. The mesh is alot finer than window screen so i expected the granules to be smaller. Any one here tried the grease platter screen. I got it at walmart you put it over your frying pan to help control the splatter when you cook with oil. Not sure what its actual name is.

Tatume
04-29-2018, 07:50 AM
I haven't, but it sounds like a great idea. It comes framed, easy use, and easy to store. Good tip!

indian joe
04-29-2018, 08:11 AM
When making black powder has any one here tried using a grease splatter screen. I tried it last night and it seemed to make a lot finer granules than the window screen. I dont have any factory powder to compare it with so not sure what F size it is. The mesh is alot finer than window screen so i expected the granules to be smaller. Any one here tried the grease platter screen. I got it at walmart you put it over your frying pan to help control the splatter when you cook with oil. Not sure what its actual name is.

I have one in my kit - about 28 mesh I think I measured - had not tried it for screening wet powder - would depend on what grain size you are trying to get the most of - dit it work for you ? - (more percentage of FFF and FFFF) - we have three muskets and a shotgun, that take Fg/musket grade, and two pistols we use FFg - so got a fair bit of room for the coarser grain powder that comes from using window screen. Be interested in your results/experience using that finer mesh to screen wet powder.

Black Jaque Janaviac
04-29-2018, 01:13 PM
Hmm.

I have a soil seive that collects dust at work. Hmmm....

lead chucker
04-29-2018, 04:38 PM
It made finer granules. I dont have any factory FFF so i dont have any thing to compare to. If H110 powder was black powder what F would it be?

indian joe
04-29-2018, 05:47 PM
It made finer granules. I dont have any factory FFF so i dont have any thing to compare to. If H110 powder was black powder what F would it be?

Dont use H110 so no idea on that but if it goes through a twenty mesh and stays on top of a forty mesh its a close approximation of FFFg ......16 to 20 for FFg ......12 to 16 for Fg ..... 40 to 100 for FFFFg ............I shake mine pretty hard - so I dont quit till it stops dropping through (or mostly stops) - commercial powder they talk about percent retained and passed on each screen .......... I think commercially they are making up their own rules as the game goes along (Swiss 1and half, Wano PPP etc)
I screened 16 kg of Chinese 4FA powder and got (roughly) 8.5 kg FFFg, 5kg FFg, 2kg Fg, .5kg FFFFg - it didnt LOOK that untidy when I started but a lot nicer when I finished

lead chucker
04-29-2018, 09:56 PM
Thanks Indian Joe that Helps a lot. I need to get a 40 mesh screen.

mooman76
04-29-2018, 10:19 PM
If you look around like in $ stores or what not, they have them screens and I'll bet some come in different meshes.

indian joe
04-30-2018, 12:08 AM
Thanks Indian Joe that Helps a lot. I need to get a 40 mesh screen.

40 mesh is common as the first size in Boom sprayers for Agriculture (40, 60, 100 usually) I had a sheet of it I inherited - otherwise it will likely be the hardest to find - termite mesh is another easy to find one but I think its about 28 mesh (worth checking tho)

country gent
04-30-2018, 12:24 AM
Mc Master Carr and some others sell screen in specified mesh sizes for grading different things. Whike not as cheap as walmarts or dollar stores you know what you are getting and what you have.