PDA

View Full Version : 20-1 Alloy

snowwolfe
11-26-2005, 05:16 PM
I do not mind buying alloy's of known composition. Whats this forum's opinion of using 20-1 alloy for 44 mags (250 gr) and the S&W 500 (400gr)?

Buckshot
11-27-2005, 07:50 AM
..............Ah, what kinda loads ya thinking about?

............Buckshot

snowwolfe
11-27-2005, 03:53 PM
Not sure of the velocities I would obtain but looking for a stiff load for my S&W 500. I am guessing 1350-1400 fps. Bullet weight ranging from 400-440 grains. Most opinions seem to be that lyman#2 may be diffuclt to cast in this size range. So I was thinking of ordering some 20-1 or possibly adding a pound of lead to 9 pounds of Lyman #2.

Buckshot
11-28-2005, 07:00 AM
...........In the old days, 20-1 was considered hard, and 16-1 was like REALLY hard, but as proven there isn't much gain between the two. Tin has used up about all it's ability to harden lead at those mix levels. The alloy BHN is about 11 which is WW area.

Of course there is a difference in the alloy's toughness (if you will) as WW get's the majority of it's hardness from the small amount of antimony in it, and the tin is there only to aid in fluidity for casting fillout. A mix of 20-1 will also be more expensive as you're dealing with pure constituent parts. It's much easier to get scrap in the form of WW's then it is to buy pure lead and pure tin.

You don't say if those slugs are GC'd or PB'd but I will guess that a PB slug of WW alloy will be able to stand the load. If you're after penetration with 'some' expansion then WW alloy ought to provide it at the speeds you mention. Naturally depending upon striking velocity (distance) and bullet shape.

Remember, your boolits are already a half inch in diameter to begin with! But if you want the softest slug possible, at those speeds you'll have to experiment as there are several variables, GC or PB aside. I would cast 50 slugs of WW alloy and shoot them to see what happens. If they do the job then add some lead to the remaining melt and cast 50 of those. Shoot and see. That is, if expansion is what you're after.

.............Buckshot

44man
11-28-2005, 01:10 PM
You sure don't need any expansion with the .50, just a flat meplat. That soft stuff might raise pressures and it also might lead the gun badly. Lots of pressure in the .500. That soft stuff will turn to putty. Personally, I would shoot WW's with a small amount of tin and antimony added. Why in the world do you want expansion? That boolit is as big as a fully expanded 30-06 bullet.

snowwolfe
11-28-2005, 03:50 PM
I never said I needed expansion. And I also said I didnt mind spending the money to order alloy of known compositions. Paying $1.25 a pound for refined 20-1 alloy is cheap to me compared to buying store bought bullets. As I said before and will say it again, getting wheelweights where I live is a dead issue and doesnt even need to be discussed. Last thread I was told that Lyman #2 was probably to difficult to cast in a large bullet for the .500 so that is why I posted the question about using 20-1. I do not want the softer slugs possible. I am new here and looking for resonable answers so I can make smart purchases of supplies.
So, if Lyman #2 may be to hard for my uses how would 20-1 work? How about adding 1 pound of lead to a 9 pound block of lyman #2?

45 2.1
11-28-2005, 03:56 PM
Snowwolfe-

Contact "the antimonyman" (do a search) and get some enrichment alloy which has antimony in it. Bill will tell you how to get the alloy you need with his materials. You can water drop or air cool these to get the hardness you want. Bill gives good advice and service.

snowwolfe
11-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Are you saying to add the enrichment alloy to the 20-1 alloy?

45 2.1
11-28-2005, 04:20 PM
Yes, like I said, contact Bill Ferguson at "theantimonyman".

wills
11-28-2005, 06:54 PM
http://www.theantimonyman.com/

44man
11-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Snow, sorry, I didn't get the problem you have getting WW's. Do you have a scrap yard where you can sell metals, like aluminum cans, near you? We have one close by and they have barrels of lead that I can buy cheap. They also have barrels of WW's. If you can find a place, then get some tin and antimony from Bill to make your alloys. The scrap yard here never gets any tin though which is disappointing.
Buying 20 to 1 is expensive and as long as you have to buy it, it would not cost much more for a harder alloy. Shipping will kill you!

swheeler
11-28-2005, 07:29 PM
Snowwolfe: there's a guy about 200 miles north of you that can set you up with whatever you need. Dan of The Bull Shop, he posts here, just ask. With shipping costs to AK from lower 48, you could give him a call and drive up cheaper than having it shipped. Hope this helps you.

snowwolfe
11-28-2005, 09:52 PM
Shipping isnt expensive anywhere in the USA anymore. I am currently getting alloy delivered to me using the USPS flat rate boxes for $7.70. Each box can hold up to 70 pounds and is delivered priority air mail anywhere in the USA. Surely you folks knew about this? It has been in existence for over a year. If you folks are not shipping that way you should consider it.

Beau Cassidy
11-28-2005, 10:40 PM
Almost sounds like another Alaska Airlift is in order to help a fellow brother out.

DOUBLEJK
11-28-2005, 11:40 PM
snowwolfe

Ifin' ya don't mind usein' EBay fer buyin' castin' alloys there's a gent sellin' linotype fer bout $1.25lb with shipping in those $7.70 mailers....sure casts purty boolits n thier bout BHN 20-22 so sure hard nuff fer yer guns...in a pre expanded like the S&W .500 they aughta werk good...
Glad I live where WW's er cheap....shootin' up yer way's a bit higher priced...welcome aboard n enjoy them home brews...

Buckshot
11-29-2005, 12:43 AM
............Snowwolfe, sorry. I guess I missunderstood what you were wanting to find out.

..........Buckshot

44man
11-30-2005, 09:59 AM
I didn't know about the flat rate boxes, Thank you!

snowwolfe
11-30-2005, 04:25 PM
Just go to the Post Office and pick em up for free. These are the best idea since sliced bread.

The Nyack Kid
11-30-2005, 04:47 PM
Just go to the Post Office and pick em up for free. These are the best idea since sliced bread.
unless your a little 110# lady who works at a postoffice , like my mom .

Scrounger
11-30-2005, 05:09 PM
Sets of encyclopedias were the back breakers when I was working. I think 60 to 70 pounds of lead in one of those boxes is too much, I would never send them out of regard for the people who have to handle them. Someone did send me a couple of them, though, and the lady who delivers my mail lifted them up on my back porch as easily as I'd lift a shoe box. 'Course she's a tall redhead from Alaska... Of all the carriers I've seen here, maybe 20 or so, all of them are women except for one! Glad I'm retired.

By the way, today I officially become a useless old fart (65). Actually I've been masquerading as one for the past 13 years since I retired. Just numbers on a piece of paper...

snowwolfe
11-30-2005, 06:40 PM
Sorry,lol. I didnt invent the idea the Post Office did. I just use it to save a few bucks. Cheers!