PDA

View Full Version : Smelted my first batch of lead yesterday!

Bareen
04-27-2018, 01:50 PM
I'm at work so I don't have pics, but yesterday I finally got around to smelting my first batch of lead. It was about half range lead and half ~4% antimony lead I had gotten a few years ago, about 60lbs total. I used enough solder to get the tin up to about 2%.

For equipment I used a harbor freight weed burner and a cast iron cauldron for the pot. A 10" cast iron lid fits the cauldron perfectly. I don't know the specific alloy, but it's fairly hard and seems to cast alright into bullets, I did a couple test bullets last night, but I am going to hopefully do a lot more this weekend, once I get a SWC mold for my 357 mag.

All the lead I have used previously has been hardened lead already in ingot form given to me by my grandfather, who used to cast and shoot a lot, but his health doesn't allow him to do much casting anymore.

Now I need to find a source of lead as none of the scrap yards in my area that I have talked to sell to individuals and living in IL, there is no such thing as lead wheel weights.:cry:

bangerjim
04-27-2018, 09:22 PM
Good start. You really only need about 1% Sn. That is all I ever use. The darned stuff is expensive and most do not have much of it. I am fortunate to have several hundred pounds of pure Sn ingots.

Most shooting I do is 10-12 hardness with PC for lube. No need to have super hard!

COWW’s are pretty much a thing of the past. Most tire stores have contracts with scrap mongers and cannot give/trade buckets of the stuff as in the olde daze. I get all my Pb and alloy on here and from local scrap yards. I am very happy to pay $1/pound for pure/Sn/hardball/alloys. Hope you do not live in a liberal commy area where the yards will not sell you Pb! Can you say “ROAD TRIP”!

As I said....good start. I can go thry 60# of boolits in one range session!!!!!!!! 300gn slugs burn thru Pb real fast!

Good luck and safe shooting!

kens
04-27-2018, 09:43 PM
It takes less tin and antimony than a lot of people talk about.
96-2-2 is a good mix.
Take that and water quench, and it gets hard enough for rifle or mag pistol.
Air cool it and it is good for low & slow loads.

glockfan
04-28-2018, 12:43 AM
well done.60lbs is enough for couple k's of boolits.

i'm getting 43-45 rounds a pound with 147's .....so far i have collected enough COWW in 5 months to turn it into 400lbs of clean ingots ready to cast . i'm seeking 800lbs before ''''warming the molds'''''. i consider myself lucky as i still can get full buckets of COWW ; i'm making a point of visiting all the repair shops along every outings with the truck anywhere i go.i always have 2-3 empty buckets in the car -truck just in case. i like COWW ,it cost nothing and i'm getting an easy 10-11 BHN easy air cool'ed , a little more WQ'ed.

Bareen
04-28-2018, 01:03 AM
I can't get any COWW. IL got rid of them several years ago. And even living right on the state line with MO, the few tire shops that get lead wheel weights already have people that pick them up. Most of my lead is from range scrap, and while it's free, it's a lot of work. Still, I can't complain, I haven't had to spend much on lead yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zymguy
04-28-2018, 01:24 AM
we could buy all our alloy from roto metals and still be better off than many shooters, and thats not counting the less quantifiable bennifits of casting. That said im able to get some "free" coww and i do belive they're more fun to shoot =)

Bareen
04-28-2018, 02:04 AM
Yeah even buying 'MSRP' lead from roto beats a lot of fmj's. I do love using their pure lead for my muzzleloader though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lightman
04-28-2018, 09:17 AM
It sounds like you are off to a good start. One of the most important things to do when scrounging for lead is networking. Pass the word to your friends, family and co-workers. And always be on the lookout. You might consider placing a want to buy ad in your local paper or on craigslist. Talk with the owner at the shop where you buy your tires or get your car serviced. Talk with any local roofing or plumbing contractors. Study the threads on this forum to learn about the things made of lead.

bangerjim
04-28-2018, 01:40 PM
Study the threads on this forum to learn about the things made of lead.

Anything..........EXCEPT car batteries!!!!! Definitely NOT a source of Pb. Take old batteries to your scrap yard, get the money for them, and buy Pb and alloy where you can find it.

Melting car battery plates is only a death wish.

banger

NEVER EVER try to melt down old car batteries!!!!!!!

LeadRecycler
05-07-2018, 12:26 PM
Autozone will give you you a $10 gift card for each car battery you bring in, up to 5 per day.

472x1B/A
05-07-2018, 04:13 PM
I'm at work so I don't have pics, but yesterday I finally got around to smelting my first batch of lead. It was about half range lead and half ~4% antimony lead I had gotten a few years ago, about 60lbs total. I used enough solder to get the tin up to about 2%.

For equipment I used a harbor freight weed burner and a cast iron cauldron for the pot. A 10" cast iron lid fits the cauldron perfectly. I don't know the specific alloy, but it's fairly hard and seems to cast alright into bullets, I did a couple test bullets last night, but I am going to hopefully do a lot more this weekend, once I get a SWC mold for my 357 mag.

All the lead I have used previously has been hardened lead already in ingot form given to me by my grandfather, who used to cast and shoot a lot, but his health doesn't allow him to do much casting anymore.

Now I need to find a source of lead as none of the scrap yards in my area that I have talked to sell to individuals and living in IL, there is no such thing as lead wheel weights.:cry:

Hi Bareen. Got a truck? Galva Iron and Scrape always has at least 2 ton of lead on hand at all times. Sells to the public too. Lets go split a ton together.